SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : reflecting on the disgusting habits of modern day "Godly men"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Alf

Miami, FL

reflecting on the disgusting habits of modern day "Godly men"

the other day i realized the fact that i only listen and read books of dead men. L.R, Tozer, Finney, E.M., Murray, Katz, etc...

Most of the men today who are well recognized as Christianity's "elite" are men of wealth and power but i just cant help but think of these two verses from Leonard Ravenhill's mix called "Agony" (if u havent listened to it yet make sure to do so), anyway here are the verses;

"5Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, [u][b]supposing that gain is godliness[/b][/u] : from such withdraw thyself."

-1 Timothy 6:5

&

"3And through covetousness shall they with feigned words [u][b]make merchandise of you[/b][/u]: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not."

- 2 peter 2:3

I can spend pages rambling on with examples of the prostitution of our faith these days but in my short life i have come to a simple yet so hard to get to realization "actions speak louder than words".

brothers and sisters alike pray to the Lord to burn you from the inside out, forget about family, friends, relationships, etc etc etc if they are stopping you from "going about your father's business" then turn your back and return when the fire which dwells within every warrior of the Lord almighty spews out from your eyes, mouth, and soul so that you may set this world a blaze. forget revival conferences, start one in your closet. anyway i guess that is all, and by the way this was inspired by a church service i attended today in which they wanted to collect money from the congregation to buy the pastor a brand new Mercedes Benz (worth around $100k) only Jesus kept me in my seat and prevented me from throwing my Bible at these "Godly men". God bless you all (:, havent written in a while, I hope all is well on these spicy forums.

2008/8/11 0:23Profile
theopenlife

Re: reflecting on the disgusting habits of modern day "Godly men"

This is one of the reasons I appreciate John Piper and Paul Washer. I understand that Washer lived in relative poverty in Peru, and Piper lives in a very repressed area of urban Minneapolis, and encourages his congregation to cap their usable income at a modest amount and use the rest to benefit others and missions.

2008/8/11 2:12Profile
HopeinChrist

Re:

Quote:
forget revival conferences, start one in your closet

2008/8/11 6:28Profile

Brother Alf

You wanted to throw your Bible at these fleshlings?

I'm glad you didnt, why waste a perfectly good Bible on such? They'd just pick it up, put in a pew holder for it to gather dust. Pearls to swine.

Write letters to everyone involved, the pastor, his elders and deacons, if it's a denominational church, write the denom's HQ's, but my humble advice is this, if you scorch them, you lose them.

Ask them how many missionaries could be supported by ten 10,000 dollar yearly committments of support?

How many of the "5,000" could be fed by laying down the 100K as the foundation of benevolence food outreach to the poor?

etc etc etc.

But if you slam into them with a fire and brimstone letter letting them know what greedy hell bound apostates they are, (which they are) they'll just toss the letter into the bin.

After you have tried to reason with them, implore them to see their sin, and you notice this "pastor" tooling around in a Benz, make a call to both state revenue agency and the IRS, recieveing gifts like this is a gray area, and could cause these hellions some grief, if not actual sanction.

The things that go onto today, it's enough to make one get out the ashes and sackcloth. But ask yourself, this has been going on since Constantine got seduced by the devil, and decided to create the "holy roman church", a perfect place to stash booty, and gold, and fancy buildings, and thousands of apostate priests and nuns all on the payroll of the helpless and harassed sheep of that institution. The Hebrews couldnt even wait for Moses to have his time with God, they were crafting a golden calf, etc.

You missed one giant of the faith: David Brainerd, you'll be edified by reading this from John Piper:

[url=http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Biographies/1461_Oh_That_I_May_Never_Loiter_On_My_Heavenly_Journey/]David Brainerd[/url]

Go easy on them, think of them as disobedient children who you speak to patiently, rather than wolves who you have to.........

God bless you and shower you with Grace and Wisdom, natan

2008/8/11 7:28
Alf

Miami, FL

Re: Brother Alf

Natan4Jesus thank you for the wise words and well these words are what run through my head when i see such things, it makes me sad to see money being thrown out the window on riches which will eventually be outdated and break, but that is why i have made a point to live by example and be a man of less words. Fiery letters is what they want to receive so that they can feel persecuted and in the right. with patience i will await and pray that the Lord brings forth a change (and may I be in the middle of the battle :D ). Thank you all for the comments brothers and well there are very good modern day preachers its just they are sometimes overshadowed by these guys but in a way that is good, the media can be a horrible thing.

-Alf

2008/8/11 10:20Profile
boG

Las Vegas, NV

Re: a Benz?

Quote:
i attended today in which they wanted to collect money from the congregation to buy the pastor a brand new Mercedes Benz (worth around $100k)

I have never heard of such openly displayed covetousness from the pulpit. And the congregation actually encourages this sin?

What ever happened to giving money to support the laborers of the Gospel and to strengthen the hands of the needy and comfort the afflicted?

Check out this 6 minute recording of J. Vernon McGee talking about Luke 16 (dealing with unrighteous mammon).

http://www.blueletterbible.org/audio_video/mcgee_j_vernon/Luk/42080_Luke_16_7-10.ram

He makes some very good points.

I would also add this thought:

Luke 16
11. If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?
12. And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man's, who shall give you that which is your own?

Or to rearrange these verses ...

If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon ... And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man's

who will commit to your trust the true riches ... who shall give you that which is your own?

The kingdoms of this world, and the wealth thereof, are ruled over by the prince of this world, the devil; for they are his and his to give to whomever shall bow down and worship him. Thus, we read of "unrighteous mammon" which is comparable to being "another man's". Even if the other "man" be the devil or God. Being the devil's is straight forward, however to explain being God's (so there is no confusion) it is easy to understand that if "we" belong to God then all "we have" is His. Not to mention that everything in the world actually belongs to God, thus shall every man be held accountable for his deeds.

This is emphasized further in the understanding of entrusting the "true riches" to be "your own". Which can only be the fulfillment of the Spirit of Christ being poured out upon all flesh, as on the day of Pentecost. Not to be confused with an understanding that the Spirit of God should now become my own possession as though He were mine to do with as I pleased. Rather as Jesus prayed, that we shall be one with Christ, even as He is One with the Father. This is the peace (reconciliation and unity) of God by the Blood of Jesus through faith in Him.

To say in another way, being heirs of the promise and thus heirs with Christ, etc.. And to make another marked emphasis I would direct to Isaiah 58 concerning what it means to "delight yourself in the Lord" as we hear so often quoted from Psalms, "that the Lord shall give you the desires of your heart".

Isaiah 58
13. "If because of the sabbath, you turn your foot
From doing your own pleasure on My holy day,
And call the sabbath a delight, the holy day of the LORD honorable,
And honor it, desisting from your own ways,
From seeking your own pleasure
And speaking your own word,
14. [b]Then you will take delight in the LORD[/b],
And I will make you ride on the heights of the earth;
And I will feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father,
For the mouth of the LORD has spoken."

To say the least, when we pray for money, or wealth or such things of unrighteous mammon, in such a way that we are praying and desiring to benefit our ownselves outside of and beyond the need which God says He shall see to Himself on our behalf (for the purpose of carrying out the work of the Gospel of Christ while we spend ourselves in seeking first His kingdom and His righteousness) then we are praying for something that belongs to another. This is called covetousness, aka, being disobedient to the Tenth Commandment.

Such men shall never receive the true riches of glory that are in Christ Jesus alone. Thus, they have no inheritance as sons of faith and neither shall they be "fed with the heritage of Jacob your father, For the mouth of the LORD has spoken."

2008/8/11 17:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy