SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Divine Wisdom And Human Wisdom by Zac Poonen

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Divine Wisdom And Human Wisdom by Zac Poonen

[b]Divine Wisdom And Human Wisdom[/b]
[i]by Zac Poonen[/i]

We can get an understanding of divine wisdom from the book of Proverbs. Ecclesiastes however is human wisdom - the wisdom of the man who lives "under the sun" (Eccles 1:3). The expression 'under the sun' comes often in Ecclesiastes, because its writer lived under the sun. Proverbs however demonstrates the wisdom of a man who lived above the sun. This is where we are called to live – in the heavenlies. Then why has God placed the book of Ecclesiastes in the Bible? The Bible describes human wisdom in order to show how much higher divine wisdom is than that. A large portion of the book of Job, consists of the speeches of three preachers who said much about God with their human wisdom, but which was mostly all wrong (Job 42:7). Yet God allowed their words to be recorded in Scripture. Ecclesiastes has been included in Scripture to show us that even the wisest man on earth can miss finding God when he depends on his human cleverness. Jesus once said, "I thank You, Father, that You have hidden these things from the clever and the intelligent, but You have revealed them unto babes" (Mt.11:25). What do babes have that clever and intelligent people do not have? Humility. It is very difficult for a clever, intelligent person to be humble. It is not wrong to be intelligent, but it is certainly ungodly to be proud of one's intelligence. Proud men can never understand God's ways, no matter how intelligent they may be.

The Books of Ecclesiastes and Proverbs can be compared to the offerings of Cain and Abel. Cain's offering was a religious offering. Abel's was a spiritual offering. Throughout the ages, there has been a constant conflict between religious people and spiritual people. Saul was a religious person - a man of the head. But David was a spiritual person - a man of the heart. The Pharisees were religious. But Jesus was spiritual. Our brain is important. But it was created to be subservient to the heart and the Holy Spirit, even as Eve was created to submit to Adam. The streams of religiosity and spirituality that began with Cain and Abel, continued on with Nimrod and Abraham and ends with Babylon and Jerusalem in Revelation. We see a similar contrast between Ecclesiastes and Proverbs.

Ecclesiastes demonstrates how one can have a lot of knowledge and yet not be spiritual at all. The human wisdom that is found in psychology today has many good things in it. But it is not divine wisdom. And it is more dangerous when divine wisdom is mixed with human wisdom than if you had human wisdom all by itself. If someone wanted to poison you, he would mix a little bit of poison with a lot of milk. Things that are totally bad are easy to detect. But psychology has a lot of good in it – and that is why it can be dangerous. It is not divine wisdom. Divine wisdom comes from the Scriptures alone. Many things that psychologists say who do not submit their minds to God's Word are wrong. If you follow them, you will go astray.

Ecclesiastes contains the words of a preacher (Eccles 1:1). Most preachers are interested only in preaching good sermons. And for that, they use only their heads. Therefore their sermons do not go to people's hearts - because it does not come from their own hearts. Proverbs doesn't deal with preaching but with practising. We must preach only what we have already practised. This is the difference between religiosity and spirituality. This was the difference between the Pharisees and Jesus. Jesus said, "The Pharisees say things but do not do them" (Matt.23:3). But He said there was nothing wrong with what they taught. The Pharisees were the fundamentalists of their time. But they did not live what they preached in the pulpit.

With Jesus it was different: "Jesus (first) did and then taught" (Acts.1:1). He did not practice what He preached, but He preached what He had already practised. He practised for thirty before He preached. That is true godliness.

2008/9/26 11:07Profile
JoanM

Re: Divine Wisdom And Human Wisdom by Zac Poonen

Seeing, in the Word of God, that what Jesus said was reflected in what He did, as it is laid out in Scripture opens deep fruitful Truth. It is everywhere in Scripture. Seeing and hearing, with spiritual eyes, what is before us (brought before us) and responding accordingly, simply and clearly (words or actions) is like walking. The fruit of Divine Truth that has been walked in (walked out) gives testimony much the way Jesus speaks of His works testifying. Oh that we might do this more. [b]This is not just for pastors[/b].

[u]Zac Poonen[/u]: [i]“But psychology has a lot of good in it – and that is why it can be dangerous. It is not divine wisdom. Divine wisdom comes from the Scriptures alone. Many things that psychologists say who do not submit their minds to God's Word are wrong. If you follow them, you will go astray.”[/i]

SIGH. While I do not think these forums are a place to get into this, I really am pressed to say there is not a shred of redeeming truth in all of psychology. It is equal to the theory of evolution in its opposition to Divine Truth, just more deceptive. Psychology is “ever learning, never ABLE to come to the knowledge of the Truth. It is part of Ecclesiastes. The world-view is the issue. Many pastors report having to choose between psychology and ministry, “psychological problems” intimidate them, psychology is extremely seductive and functions like Jannes and Jambres. This is transparent in Maslow.

I had better stop here. Perhaps Zac Poonen speaks more fully about psychology elsewhere. After all, this brief article was focused on the need of preachers, strengthening them.

I greatly appreciate what this living, preaching, man of God has to say. Finding him for the first time on Sermonindex has been encouraging.

2008/9/26 13:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy