SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : I Found An Old Hymnal

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

I Found An Old Hymnal

I was at an antique store and I found an old hymnal. The pages are so old they flake as soon as you try to turn the pages. I know Cyber Hymnal is looking for the words to some of these songs so I am going to send it to them one by one. I decided the best thing to do is to scan them but I'm not sure where to store them. Any advice? Here's the first one, some of the pages are gone unfortunately. If I'm not allowed to paste the images please let me know.

2008/9/1 23:06

Re: I Found An Old Hymnal

Does anyone have any advice? Do you think I should just copy the pages with a printer? The pages are just falling apart as you can see.

2008/9/1 23:16
Compton

Re:

Rivqah,

What a wonderful book.

I would agree that the best course for preserving a desirable book book that is beyond repair is to copy the pages. If you feel the book contents have sufficient importance, you might consider scanning all of the pages and saving them, rather then copying/printing them. An inexpensive color scanner can provide at least a 600 DPI RGB image. (Most provide much higher resolution.) This process will require that you gently separate all of the pages from their binding, using an X-Acto knife at times.

I would scan all of the pages, including the cover page, tables of contents, forewords and introductions, and indexes. Scan them in color to retain as much subtle information as possible.

With these scans, you will have preserved the book. Not only can websites like Cyberhymnal make use of the files, but someone with imaging software like photoshop can clean up the pages and rebuild the book for digital printing if so desired.

A few of the more select pages from the disassembled book might make nifty gifts if they were mounted in a small frame behind glass for display in a home or office. :-)

Blessings,

MC

2008/9/2 2:27Profile
Limey153

Berkshire, England

Re: I Found An Old Hymnal

What an excellent find! In regards to preserving the original I would recommend getting some 'acid free preservation paper', maybe you could get a sealable tray and line it with the preservation paper. I'm not quite sure where you would get the paper from, however, professional picture framers often use preservation paper to use inside picture frames when dealing with delicate artwork. So maybe ask a local picture framer. I would not expect it to be very expensive.

2008/9/2 4:01Profile

Re:

Thanks for the great advice. :-) I think I've found a new hobby. I'm going to another antique store today to see what else I can find.

2008/9/2 6:50

Re:

There is a hymn called "If Men Go To Hell Who Cares?". I don't see it on cyber hymnal. Has anyone heard of it? I did a google search too.

2008/9/2 7:24

Re:

I have never heard of this song before and I can't find it on Cyber Hymnal. Feel free to share these! :-)

2008/9/2 8:24

Re:

O.k I made that last image a little smaller. As long as it's ok with the moderators I will just post the ones that I do not see on Cyber Hymnal. I am taking the pages out one by one and I am going to get it all copied.

2008/9/2 11:31

Re:

removed

2008/9/2 11:39

Re:

I don't see this one on Cyber Hymnal: "Were Marching To Zion" ~ Isaac Watts:

2008/9/2 12:28

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy