Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Something to remember

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Something to remember

Hi everyone,

This morning something stood out to me from the 1st letter to the Corinthains, from chapter one.

I wondered if I could share it with you all?

It is how, Paul, the Apostle of Christ, began his letter to these Christians,

He writes[i]...to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus...[/i].

I realise that may not seem like much but maybe you could bare with me for a moment.

This stands out to me because, he goes on to write to people who were devisive(1:11), self-serving(11:21), who tolerated fornication in their midst(5:1), disorderly(14:26) and I don't remember what else off hand.

But of that people, he begins by writting [i]...to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus...[/i]. Yes, called to be Saints. But he does not neglect to call them first, sanctified.

So, why do I even mention this? Is it to excuse any of these things now, for us or in our day? God forbid.

But why do I mention it? Because, I think it is good to be reminded who it is we are talking about, when we write pages upon pages, and when we speak words upon words, about people called Christians, and the people called the Church.

I think it is good if we remember Who these people belong to, and Whose people these are that we are talking about with our words and writting about in our pages.

I know they do not belong to me. Nor to you.

But Who do they belong to?

And Whose are they about whom you speak?

2008/9/29 18:41Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re: Something to remember

Interesting thought! Thanks for sharing.

2008/9/29 19:08Profile

Hi Chris....I agree with your sentiment. God had more compassion on Ninevah than Jonah. If God has that much love for a wicked godless city, then how much love should we have for our brothers and sisters in Christ. Yet, in everything there is a tension and we muct find the balance.

I think of William Wilberforce who wrote "Real Christianity," in which he challenged the notions of those who called themselves Christians but were not. That book helped lead to the end of slavery(although did not do much for Christianity) Then George Whitlfield wrote an open letter accusing most of the clergy of the time that they knew "nothing of the new birth." Out of that led to him being banned from most of the pulpits and led him to preach to tens of thousands in fields and there came upon us the great awakening. C.S Lewis in Mere Christianity challenged the notion of men calling themsleves "Christians," when indeed the word had been emptied of its meaning, and that was back in the 40s. Dietrcih Bonhoeffer also challenged what it means to actually be a Christian in "The Cost of Discipleship."

Let us pray that the Lord would pour out His wisdom upon us and that we would be as "wise as serpents and as harmless as doves." ....brother Frank

2008/9/29 20:19
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi Appolus,

My concern was not to remind us of love for the Church, but rather Whose Church it is that we are talking about with our words and to ask us to consider if we have the authority and direction from God to speak about what belongs to Him in the way that we are.

And too, I appreciate the call to remember the examples of those in the past. I think their example can give us precedent. But, I do not think that precedent gives us liscense - to act as they acted, or authority - to say what they said.

Besides this, how many multitudes of voices are there in the world saying those things and whatever else they choose to, about the Church that belongs to the Lord Jesus Christ.

I for one, in the midst of such a multitude of voices, all speaking about the Church of the Lord Jesus Christ, think it is wise to hear from someone who had the authority to begin his letters saying

"Paul called [i]to be[/i] an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God..."

and began his words to God's purchased posession by saying

"Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus..."

2008/9/30 5:53Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Hello Chris,

In order to have any lasting meaning, all of our words must be of Him. In order for any good to be brought forth, our words must flow through Him. If our words are not of Him, they are of the devil and cause destruction to the Church of Christ.

It is sometimes difficult for me to remember that there are times that His children are under the influence of Satan. Back when I first came on SermonIndex I used to think that maybe there were two different people posting under the same name, or that some of the people had a split personality. While sometimes a person's words would pour forth with beauty and wisdom, at other times they were choppy and hateful. I have come to know that this is due to whose authority it is that they are posting under.

For myself, I always try to make sure I sincerely pray before posting, preview what I have written, and before I hit the "submit" button I stop and consider whether or not that is what I am indeed doing. When I am speaking to others, I try to watch and listen for any signals that I need to shut up - often it is silence that He requires. It really is a golden rule that if you do not have something good to say, don't say anything - unless it is something that He requires.

Unfortunately I still need to repent often for things that I have said that are not of Him. I ask Him to forgive me, and to stop any damage that these words might bring forth. Words are very powerful - both for good, and for evil.

In the beginning was the Word . . .

2008/9/30 7:15Profile

Re:

Hi Chris ......are you saying that just because there are a multitude of voices that one should not speak out when prompted by the Lord?

Obvioulsy everyone would agree that if one is not speaking from the Lord then one should not speak, I believe that no one would disagree with that. Yet the simple fact is that most people who spoke by the authority of God, spoke to the state of Israel or the state of the church. Thank God for people like Luther and Tozer and Ravenhill and so on..."to those who have ears to hear.".....Frank

2008/9/30 8:55
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Hi again, everyone.

I thought to share also here how Paul the Apostle of Jesus Christ, goes on to write in the letter:

"For we are laborers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, [i]ye are[/i] God's building. According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon."

- 1 Corinthians 3:9-10(KJV)

And in Ephesians, he speaks of that building, as the body, of Christ.

2008/9/30 18:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy