SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : The Economy In My Area

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

The Economy In My Area

I'm wondering how everyone is being effected so far by the economy. I don't want to focus on the negative but I thought it would be a great outlet.

Here's what's happening in our area right now:

[b]Economy claims nation's largest Chevy dealer[/b]

BAY AREA (Bay News 9) -- The nation's largest Chevy dealer closed its dealerships - including two in Florida - this week.

Auto retailer Bill Heard Enterprises Inc. announced Wednesday that the company is going out of business. The dealership said in a statement that it didn't have the resources to keep operating, blaming the difficulties on a weak economy with high gas prices and an inventory heavy on SUVs and trucks.

They also said the current financial crisis played a role, as last month, GMAC Financial Services discontinued credit for new inventory for some of the new dealerships.

Nearly 3,000 employees are affected by the shutdown, including almost 400 at the Plant City and Sanford dealerships.

The company's closing is a harbinger of concern for an industry that has seen its share of troubles in recent years. Another sign of trouble is that car makers, the single largest category of advertisers in the U.S., have cut their ad spending by 18 percent in the second quarter.

Ad spending for the industry has now fallen 12 quarters in a row. Experts are also blaming high oil prices, the tightening of the credit market and the overall financial environment for the decrease in spending.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2008/9/25/385698.html?title=Economy+claims+nation's+largest+Chevy+dealer

2008/9/25 12:31
Compton

Re: The Economy In My Area

Quote:
I thought it would be a great outlet.

I certainly understand the desire to have an 'outlet.'

My only caution is that I've noticed that the prevailing mood in our country is impotent rage. This forum is one of the few remaining places on Earth where the prevailing focus is on omnipotent God. I would hate to see us lose that.

I'm not disagreeing with you or acting above it all. The burdens today are immense, and sharing is a valid response. Indeed, today's frustrating even frightening events threaten to overwhelm our thoughts. We are choking on sewers of information, facts, statistics, polls, and headlines, all the while as Isaiah said "truth has fallen in the streets." And the refuge from this emphasis is what makes SI so precious. If SI doesn't keep out this fretful sewage...whether as updates or even in the guise of personal prophesy, I will be saddened at the loss of a place where we can momentarily take our eyes off of the world groaning beneath the burden of it's sin.

To all the weary who are groaning,
beneath the burden of sin so cruel,
Come to Jesus, meek and lowly.
You will find rest for your soul.

Blessings,

MC

2008/9/25 13:11Profile

Re:

Quote:

Compton wrote:
Quote:
I thought it would be a great outlet.

I certainly understand the desire to have an 'outlet.'

My only caution is that I've noticed that the prevailing mood in our country is impotent rage. This forum is one of the few remaining places on Earth where the prevailing focus is on Christ. I would hate to see us lose that.

I'm not disagreeing with you or acting above it all. It is a valid response. Indeed, today's frustrating even frightening events threaten to overwhelm our thoughts. We are choking on sewers of information, facts, statistics, polls, and headlines, all the while as Isaiah said "truth has fallen in the streets." And the refuge from this emphasis is what makes SI so precious. If SI doesn't keep out this fretful sewage...whether as updates or even in the guise of personal prophesy, I will be saddened at the loss of a place where we can momentarily take our eyes off of the world groaning beneath the burden of it's sin.

To all the weary who are groaning,
beneath the burden of sin so cruel,
Come to Jesus, meek and lowly.
You will find rest for your soul.

Blessings,

MC

It's alot lighter subject than the Todd Bentley threads. It's scriptural to bear one anothers burdens.

Galatians 6:2
Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

This is where I see a [b]huge[/b] lack of balance sometimes on this forum. All I can say is that if you don't like reading about it than don't participate. I don't read alot on here that doesn't interest me.

2008/9/25 13:36
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: The Economy In My Area

We live in a predominate agricultural/aquacultural area. Very little manufacturing is done in our county.

The mood is cautious upbeat! The reason I say cautious because the catfish industry is presently reeling from high feed costs due to the high costs of grain used in its manufacture. But they are cautiously optimistic thinking this thing would change - sometime. Prices are higher but not enough to offset the increase costs of feed.

Now the grain farmers are smiling BIG smiles!

Have not heard anything from the cattle/sheep growers - very few in our area but I suspect they are doing OK because most cattle/sheep graze on pasture.

The chicken industry here is still in its infancy. There are several growers who have large operations and the company that is sponsoring them planned to build a lot more, and there were people whose plans have been approved by the local and state regulations. BUT the environmentalists come in and complain about the odors...and so now this company has put this expansion on hold which means the processing plant (for chickens) that was purchased by Koch will not open and there will be no jobs available there. This company is weary of paying attorney bills to fight their cases in court.

So if there is any depression in our county is is man-made by threats of lawsuits....(Lawsuits is a huge industry in our state!)

Otherwise - depression? where? Not here.

ginnyrose

2008/9/25 14:04Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:

I agree. I hope you understand I wasn't downplaying anything you said. And I certainly wasn't trying to be super-spiritual. In fact, I'm just confessing a weakness.

Still, I think checking the headlines for bad news is hardly bearing anyone's burdens. Are there to be no places left on Earth where the government and media doesn't set the table for us?

However, I don't want to give the impression of some 'restriction' to people who are truly hurting. If my comments seemed like that then I'm sorry.

Quote:
don't participate

Sounds like good advice.

MC

2008/9/25 14:07Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Dear brothers and sisters, saints of God,

About a year or so ago, this forum was well-nigh turning into a replication of a Yahoo! news frontpage. Everytime a plane crashed, the planning of the Beijing olympics, Iraq, Iran Hezbollah, Bush, Putin, Cheney, Mad Cow disease, honey bees on decline, you name it...everytime something bliped the rubrik on Fox news it seemed it was cut and pasted here within 30 minutes.

Now, I think we should keep up-to-date on current events; I think being abreast on what's happening in the world from a Christian standpoint is important and Biblical as to the influencing of our prayers, etc. - but I also believe that if we are not careful we may shift the pendulum inadvertantly too far over to where they become the focal point and begin to usurp the central, single place of Jesus Christ glorified and burden of Biblical revival - the main purpose for why this site exists. This is what SI is here for, to propagate outstanding classic sermons and messages pertaining to revival and holiness and the treading of the old paths. A true rarity, a turquoise oasis in the middle of the desert. It is good to post sparingly on current events (with politics excluded, of course), but when the current event threads begin to gather and grow in momentum...we risk falling prey to a stampede of world topics, and things quickly spiral out of control. Jesus Christ gets pushed to the back of the rush and everybody just gawks at the spectacle of hooves pounding the dust being kicked up. Brothers and sisters, I sense the forum going this way as of late, and it is no one person's fault. Let's remain sober and vigilant and remember our rightful place in this world and where our real Kingdom is located. When we raise our thoughts to the lofty heights of God, we scarcely have time to ruminate on the agendas and plans of man.

What I am saying is essentially to give to Caesar the attention alloted to him, and give to God the attention that is alloted to Him and let's not turn this forum into something it was never meant to be. If I want a double-shot of the secular news and world drama from a Christian perspective, I'll turn on the 700 Club and watch Pat Robertson :)

But if I want sober, Christ-centered fellowship with the saints and elect, I'll log onto SI, because this is one place I can go to where I recognise the furniture and I know my neighbors. I hope this post is read correctly dear brethren. All I am imploring is for a sense of balance in terms of attention allotment.

Love to you all, dear sisters and brothers,

Brother Paul

2008/9/25 18:14Profile

Re:

Quote:

PaulWest wrote:
Dear brothers and sisters, saints of God,

About a year or so ago, this forum was well-nigh turning into a replication of a Yahoo! news frontpage. Everytime a plane crashed, the planning of the Beijing olympics, Iraq, Iran Hezbollah, Bush, Putin, Cheney, Mad Cow disease, honey bees on decline, you name it...everytime something bliped the rubrik on Fox news it seemed it was cut and pasted here within 30 minutes.

Now, I think we should keep up-to-date on current events; I think being abreast on what's happening in the world from a Christian standpoint is important and Biblical as to the influencing of our prayers, etc. - but I also believe that if we are not careful we may shift the pendulum inadvertanly to where current events become the focal point and to where we see them begin to usurp the central, single place of Jesus Christ glorified and burden of Biblical revival - the main purpose for why this site exists. This is what SI is here for, to propagate outstanding classic sermons and messages pertaining to revival and holiness and the treading of the old paths. A true rarity, a turquoise oasis in the middle of the desert. It is good to post sparingly on current events (with politics excluded, of course), but when the current event threads begin to gather and grow in momentum...we risk falling prey to a stampede of world topics, and things quickly spiral out of control. Jesus Christ gets pushed to the back of the rush and everybody just gawks at the spectacle of hooves pounding the dust being kicked up. Brothers and sisters, I sense the forum going this way as of late, and it is no one person's fault. Let's remain sober and vigilant and remember our rightful place in this world and where our real Kingdom is located. When we raise our thoughts to the lofty heights of God, we scarcely have time to ruminate on the agendas and plans of man.

What I am saying is essentially to give to Caesar the attention alloted to him, and give to God the attention that is alloted to Him and let's not turn this forum into something it was never meant to be. If I want a double-shot of the secular news and world drama from a Christian perspective, I'll turn on the 700 Club and watch Pat Robertson :)

But if I want sober, Christ-centered fellowship with the saints and elect, I'll log onto SI, because this is one place I can go to where I recognise the furniture and I know my neighbors. I hope this post is read correctly dear brethren. All I am imploring is for a sense of balance in terms of attention allotment.

Love to you all, dear siters and brothers,

Brother Paul

I totally agree with you Paul, that is if I felt that this thread was what you are speaking of which I do not believe that it is but that's ok., your the moderator. I'm not going to make this into a big deal.

As the old saying goes it's all in the eyes of the beholder--that is, it is what you make it, no matter if you are discussing scripture or whatever else.

2008/9/25 18:42
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I felt that this thread was what you are speaking of which I do not believe that it is but that's ok.,

Hi sister,

It's not just this thread, and I certainly don't want you to think I am coming against you or questioning your integrity to judge a suitable post. The only reason I interjected was because of yours and Mike's dialogue; I am trying to "nip in the bud" the potential occasion of all this spiraling out of control (which we've seen).

Brother Paul

2008/9/25 18:53Profile

Re:

Quote:

PaulWest wrote:
Quote:
I felt that this thread was what you are speaking of which I do not believe that it is but that's ok.,

Hi sister,

It's not just this thread, and I certainly don't want you to think I am coming against you or questioning your integrity to judge a suitable post. The only reason I interjected was because of yours and Mike's dialogue; I am trying to "nip in the bud" the potential occasion of all this spiraling out of control (which we've seen).

Brother Paul

That's fine I understand. Maybe it would spiral out of control.

2008/9/25 19:14
Compton

Re:

Thanks Paul. Your oasis description is apt.

Perhaps this is the heart of the matter...

Quote:
Galatians 6:2

I really appreciate Rivqah bringing up that scripture for these times. (In fact she may have identified the best 'economic strategy' I've heard so far.) As a point of clarification worth restating, even as we should use caution in cutting and pasting media headlines, at the same time if people here are personally being affected by the events of our times and would like to share for comfort, (or even a little commiseration), then I think there is an abundance of kindness and wisdom, and Godliness here in the SI family.

Blessings all,

Mike

2008/9/25 21:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy