SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Rhapsody in Black: The Life Story of John Jasper

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ravenmolehil

North Carolina, US

Rhapsody in Black: The Life Story of John Jasper

[img]http://www.graceandtruthbooks.com/files/american-history/RhapsodyinBlack_1.jpg[/img]

Has anybody read this book (I heard mention of it in a sermon & it sounds like a must read) I have searched for a pdf but still no luck...

Here is a description:
Rhapsody in Black: The Life Story of John Jasper
We treasure the arrival of this 2nd biographical volume about Virginia's famous slave preacher. Born into bondage in 1812, Jasper knew well what it was to "bear the yoke" in the hot summer fields of the South. Any black man of that era bore a tremendous burden; but if ever a man would have been justified to grow bitter with life, John Jasper was the man! Cruelly treated by many, he loved both his own race and the white race, and with nobility embraced the forgiveness of the gospel. His view was, with what Christ had done for him, how could he do otherwise? A superbly inspiring story of an uncomplaining man, a hero of immense faith, to be imitated by all: who suffered injustice as Christ did and preached the gospel as his answer to injustice.

Here is a little more Biographical info. for those interested:
John Jasper
1812 - 1901
"I have finished my work. I am waiting at the river, looking across for further orders."-John Jasper's last words."

On July 4, 1812, the 24th child of Philip and Tina Jasper came into this world. Philip, a slave and a lay minister, died a few months before John's birth.

Tina, a godly woman, prayed that God would make her son a preacher as his father had been. For many years it seemed those prayers would not be answered. John had no interest in spiritual things. He had fallen in love with a girl from a neighboring plantation and been given permission to marry her. But on the day of their wedding, a slave uprising caused their masters to separate them, and John never saw her again. In bitterness he descended into evil living.

John was rebellious and constantly in trouble with his owners. It was while he was at work in a tobacco warehouse in 1839 that Jasper, stricken with "God's arrow of conviction," prayed and asked God to save him. Thirty days after his baptism in 1840, he was licensed to preach by the Old African Baptist Church, and he didn't stop for more than sixty years!

Black men were not allowed to preach in regular churches in those days unless supervised by white ministers. But Jasper's pointed and powerful messages soon drew a growing crowd, black and white, to hear him preach.

The Third Baptist Church in Petersburg, Virginia asked Jasper to preach twice a month, and other churches noticed a decline in their attendance on those Sundays. During the closing days of the Civil War, Jasper was asked to preach to the Confederate soldiers in the hospitals around Richmond. When the war ended, Jasper continued to preach.

In 1867 he founded the Sixth Mount Zion Baptist Church in Richmond. The church began with nine members. Fifteen years later there were more than 1,000 members, and at his death they numbered nearly 2,000.

Dr. William Hatcher, pastor of the Grace Baptist Church in Richmond, was a close personal friend of Jasper. He spent many hours teaching the former slave about the things of God. When some of his members criticized him for going to hear the nearly illiterate former slave, Hatcher responded: "I do not go there to listen to Jasper's English. I go to hear him talk about his Jesus."

In March of 1901, John Jasper preached to his congregation for the last time on the subject, "Ye Must Be Born Again." He urged his people to prepare for death, which he knew was coming soon for him. At his funeral, Dr. Hatcher said, "Every motion of his was made to exalt the Lord of his life."

2008/9/29 11:55Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy