SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Hymn Book

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Limey153

Berkshire, England

Hymn Book

Hi folks, could anyone here recommend a good old fashioned hymn book that I would be able to acquire on somewhere like Amazon?
I have been printing off old hymns from cyber-hymnal but the prints very quickly get torn and tatty. I did look on amazon myself except all that is ever shown is the title and cover and therefore I would have no idea as to how good the content is. :-(

Many thanks.

2008/10/6 14:27Profile
Lor_E

Montana USA

Re: Hymn Book

This Hymn book, The Christian Hymnary has the majority of really good older hymns that have been published it also includes some from the 'book of maryters' which are very interesting. The songs titles are first line titles, but it really has many, many precious songs in it.
This is the link I found on Amazon.
[url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0878131051/ref=sr_1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223318897&sr=8-1]Christian Hymnary[/url]
You can also find it new at: [url=http://homefirespub.com/the_christian_hymnary.html]HomeFires Publishing[/url]

In Christ,
Lori

2008/10/6 14:57Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

"Zion's Praises" is also a wonderful hymnal. It can be purchased on Amazon but it is more expensive there. It can be purchased here as well: http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/item/6639/?list=Songbooks

I also have the "Christian Hymnary" and it is a wonderful hymn book.

Here are some more hymn books I have: "The Book of Hymns" by the United Methodist Publishing House; "Hymns of Glorious Praise" by Gospel Publishing House; "Songs of Inspiration" by John T. Benson Publishing Company.

You may find more at old book sellers, antique stores or thrift stores. When I go to thrift stores I always look for old song books and have found nice ones for very little money. Then there is eBay. If you know what you are looking for, you can set your search where eBay will email you when a another one is listed.

Do you read music? can you take any song and learn to sing it? This is a delighful skill...singing notes and before too many tries you can sing it! Old fashioned, perhaps, but it is inexpensive and it works!

Best Wishes in your search,
ginnyrose

2008/10/7 1:32Profile
Limey153

Berkshire, England

Re:

Many thanks for the replys this will help alot. :-)
I cannot read music however I am learning a great many through [url=www.cyberhymnal.org]www.cyberhymnal.org[/url] as may know if you have been on the site, as you click onto a particular hymn it not only shows the words but plays the music as well. I have learnt a great many through this wonderful site and hence I am now keen to get a good hymn book. I went onto cyberhymnal last night and though it may sound very silly, I was really getting excited in learning some of these hymns.
Does anyone else here find that they have a very different feeling in singing these old meaningful songs opposed to the more modern repetitive songs? Its almost as if you can feel the Holy Spirit in approval and rejoicing in them.

2008/10/7 3:32Profile
Lor_E

Montana USA

Re:

Quote:
Does anyone else here find that they have a very different feeling in singing these old meaningful songs

Most hymns are so special to me, when I sing them or even when I read them. One reason I think that is, is because the people who wrote them did not write them for commercial purposes; they did not write them to evoke emotion or some atmosphere.
(I realize that not all modern songs were written because of these things, but many are.)

Instead, they were written because of their walk, their relationship with Christ and the inspiration of it, or even perhaps some revelation of the spirit of Christ-Himself and His wonder!

[i]singing to one another in hymns...[/i]

Most hymn books have a collection of wonderful hymns in them. I have collected them through the years; but some have songs you may never see in other hymnbooks, most of them are dear and precious to me.

[i]-Edwin Hatch
Breathe on me, Breath of God,
Fill me with life anew,
That I may love what Thou dost love
and do what Thou wouldst do.[/i]

I didn't want to write out the whole song, but when he says: until my heart is pure... till I am wholly Thine... til all this earthly part of me glows with Thy fire divine.. These are longings of a heart that desires to be a testimony to the Living God! (More than just to feel good themselves.)

Just my simple opinion.

In Christ,
Lori

2008/10/7 8:51Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Limey wrote:

Quote:
Its almost as if you can feel the Holy Spirit in approval and rejoicing in them.

And this is exactly why I do not like modern/contemporary Christian music. It lacks this quality, just like Lori says

Quote:
Instead, they were written because of their walk, their relationship with Christ and the inspiration of it, or even perhaps some revelation of the spirit of Christ-Himself and His wonder!

This morning in my Bible reading - which is in Philippians at the moment - I got stuck on chapter 1: 9-10: "And I pray that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and discernment so that you may approve the things which are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ." (NASB). (Oh, I have been thinking a lot about this verse recently: just what all does this mean??)

Paul wishes for us all to have knowledge, discernment so we can approve those things which are excellent so we can be blameless until the LORD appears! Awesome! Think about that! Then a song came to me and here are the lyrics (cyberhymnal does not have this):

At Jesus' Feet

v. 1 Amid life's ever changeful scene
My trustful soul on Jesus leans
The sun may shine, the storm may beat,
I'll humble bow at Jesus' feet.

Chorus:
There is no place on earth so sweet, as kneeling down at Jesus' feet
In close communion there we meet
My loving Saviour and my King.

v.2 Lo, there is cleansing for my sin
His precious blood makes peace within
And strength is there and courage true
That I his holy will may do.

Chorus

v. 3: Beset by sorrow, toil or care
I always find blest comfort there
He gives me overcoming grace
And guiding light, His steps to trace.

Chorus

v. 4: Faith, hope and love are quickened there
New life I gain in constant prayer
Someday in brighter realms we'll meet
Till then I'll tarry at his feet.

Chorus

The future looks very bleak on many fronts. The governments of this world are reeling and the people therein; God is exposing hidden sin in many people and how do we respond? Do we respond with tolerance and excuses? or do we rejoice so one can assist them to find reconciliation with the LORD? What is our reaction? I suppose this is why we need to "abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment..."

Lord, help us all!

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2008/10/7 17:28Profile

Re:

My church uses the Living Hymns hymnal.
http://www.livinghymns.org/resources.aspx

It is an excellent hymnal.

2008/10/7 17:52
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

[url=http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=1109M&event=ENETP]The Church Hymnal[/url] is a good old-fashioned hymnal. It has a lot of the good old hymns, they're even written in shape notes. :-)

2008/10/7 18:52Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Recently I became aware of some recordings you might be interested in. Here is their website:
http://www.dallaschristiansound.com/newsite/StoreProductLines.htm

Dallas Christian Adult Choir sings hymns acapella style. The CD we have is one hour long. I keep it in the car and listen to these songs and sing (alto) along with them. They are easy to sing along, words are distinct and clear. I tell you after traveling a ways and singing like that it will put you in an excellent frame of mind - one far better then listening to what comes out of the radio!

Actually, if you click onto this link you may hear their singing...

Just thought I would share this with you..

ginnyrose

2008/10/17 23:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy