Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Bible Study advice

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
enid

Nottingham, England

Bible Study advice

If you were to start a home bible study, for people who are not saved, and know nothing of the bible, which bible study would you recommend?

Thanks.

2008/7/29 9:20Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re: Bible Study advice

Hmmm, I might start with reading the book of Mark with them. Some people suggest John, but I find the metaphysical elements at the start of John can throw some people for a curve, so if you do prefer John over Mark, you should start farther into chapter one.

I don't really believe in 'canned' bible studies. You limit the Holy Spirit by using a pre-made curriculum. People are spiritually hungry, and the Word of God is what they need!

2008/7/29 9:54Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

enid wrote:

Quote:

If you were to start a home bible study, for people who are not saved, and know nothing of the bible, which bible study would you recommend?

Thanks.

Enid,

My suggestion would be to teach them anything and everything about God's love. Do this through the Word and you actions. Pour your life into these folks. Be a living example of God's Word.

Anyone can teach a teaching, but not everyone can truly love the people that they are teaching.

As for a bible study, I have never used one in my teaching except for the Bible itself.

2008/7/29 11:11Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Starting in August, I will be teaching Nee's "The Normal Christian Life" for adult Sunday school in my church. It's a tremendous book that lays down the foundational principles of the Christian walk in a simple yet revelatory manner.

However, you mentioned in your original post that the people with whom you are wanting to start a Bible study are "not saved". If I were to do a Bible study with unsaved people (I must say that these two concepts don't compute with me), before opening [i]any book including the Bible[/i], I would make sure they knew their situation, and that no amount of study or memorizing verses or reading chapters is going to profit them.

Once they knew this, I would start with John, from the very beginning; I always start with John, because I believe God wrote that book specifically for unbelievers, atheists, hard-hearted and conscience-seared people. There is a special fragrance of the Holy Spirit in the very first chapters, awesome truths totally laid bare, revealing the Deity of Jesus Christ, God becoming incarnate and walking among men, the darkness of men and their subsequent rejection of God, and God's overriding grace of granting power of sonship to all those who put their belief in Christ.

It may seem metaphysical to men devoid of the Holy Spirit, but to those who are called by God and can accept this, God is able to birth them anew through these "metaphysical" chapters...and it has happened time and time again. Keith Daniel is but one example of a man who met God and was born-again on his knees while reading the first chapter of John's gospel.

2008/7/29 12:23Profile

Re: Bible Study advice. I recommend....

Christian Bible study:
"What would I recommend?"

One lead by two or three brothers that do know something of the Bible, and more importantly the Lord Jesus.

I would recommend a Bible study directed at seekers of truth, not dissenters and opponents of the gospel.

I would recommend a Bible study that was based upon the Elemental foundations of Christian Faith, with no compromise to sin, or humanism. We must turn away from our deeds and sins that breed death, to ourselves and others we influence. We must turn back to God, or we will die.

I would recommend a Bible study that lifted up the Goodness of God, and his love...and his willingness to restore the sinner and sinsick back unto Himself, through the Blood and sacrifice of Jesus...and the only Resurrection of God himself, back to Heaven, in His bodily ascension.

I would recommend a Bible study that declared the Whole counsel of God, and especially that Jesus is the One and only Path to the Father Creator. Every other way, is a lie, and will destroy you.

I would recommend a Bible study that declared that the Christian walk is a hard one, and demands that we die to ourselves, and live our lives forever as such, as we learn to love God, and his family....our neighbor as ourselves. I would make sure that Baptism in water was acted upon, on those who believed this.

I would make sure to emphasize that it was not a social event, a club, or a fellowship time alone, but a gathering to honor the Lord alone, and to bend unto his loving presence.

Otherwise, my counsel to you is not to do it. It may do more harm than good, both to you, and those you want to be saved.

Your heart seems good, but you may be biting off more than you can chew. Ask God to send help. You need it, it sounds like, and He loves you a bunch. May the lord bless your endeavors to serve Him.

Tom.

2008/7/29 14:40
JoanM

If you and those that come have the same intent in studying the Bible, and it is the same as John’s intent in writing (John 20: 30-31), John seems good. This morning John 21: 24-25 seems a good place to start for unbelievers.

Just a thought.

Of course I could be biased in that God revealed Christ to me, [u]Himself as Christ[/u], as I struggled to translate the word logos, (in John 1:1), into English, in such a way as to give “the thing itself” (consistent with a Greek view of words and all they can communicate). Much happened. With out knowing what it all meant I even said, “I believe this name, this logos, this Word." It was Joy upon Joy, much later, when He explained John 1:12-13.

Of course we know that whatever book of the Bible He leads you to begin with, He is able to add in just what is needful for each individual. He desires to. It pleases Him. Watch for and follow that.

Just to be clear, I do not recommend any “Bible study”, for unbelievers, only the study of the Bible, book by book. It helps to start off right. Great damage can be done by swallowing food someone else has chewed.

2008/7/29 14:56Profile
andres

texas,brownsville

Re:

there is a tool that some missionaries use when they reach and teach the lost its called :
firm foundations: from New tribe Missions., it goes thru the bible in order, and so we see the unfolding of redemption by God thru Christ, about 50 lessons
http://www.ntmbooks.com/index.jsp?categoryid=3
love andy

2008/7/29 14:58Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

John is a wonderful book to use for the unsaved. I would use John along with 1 Thessalonians. Even the first verse in both John and Thess, has so much in it you could teach on it for years and not exhaust the truth of God. The 2nd and 3rd chapters of Thess, give us a pure outline of showing the unbeliever the love of God in our presenting the Gospel with no gain for self entering in.

I know this is a monster when separating the old from the new. But, God appointed Paul for a specific reason. That the Body of Christ the Church might learn what the Gospel for the Church is through Paul which is the final Gospel to fulfill the Word of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

John has much of the transition from the old to the new and is full of Love and the Holy Spirit, especially in 14,15,16,17 which gives the believer understanding of what the difference of the Spirit of Christ and the Holy Spirit and their work in the believers spirit, soul-mind and body that they might come to the full knowledge of how God works in the believer.

The Spirit of Christ who gives us life, the Holy Spirit who gives understanding, and the quickening of the body to contain the fulness of God the Father, who also comes to make His abode with us.

Then I would go to Galatians, Colossians, and the central Pinnacle of Grace and Faith and Truth, Ephesians.

The purpose of Christ and His whole reason for the Cross is in this 1/5 of the scriptures for the Body of Christ, which is for the Church the Body of Christ. 1/5, which explains the whole of the 4/5 of the rest of the Word of God, which is the Christ of the Cross and Christ in you the Hope of Glory.

This does not negate the whole bible being the whole Word of God, it just gives the new believer the fulness of salvation in Christ Jesus and their responsibility in His Church.

In Christ: Phillip

2008/7/29 15:21Profile
learn

start quote
by enid on 2008/7/29 9:20:01

end quote

This is a clip from Paul Washer sharing how to witness to non-believers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt9V4Q5n9gs

2008/7/29 18:50Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
Be a living example of God's Word.

Amen.

I think it could be beneficial to start with some basic Genesis/creation stuff to set the foundation of how truly awesome our God and creator is. Many, or most, unsaved folks have not really looked at creation in the proper light of there actually being a creator. Sounds strange, but we must remember that sinners do not look at the world as we do. Starting a study in this way will get them to thinking and looking at things differently. After this foundational intro I would go through the Gospel of John, as many have suggested.

2008/7/29 21:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy