SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Giving to United Way

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

I dont give to the United Way since they ceased giving to the Boy Scouts because of their stance against sodomites being allowed to be leaders, etc. Also, the United Way gives to the YWCA, and the YWCA is extremely supportive of Planned Parenthood, at least locally.

With so many Christian charities out there, why give to the United Way?

Krispy

2008/8/12 7:14
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Krispy

My husbands work is a contributor to United Way programs and he is being "Strongly" encouraged to take part and give. They are even suggesting an amount that should be given. Just thought I would find out what I could about this charity so we know how to proceed.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Some good things to pray on for sure.

God Bless
MJ

2008/8/12 11:46Profile

Re:

Well, he doesnt owe his employer an explanation. And they can not discriminate against your husband in any way if he doesnt give to the United Way. A company I worked for a few years ago asked everyone to give to the United Way, and I remember there was a lot of pressure to do so.

And these same people will complain about the church passing the plate?? No one pleads and pressures like the United Way.

All he has to do is check "no... I do not wish to participate".

If he feels like giving them an explanation all he has to say is that he already gives a portion of his income away to his church and other charitable causes.

But me personally, I wouldnt even volunteer that much information. It's none of his employer's business whether he gives or not, or to whom or how much.

Krispy

2008/8/12 13:34
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

I agree with the others:
Be "prayerfully selective" when you give!

Besides, there are quite a few charities that are far more noble causes! Gospel for Asia is a wonderful organization! In addition, there are organizations that take care of both physical AND spiritual needs (such as MercyShips, the Christian Children's Fund and Youth With A Mission).

In addition, this website is an extremely worthwhile investment! While I don't think that Greg has "registered" this website as a tax deductable non-profit in the United States yet, it still merits support from the brethren. There used to be a link for giving, but I haven't seen it for a while. Perhaps Greg can "fill us in" about how to give?

My wife and I are currently in the process of moving to California. For a long time, we have had it on our hearts to give to this ministry on a consistant monthly basis. With the Lord's help, we will be able to do so in the near future!

We should certainly research any organization that we feel obliged to support. The key is being "prayfully" selective! What "good" will they do for the Kingdom of God?

:-)

2008/8/12 14:05Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Another thought to consider is Jesus' words as quoted in Mark 9:41: "For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward." Or, Matthew 10:42: And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward." If you are not allowed to give in Jesus' name what value is it? Something to think about, IMHO.

ginnyrose

2008/8/12 18:16Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re: Giving to United Way

Quote:

MaryJane wrote:
I have a question about United way? should christian support this charity? I know that some local chapter of united way support planned parent hood.

God Bless
MJ

No. You should not give to United Way, unless you don't mind the indirect support of the murder of babies.

Totally different then having a clean conscious at the market place.

2008/8/13 0:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy