SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Leonard Ravenhill and tongues

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
live4jc

Re: Leonard Ravenhill and tongues

I sometimes think about how Ravenhill (and others like him) had spent so much of their energies praying for revival, and preaching towards that end- and yet never got to experience a revival firsthand.

But then again, if we define revival as a revolutionary work of the Spirit that occurs first...in the heart of an ‘individual’... then maybe even now the godly dreams of men like Ravenhill are coming to fruition. For if a ‘revived life’ can be likened to a stream that carries life giving waters, then the legacy of the godly can be seen in the rivulets that dot our globe. When these rivulets meet up with one another, they happily converge together to form a mighty river.

Psalm 46:4,5
"There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High. God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early."

In Christ,
John

2008/10/8 23:47Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, i have oft heard him say that you need to be baptized in the Holy Spirit with all that comes with it,jimp

2008/10/9 3:24Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

“Indeed, he denied ever speaking or praying in tongues all his life”. Could you maybe give one example or reference? The sentence, as you write it, suggests many denials.

He did it in multiple sermons throughout his life. However, one in particular strikes me. I think it was either one sermon he preached immediately before he broke his back during a fire at a hotel he was at, or it was the first sermon he preached after he had recovered enough to do so. Unfortunately, I cannot recall the name of the sermon. It was preached in the 60's I think. Maybe somebody here can point it out?

2008/10/9 6:46Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I've not had time to listen to it again, but I believe this is the message where Ravenhill denies speaking in tongues:

Revival - https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=2264

Description: This sermon was given by Ravenhill in 1955. This must have been just before he was injured. What a fiery message, I think this was about the time that Ravenhill speaks of the revival at Tozer church. The agony of deceived and lost people going to hell is overwhelming.

All I remember is that this sermon was absolutely amazing. He speaks with such incredible unction throughout the message, and, somewhere in the middle denies having ever spoken in tongues. His congregation was obviously very Pentecotsal, as they help him preach quite a bit :-)

2008/10/9 6:51Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

I know that Leonard Ravenhill believed in the gifts of the Spirit. I know of several men that sat under brother Ravenhill's ministry, and they all spoke in tongues.

When I received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, it was several months later that I actually spoke in tongues. Since the day of Pentecost almost all of the well known saints have testified to be filled with the Holy Spirit, some of them spoke in tongues, and others didn't. I don't think that we should make tongues the issue as to whether or not they were baptized in the Spirit. They moved in the power of God and that was evidence that they were filled with the Spirit.

The Holy Spirit in our lives will sancitify us and bring forth the fruit of the Spirit in our lives, making us more like Jesus.

Mike

Pentecost - Leonard Ravenhill

This promise was exclusive - "Ye shall receive power." Who was to receive the promise? Only the followers of Christ.

The promise was exciting - "Ye shall receive power." In eager anticipation of this blessed enduement, the waiting ones could see all their weakness evaporating in the baptism of fire.

The promise was explicit - "Not many days hence."

The promise was expanding - This thing was not to be done in a corner, nor whispered among the redeemed. It would reach out through them to Judea, Samaria, and the uttermost parts of the earth.

This promise was exalting - In the whole world of created things there is no greater power than that of the Holy Spirit of God. They were to be filled with the Spirit of the living God. Earth has no greater honor than that.

Angels, behold and wonder!

Every thing in the heavens above, or in the earth beneath, or in the waters above the earth - all these are the work of His fingers and this Mighty one is He who condescends to come and indwell mortals.

But though Pentecost meant power to the disciples - it also meant prison to them. Pentecost meant enduement - it almost meant banishment. Pentecost meant favor with God - it also brought hatred from men. Pentecost brought great miracles - it also brought mighty obstacles. Pentecost brought anointing for the upper room preachers - it also brought appointing a deacon and under the enduement he turned Samaria upside down.

In Europe Pentecost Sunday is always called Whitsunday (White Sunday), and the children usually dress in white. The disciples were "made white" at the first Pentecost - that is, their hearts were "purified by faith" (Acts 15:8, 9). This purification is a lost accent these days in interpreting the Baptism with Spirit. Under the title of Spirit-filled churches, there are some weird and wanton things operating at present.

If too much stress has not been made of the gifts of the Spirit, then too little has been said of the fruit of the Spirit. Note how few books are available on the fruits of the Spirit, but how many on the gifts of the Spirit. Yet the Son of God said, "By their fruits ye shall know them."

The first essential for the coming of the Holy Ghost into a heart today is that the heart should be cleansed from sin, for the Holy Spirit does not fill an unclean heart. What God has cleansed, He then fills. Finally, whom God fills, He uses. A holy life is the authentic sign of being filled with the Spirit.

Today we need a revival of holy living. Why do we have to hang a sign outside our church to announce that we are Fundamental and Biblical? Because without a sign, no one could identify us? When I passed through a town that a few days before had been torn apart by a tornado, I assure you I had not to be told a mighty wind had cleaved the place. A fire is self-announcing. A conflagration needs no publicity. When the fire of the Holy Ghost falls again and the mighty wind of the Spirit comes (I am positive He is coming), then our "bush" will burn too, and a Moses will turn again to see the great sight. Even so, come Holy Ghost! Come quickly!

2008/10/9 11:24Profile
live4jc

Re: Leonard Ravenhill and tongues

Hi everyone,

Personally, I've never heard of anything in Ravenhill's writings which indicates whether or not he himself had ever spoken in tongues. However, I was just listening again to this message delivered by Duncan Campbell, who was Ravenhill's contemporary and friend. At approximately the 60% mark of this sound file, Campbell shares about the fact that during the Hebrides revival many miraculous occurences took place, including visions and other manifestations. However, no healings or speaking in tongues took place during the revival. Campbell said that he did believe in tongues and he would encounter tongues speaking later, after the revival.

I love the simplicity with which Campbell explains what revival is : 'An awareness of God'.

May we again witness such a mighty move of God, in this generation !

http://downloads2.sermonindex.us/0/SID0355.mp3

In Jesus,
John

2008/10/10 17:25Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Leonard Ravenhill said Prayer in its highest form is agonizing soul sweat.

Charles Finney said For a long time I tried to get my prayer before the Lord; but somehow words could not express it. I could only groan and weep, without being able to express what I wanted in words.

The highest form of prayer said Lenoard Ravenhill is to agonize with Soul sweat. Charles Finney describes this prayer as a groaning and weeping that he was not able to express how he felt with words.

Luk 22 v 44 And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

Not just tounges but groans Ravenhill seems to know about this type of prayer.

[url=http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=eBDGBCgCdBMC&pg=PA29&lpg=PA29&dq=For+a+long+time+I+(Charles+Finney)+tried+to+get+my+prayer+before+the+Lord%3B+but+somehow+words+could+not+express+it.++I+could+only+groan+and+weep,+without+being+able+to+express+what+I+wanted+in+words.&source=web&ots=lHGUU3CDDv&sig=lHopJEzBsh6HxOcSX-JbBXnD0pg&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result]Google Books Charles Finney Memoirs[/url]

2008/10/11 6:17Profile
JoanM

Re:

Thank you dear brothers. My brother (in both ways) just asked and the thread just happen to get posted. great references.

I love how he put it, in effect, "you can't be filled with the Holy Spirit without noticing it."

Amen

2008/10/11 6:41Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Lenoard Raven Hill said;

Prayer is profoundly simple and simply profound. "Prayer is the simplest form of speech that infant lips can try," and yet so sublime that it outranges all speech and exhausts man's vocabulary.

A Niagara of burning words does not mean that God is either impressed or moved. One of the most profound of Old Testament intercessors had no language "Her lips moved, but her voice was not heard." No linguist here! There are groanings which cannot be uttered."

Are we so substandard to New Testament Christianity that we know not the historical faith of our fathers (with its implications and operations), but only the hysterical faith of our fellows?

[url=http://www.scrollpublishing.com/store/Ravenhill-Revival.html]Why Revival Tarries By Lenoard Ravenhill[/url]

2008/10/13 6:20Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy