SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A banner for us

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

A banner for us

"O God, thou hast cast us off, thou hast scattered us, thou hast been displeased; O turn thyself to us again. Thou hast made the earth to tremble; thou hast broken it: heal the breaches thereof; for it shaketh. Thou hast showed thy people hard things: thou hast made us to drink the wine of astonishment. Thou hast given a banner to them that fear thee, that it may be displayed because of the truth. Selah."

- Psalm 60:1-4(KJV)

[i]Thou hast given a banner to them that fear thee, that it may be displayed because of the truth. Selah[/i]

This passage stood out to me in devotions today and in particular the last verse. And as I was thinking about it, I had the thought of the Lord Jesus, as being the banner for us. I thought also of John 12:32-33 and 18:37-38.

This afternoon, as Pastor Conlon lead the gathering in Time Square in prayer he pointed out how so many denominations, and races, and languages, and cultures had come together for one purpose:

Jesus Christ, be glorified.

2008/9/7 23:16Profile
Lor_E

Montana USA

Re: A banner for us

Quote:
"O God, thou hast cast us off, thou hast scattered us, thou hast been displeased; O turn thyself to us again. Thou hast made the earth to tremble; thou hast broken it: heal the breaches thereof; for it shaketh. Thou hast showed thy people hard things: thou hast made us to drink the wine of astonishment. Thou hast given a banner to them that fear thee, that it may be displayed because of the truth. Selah."

Amen!

[i]...that it may be displayed because of the truth...[/i]

[i]If any man serve Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve Me, him My Father honoureth.[/i] John 12:26

[i]If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as the ability which God giveth; that God in all things may be glorified in all things through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion forever and ever. Amen.[/i] 1 Peter 4:11

The whole earth is full of His glory,
He has given to us, feeble as we be,
to be a part of that glory on the earth-
by way of our inheritance together with the saints,
of the life of Jesus Christ living in us- and through us.

What a banner! What a glory! What a great gift!
To be a part of that which God has established,
on this earth,
to show all humanity,
His great love towards them.

These things are too wonderful for me... beyond my grasp.

[i]The love of God is greater far, than any tongue or pen can tell. It goes beyond the highest star, and reaches to the lowest hell.
The guilty pair, bowed down with care, God gave His Son to win; His erring child He reconciled, and pardoned from his sin.
The love of God, how rich and pure! How measureless and strong! It shall forevermore endure- The saints' and angels' song.[/i]

2008/9/8 11:44Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Hi Lor_E,

I was reminded in what you shared about something else that was offered in prayer during the gathering on Sunday. It was said how the purpose of the creature is to make known the creator, and how we have failed in this high calling.

But also, I was thinking of the Lord Jesus as a banner for us, in another way.

I was thinking, how(as I understand it) a banner or standard was something visible that was lifted up during battles to rally soldiers to a certain point, or perhaps to let them know where their army was? And how this may have been especially nescessary if they became confused or disoriented during the battle.

The KJV of the scriptures that I have suggests this as the title of this Psalm:

To the chief Musician upon Shushan-eduth, Michtam of David, to teach; when he strove with Aram-naharaim and with Aram-zobah, when Joab returned, and smote of Edom in the valley of salt twelve thousand.

The Psalm begins,

"O God, thou hast cast us off, thou hast scattered us..."

So many things seem to press against us to divide us. I think of this especially as in all that must perhaps, or does, accompany our efforts to go forward in faith, and to carry the Gospel; how we may even become turned against one another, or to be hurt by one another.

And so I was thinking more today of this Psalm, and of the Lord Jesus being our banner, as He being the One for us to look to in the fog and confusion of this war.

Maybe we are confused, or hurt, or just can't make sense of things. I'm thinking of Him here, as being our banner in the fog and confusion of this war.

That no matter how we all and others have failed to each other and to ourselves, no matter how we or others have misrepresented Him to each other and to ourselves, and to the world, He is still Who He is and He is still the same.

David asks at the end of this Psalm:

"Who will bring me [i]into[/i] the strong city? who will lead me into Edom?"

He says it is God.

Wish you all grace and love from God,

Chris

2008/9/9 20:21Profile
Lor_E

Montana USA

Re: The uplifted Banner

Quote:
That no matter how we all and others have failed to each other and to ourselves, no matter how we or others have misrepresented Him to each other and to ourselves, and to the world, He is still Who He is and He is still the same.

Amen. The Lord knew how to speak to my heart on this one! I'm very thankful.

Quote:
I was thinking, how(as I understand it) a banner or standard was something visible that was lifted up during battles to rally soldiers to a certain point, or perhaps to let them know where their army was? And how this may have been especially nescessary if they became confused or disoriented during the battle.

Amen.

I also see this banner as the standard that goes before, in front of the battle at the beginning. That for which everyone involved fights for. That pattern for which everyone who seeks the victorious end longs for, not only to be the soldier, but to be a partaker of what the standard, the banner... is.. and represents.

I am reminded of John 12:31-33, [i]And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto Me.[/i]

He spoke this signifying His manner of death on the cross, and in that I see a banner of obedience, of humility, of love, of sacrifice, and of overwhelming triumph!

(That same thing John saw in heaven when He viewed the only thing in heaven or earth worthy to open God's proclamation, a lamb as it had been slain.)

[i]..now shall the prince of this world be cast out...[/i]

[i]And having spoiled principalities and powers, He made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it[/i] Col 2:15

This display of Christ choosing to drink the cup which His Father had handed Him. This cup of horrid offense, of humiliation, of judgment and agony, His soul being made an offering for sin; while He drained this cup for every enemy of hell to see.

[i]Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise Him, He hath put Him to grief...[/i]

The victory was certainly completed in the glory of the resurrection; yet, it was at this moment of grief and agony that the Lord says:

[i]He shall see His seed...[/i]

[i]Therefore will I divide Him a portion with the great, and He shall divide the spoil with the strong: because He poured out His soul unto death...[/i]

In this pandemonium of battle, often bloody battle, I see this victorious banner of Christ who overcame death, hell and the grave; who also made a way for a feeble, weak, stumbling one to enter into His victory over this death, hell and the grave.

A way that is often difficult as this battle rages both within and without.

Yet, when I take up my cross, when I say to the Lord 'Thy will be done';

and I learn from the Author and Finisher how to surrender up every weakness, every failure (mine or someone elses), every wound inflicted, every intrepidation, every sorrow, every doubt, every self strength...

even if I must loose an eye- or walk with a limp He has my absolute good in mind, and I trust Him implicitly.

Now we who are on this earth, in the midst of this battle have the great responsibility of keeping the banner "lifted up".

[i]...When He ascended up on high, He led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.[/i]

Sometimes for another battle weary soldier to see, sometimes for the enemy to behold, sometimes simply to wave it victoriously, view it ourselves and be reminded:

Quote:
He is still Who He is and He is still the same.

Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!

Lori

2008/9/10 12:17Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Hi Lor_E,

"He spoke this signifying His manner of death on the cross, and in that I see a banner of obedience, of humility, of love, of sacrifice, and of overwhelming triumph!"

If I could add, even of a whole life that was entirely pleasing to God! Not in part but in whole.

If I could say then, that is even something for those who are supremely devout and full of peity and faith, of self-denial and sacrifice, why, something even for them, that they are in need of.

A righteousness not of their own.

And this is what, at least for me, in looking to and pointing others who may be confused or hurting to the Lord Jesus Christ, that this was what was on my mind in thinking of the Banner that the Lord would raise.

Grace and peace to you and all and God's love,

Chris

2008/9/10 18:07Profile
Lor_E

Montana USA

Re:

Dear brother,

Quote:
And this is what, at least for me, in looking to and pointing others who may be confused or hurting to the Lord Jesus Christ, that this was what was on my mind in thinking of the Banner that the Lord would raise.

Amen. I agree with that very much. I did not mean to confuse what you were trying to say, please forgive me if I did.

I suppose that in my own experience of sorrow, hurt and confusion; of stumbling and lack of correct representation. I find in the cross, the absolute way out of my own my own pain.

In coming to realize that my sorrows are not my own, but everything about me was purchased by [b]the perfect Man of Sorrows[/b]; there is in that a place of healing and direction, in Christ and His accomplished work alone.

I haven't met many pious people, I guess. Most of those I know are strugglers, such as myself, that know they don't have a chance unless they cling to the righteousness of Christ.

[i]nothing in my hand I bring, simply to Thy cross I cling[/i]

I'm so very thankful that in every hard situation Christ is that "banner" that I can look to that never changes. And time after time He has spoken to my hurting heart: [i]take my yoke upon you and learn of Me; for I am meek, and lowly of heart; and you shall find rest for your souls..[/i]

Again, I apologize for my inept ability to communicate properly.

God bless all,

and may those who are in the midst of the fog of battle find that place in the Christ who loved them and gave Himself for them; who intercedes on their behalf, that place of healing, grace, peace, and heavenly direction.

2008/9/10 20:18Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Dear Lori,

Please forgive me also for any misunderstanding or harm that I caused.

Thank you sister,

Chris

2008/9/11 18:37Profile
bonni

montana usa

Re: to ChrisJD and Lor-E

Thank you both for the encouraging scriptures and insight that you shared. God's wisdom is truly manifold.

Just another picture of each member having their part in the edification of the body.

In the combination of both of your comments, I received a fuller picture of something that the Lord has been speaking to my heart.

Thanks for the drink of water given in Jesus name,

blessings, bonni

2008/9/12 12:00Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy