SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Doctrine of the Holy Spirit

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
thesaintdan

Southwest England, UK

Doctrine of the Holy Spirit

Isn't the subject/(the study) of the Holy Spirit often neglected - I mean we know all about the Father and the Son but what about all the ways in which the Holy Spirit is at work?

2008/9/22 15:59Profile
ravenmolehil

North Carolina, US

Re: Doctrine of the Holy Spirit

This little volume is a tremendous resource

TITLE: The Glorious Third Person
AUTHOR: James A. Stewart
BOOKLET: 50 pages
ISBN: 1-56632-032-1
It is available from revival literature

2008/9/22 16:10Profile
boG

Las Vegas, NV

Author: A.W. Tozer
Title: [b]The Counselor[/b]

About this title: Subtitled "Straight Talk about the Holy Spirit from a 20th-Century Prophet", The Counselor explains how to develop a relationship with the third Person of the Trinity. Tozer speaks to the current conflict and confusion about the Holy Spirit from a perspective that is balanced and biblical, yet devotional and practical.

2008/9/22 17:15Profile
schneider

Re:

third person?

2008/10/26 22:22Profile

Re:

Yea... third person... as in "God in three persons, Blessed Trinity..."

Welcome to SI!

Krispy

2008/10/27 8:40

Re:

Actually, I believe that God is "a Spirit" according to John 4:24. He is ONE Person...the Omnipresent Spirit. The Holy Spirit is just the power of God...the Spirit of Christ IN us and at work IN us. The Holy Spirit is a measure of God at work in us.

2 Cor. 3:17 "Now the Lord is that Spirit..."

Jesus said in John 14:18 "I will not leave you comfortless: I (I) will come to you". And this is what He did on the day of Pentacost.

I've pictured it as a tub full of water. You can put a bunch of jars in the tub...they will all fill up with water, but there is still just ONE water.

Like at the baptism of Jesus...the Father was speaking from heaven, He was coming down as a Dove to indwell His Son...at the same time.

Jesus also said that it was the "Father in Him" who did the works(John 14:10), and it wasn't until The Spirit of God came to indwell Him in fullness that He performed any miracles.

2008/10/27 16:15

Re:

I'm not sure where you're coming from with this, but it doesnt strike me as very orthodox. Jesus was with God (and [b]was[/b] God from the very beginning of time (John 1)... so to say that Jesus was just a man until the Holy Spirit entered Him is wrong and unscriptural.

Jesus told the religious leaders that before Moses was... "[b]I AM[/b]". Doesnt get much clearer than that.

I know you're new here, and I dont mean to speak so bluntly to you... but things like this will draw a pretty quick response from 99% of the people here.

Krispy

2008/10/27 16:36

Re:

I was just being honest about what I believe. I believe that Jesus was and IS the Son of God. Born of His very Word and Spirit. But I believe that GOD-Himself...as the origiator and source of all things is ONE omnipresent Spirit...ONE Person. Eloihiem...the Self-existing ONE.

I believe that Jesus is as much "God" as my children are humans...being born of me. And yes, Jesus was in God before time began...even as my children were in me in seed form (on a carnal level of course). Jesus was born of SPIRITUAL Seed.

Jesus was conceived by the incorruptible Seed of God's Word. The Father's spoken Word...birthed and manifested. He now has many more sons and daughters coming forth out of that First Born Son. John 12:24

What do you think of this Scripture? Hebrews 2:11

"For both He (Jesus) that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of ONE (the Father, God): for which cause He is not ashamed to call them brethren."

I just don't see God (the God-head) being comprised of three Eternal Persons. I see ONE God who "is a Spirit". Please explain where I'm missing it.

2008/10/27 17:34

I was thinking about this the other day.
Yes, I do think there is neglect. I'm sure there are several reasons for this. I will mention two that pop in my mind.

Several years ago Benny Hinn wrote a book, "Good morning Holy Spirit". The book, along with several preaching quotes By Benny caused alarm among many fundementals, including myself. Also other things in what was being called the counterfiet revival at that time left many not wanting to pursue listening to the Holy Spirit.This is unfortunate.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the HolyGhost Himself does not come to testify or give glory to Himself. He speaks only that which the Father and the Son speak.

Balancing these perspectives can be difficult for us. However I do beleive we need to be more sensitive to listen to what the Holy Ghost says to us. The Father and The Son Have chosen to speak to us through the scriptures AND through the Holy Ghost.

Starting with the Strongs concordance outline on the Holy Ghost/Spirit is a good way to get grounded in a more scriptural understanding of the comforters work in us. Also the previous books recommended are sure too be of help.
God bless

2008/10/27 19:09

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy