SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : GOVERT, GILLIS, MARIKEN, AND ANNEKEN, A. D. 1550

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

GOVERT, GILLIS, MARIKEN, AND ANNEKEN, A. D. 1550

GOVERT, GILLIS, MARIKEN, AND ANNEKEN, A. D. 1550

On the last of January, 1550, there were offered up for the faith, at Lier, in Brabant, four pious Christians, named Govert, Gillis, Mariken and Anneken, who, as sheep for the slaughter, had been apprehended without violence. When they were brought before the council, and questioned concerning their faith, they made a frank and unfeigned confession of it. The bailiff then said, "You stand here to defend yourselves?"

Govert replied, "As regards my faith, I have freely confessed it, and shall turn to no other; though it cost my life, I will adhere to it."

Forthwith the imperial edict was read to them, and the bailiff asked them whether they understood its contents.

Govert said, "God has commanded , us through Christ, as is recorded in the sixteenth chapter of Mark, that all who believe and are baptized shall besaved, and that those who do not believe shall be damned; but the emperor, in his blind judgment, has commanded that whoever is baptized upon his faith, shall be put to death without mercy. These two commands militate against each other; one of the two we must forsake; but everyone ought to know that we must keep the command of God; for though Satan teaches that we are heretics, yet we do not act contrary to the Word of God."

When they were led to the tribunal, Govert said to the priests, "Take off your long robes, put on sack cloth, put ashes on your heads, and repent, like those of Nineveh."

In the court the bailiff asked him whether he desired no favor.

He replied, "I will not ask for your favor; for what I cannot do without, the most high God will give me."

The bailiff said also to Anneken, "Do you not desire a favor, before sentence is passed upon you?))

She answered, "I shall ask favor of God, my refuge."

Mariken, an old woman of seventy-five years, was asked whether she would confess her sins to the priest.

She replied, "I am sorry that I ever confessed my sins to the mortal ears of the priests."

Seeing some brethren, Govert turned his face and joyfully comforted them, saying among other things, "I pray God, that you may be thus imprisoned for His glory, as I now am."

The bailiff very fiercely said, "Be still, for your preaching is of no account here.", "My lord bailiff," said he,"I speak only five or six words, which God has given me to speak, does this give you so much pain?" And when the people murmured on this account, he said, "This has been witnessed from the time of righteous Abel, that the righteous have suffered reproach; hence be not astonished." The two servants that stood by him said, "You must not speak; the bailiff will not have it; hence be still."

Immediately God closed his mouth, which grieved many. Gillis was not questioned, and he said nothing at all; but they were led back to prison, where they rejoiced together, and sang: Saligh is den man, en goet geheeten; and also the forty-first psalm. The bailiff then came into prison, and asked Govert, whether he had considered the matter; to which be replied, "Unless you repent, the punishment of God shall come upon you." The bailiff looked out of the window, and said, "Will God damn all this multitude of people?"

Govert replied, "I have spoken the Word of God to you; but I hope there are still people here who fear God?"

The bailiff then turned to Anneken, and asked her what she had to say to it.

She replied, "Lord bailiff, twice I have been greatly honored in this city, namely, when I was married, and when my husband became emperor;

but I never had a joy that did not perish, as I now have."

On his way to death, Govert delivered an excellent admonition, reproving the wicked railing, and said, "Be it known to you, that we do not die for theft, murder or heresy, but because we seek an inheritance with God, and live according to His Word."

The executioner commanded him silence, but he said, "Leave God be with me for a little while; repent, for your life is short."

A brother then said, "God will strengthen you.", "Oh, yes," said he,"the power of, His Spirit is not weakening in me."

The monk attempted to speak to Mariken, but Govert said, "Get you hence, deceiver, to your own people; for we have no need of you."

Entering the ring, Govert said to the gild-brothers, "How you stand here with sticks and staves? Thus stood the Jews when they brought Christ to death; if we had been afraid of this, we would have fled in time."

They then knelt down together, and prayed; whereupon they kissed each other. Anneken immediately commenced to sing, "In thee, O Lord; do I put my trust." Ps. 71:1. The servants told her to be still; but Govert said, "No, sister, sing on," and helped her sing. Enraged at this, the bailiff called to him a servant, and whispered something in his ear. The latter went to the assistant of the executioner, who, upon receiving the order, immediately put a gag on Govert; but the latter held his teeth so firmly closed, that the gag did not hinder him much, and he laughingly said, "I could easily sing with the gag on; but Paul says: 'Sing in your heart to God."' Eph. 5:19.

The executioner, in order to put her to shame, made Anneken stand in her bare chemise. A servant asked Gillis whether he did not see some of his people. Gillis said, "Do you know of nothing else to torment us with?""What does he say?" asked Govert."He inquires for our fellow brethren," replied Gillis. Govert said, "Though I could count twenty, I would not mention a single one. You think that by killing us you can suppress the Word of God; but of those that hear and see this, hundreds shall yet come forth." Standing at the stake, he said, "Amend your ways and repent; for after this there will be no more time for repentance." A servant who had a bottle of wine, asked them whether they wished to drink. Govert said, "We have no desire for your insipid wine; for our. Father shall give us new wine in His eternal kingdom." Matt. 26:29. When it was thought that the old woman had been strangled at the stake, she began to sing a hymn in honor of her Bridegroom, which when Anneken heard it, she, from ardent love, sang with her. When they all stood at their stakes, each with a strap around the neck, they smiled at and nodded to one another, thus affectionately saluting and comforting each other,. andcommending their souls into the hands of God, they fell asleep in the Lord, and were burned.

2008/8/19 12:34Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy