SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : "Death Metal"... help!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
IsaiahSix3

"Death Metal"... help!

I have a nephew that I'm responsible for because his mother left when he was a baby and his dad is an alcholic. It's a sad story.

He got an ipod for Christmas and has used our computer to download songs onto it. We noticed last night he got songs by Metallica and Korn. I don't know much about this music but I know it's satanic.

I'm about to delete the songs but I want to be able to give him some really good information about WHY it's bad - besides just saying, "Because I said so" and making him resent me. I want him to know it is truly demonic and that bad things come from it.

The reason I'm here asking for help is because I have spent a LONG TIME scouring the internet for this sort of information and have come up empty.

Does anyone know of a specific person or ministry that details the bad aspects of this music as a warning to parents?

Someone told me of a man named Billy Mayo whose ministry was going around to churches teaching of the dangers of the music, but he is older and has nothing currently online that I can find. I'm looking for that sort of info which can be printed up and given to my nephew to read.

He totally thinks I'm overreacting and I want him to understand that I'm NOT. That it is serious and that the spirtiual war is real and that there is a battle for his soul going on.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2008/8/1 15:20Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: "Death Metal"... help!

There's a well-known documentary called "Hell's Bells", an 18-part series on the Satanic influence of rock-and-roll. It's very informative, and I think you can find it on YouTube if you do a search.

I think Greg Gordon posted a thread not too long ago called by the same name. I see if I can dig it up for you.

Brother Paul

2008/8/1 15:26Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

This may help.

Hell's Bells 2: The Power and Spirit of Popular Music

"... perhaps the greatest documentary on any subject ever! Lives will change." Ray Comfort - Internationally renowned author and evangelist

"...Movie Guide's highest rating!" Dr. Ted Baehr, Christian Film and Television Commission

Over three years in the making, this much-anticipated sequel to the original Hell's Bells series weaves together science, satire, testimonies, parables, interviews, expansive research, and a vibrant Christian perspective to create a video series that is as fascinating as it is educational and evangelistic. Far more than just a commentary on the dangers of popular music, this eight-part, six-hour, up-to-the-minute documentary uncovers the "war of the worldviews" - the epic struggle between good and evil, sin and redemption for the souls of men and the destiny of our culture.

Great not only for evangelizing the lost and challenging Christians to greater holiness and service, it also serves as an outstanding primer on worldviews. Among other things, it features a fascinating history of the occult revivals that took place in the late 19th century (and that would later have such a profound impact in the 60s), an analysis of "chaos versus creation", nihilism, what it means to be truly "satanic" and much, much more. Using music as a diagnostic tool, Hell's Bells 2 - The Power and Spirit of Popular Music examines the modern world, dusting it for the fingerprints of the men and ideas that have sought to dethrone God and set man up in His place. Ideal for Bible study, family discussion, discipling young people (and older folks, too!), Sunday school class and cell groups, this is one video series that is guaranteed to provoke discussion, reflection, and, by God's grace, changed lives.

It can be found [url=http://www.theapologeticsgroup.com/cms/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,42/category_id,21/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/]here[/url]

**EDIT**
Did not see brother Paul's reply when I posted.

2008/8/1 15:28Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

There is a ministry that has some good material on it. It is called "Fight the good fight"

[url=http://www.goodfight.org/]Goodfight Ministries[/url]

There is a DVD called "They sold their souls for Rock and Roll". I have watched this DVD and it is very informative.

Hope it helps.

2008/8/1 15:30Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=21899&forum=35&start=10&viewmode=flat&order=1]Here[/url] is the Hell's Bells link from the SermonIndex thread brother Greg made. The discussion on the thread is good too.

Hey, TJ, we're tracking. :)

p.s. Kire also posted some links in the thread to another series called "They Sold Their Souls For Rock N' Roll"

Paul

2008/8/1 15:31Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Yes...

I believe we both had a "rock-n-roll" background...to say the least.

This is a real issue that many need to be made more aware of. I thank God for putting His finger on this issue in my life early in my walk with Him.

2008/8/1 15:37Profile
FireinmyBones1

Michigan

I would highly recommend that you check out good fight ministries - goodfight.org

Their website is very informative with exposes on a myriad of secular artists. It is also full of great articles on the subject.

I would also HIGHLY recommend viewing their 2 + hour documentary entitled "They Sold Their Souls For Rock & Roll." You can view the entire documentary for free on youtube. Just do a search for that title in youtube and you can watch it, albeit separated into like 30 different parts.

There is also a ministry called No More ministries which is pretty informative as well. nomoreministries.com Although I don't always agree with the former's methods - he has some REALLY good info on his site.

I just preached a two or three month series to my youth on this very subject and these two ministries were great helps.

God bless!

-Jeff

2008/8/1 16:28Profile

Re:

While the suggested documentaries are good (altho the original Hells Bells seems very outdated)... none of these things will have the desired effect if your nephew isnt saved.

If he isnt saved then he will not understand what the big deal is. You must first pray pray pray... and then present the gospel to him and pray that the Holy Spirit will open his eyes and convince him of the truth.

Then, and only then, will you be able to present this issue of music to him. You can tell an alcoholic that beer can be hazardous to him, but he wont care. He already knows it, and doesnt care. It's the same way with music.

Also, educate yourself. Korn & Metallica are not "Death Metal". Korn is more Grindcore, and Metallica is pure Metal. I know that seems silly, but you will lose credibility with kids if you sound like you have no idea what your talking about. I remember one of my aunts, who was a Christian, telling me when I was a kid that Lynyrd Skynyrd was "Acid Metal"... and that the band AC/DC chose their name because they were bi-sexual. She was absolutely wrong on both counts, and because of that... I totally blew her off, and her religion.

If you have a teen in your house, unfortunately for you you [b]have[/b] to keep up with whats going on in the pop culture. Especially if your kid is in the public school. You need to know whats going on. Who is who... what is what... etc.

Also... it's your house and your computer. You have every right to tell him that he can no longer download that stuff on your computer. Granted, he'll get it somewhere else, but you dont have to be the vehicle in which he gets it.

Lastly, (this is where I'll get criticized) even tho I have some real issues with the Contemporary Christian Music [b]industry[/b]... there are some really good bands and artists out there. Again, you need to educate yourself and find artists and bands that are in it for the ministry, and not the $$. Once you've found a few, turn your nephew onto them.

Now, there are some here who will disagree with me and say that certain styles of music are demonic... and thats ok. We can agree to disagree on that. My personal opinion is that if the music doesnt enhance your life in Christ, dont listen to it... and dont judge someone who cant figure out how you get blessed by certain music.

Hope this helps... actually, I hope this makes sense! lol

Krispy

2008/8/5 9:23
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Amen Krispy!

2008/8/5 9:44Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Credulity

Quote:
I know that seems silly, but you will lose credibility with kids if you sound like you have no idea what your talking about. I remember one of my aunts, who was a Christian, telling me when I was a kid that Lynyrd Skynyrd was "Acid Metal"... and that the band AC/DC chose their name because they were bi-sexual. She was absolutely wrong on both counts, and because of that... I totally blew her off, and her religion.

Yes. Must chime in here as well. This matter of credibility is so far reaching I am currently wrestling with some articulation to apply it across the whole of recent happenings with events in Florida and those associated, promoting or of the same particular mindsets ...

If we cannot start there, with credibility, then all that follows is spurious at best as it now has speculation as it's basis and builds itself on false premises.

I am not sorry at all to say that I would have a greater appreciation for many of the so called 'secular' bands and musicians that I grew up with and loved and tried to learn their songs as a drummer and later as a guitar player then most of what passes for it's opposite these days. It lacks both credibility and honesty too often, is soulish and not spiritual, sentimental, tawdry, cheap and lacking any originality.

What is forgotten is that 'demonic' is not something that is plastered as a label upon things that Christians have some aversion to, some dislike, that is an easy target. Believe it or not the very things thought to be nice, Christan product can be that which is underpinned with demonic elements - Is not the idea to be swayed and misled, an angel of light -Peter being rebuked as the habitation of the devils thoughts ...

"Worldly" is a better grasp, the whole world [i]lieth in wickedness[/i]. It is the set of the mind - Hardly would it be a supportive notion that I am fowarding, it is an appeal to getting our facts straight and having some real credibility - knowing what we are talking about.

Educate yourself. Amen.

2008/8/5 9:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy