SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is counseling Biblical?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sonofadam777

Rochester, New York

Is counseling Biblical?

Is marriage counseling and/or any form of counseling Biblical?

2008/7/29 9:06Profile

Re: Is counseling Biblical?

As long as the counsel is based on scripture, and what God has to say about whatever the situation is. If that is happening then it really isnt any different from teaching or discipling.

When it breaks off into pop-psychology and things like that... then it ceases to be Biblical, and should be avoided by Christians.

"What if the family turned to Jesus... and stopped asking Oprah what to do!" - Casting Crowns

Krispt

2008/7/29 9:46
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Jesus calls the Holy Spirit our Counselor and Advocate... therefore as a logical extension, a born again Christian filled with the Holy Spirit can be a counselor to other Christian brothers and sisters.

There is a danger when secular and humanistic teachings are mixed in, as well as dangerous psychological teachings. We need to be discerning. There are certainly those who are anointed by the Holy Spirit to help others who are in need of counseling, however there are also wolves in sheep's clothing.

But there is an even more important issue to consider. Most issues that require counseling, like marital problems, usually stem from sin on behalf of one or more of the parties involved. Therefore, what they may not need is a counselor, who will most likely try to create peace between two warring factions without really digging down to the source of the problem, which is sin; what they need is a fire and brimstone preacher who will fill them with the fear of the LORD and get them on their knees seeking repentance. Unfortunately, this isn't too popular among even devout Christians.

2008/7/29 9:49Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

The wisest counsel is to seek what God has to
say concerning the issue and follow His wisdom.
In a marriage the husband must be fully yielded
to the leading of the Spirit and the wife for
her part surrendered to helping and supporting
her husband as he follows the Lord!!

2008/7/29 10:21Profile

Re:

Quote:
Most issues that require counseling, like marital problems, usually stem from sin on behalf of one or more of the parties involved.

This is absolutely true. And the 2 sins most likely to be front and center are selfishness and pride.

Krispy

2008/7/29 10:31

I think the best book that addresses this subject,and can be read in 24 hours,is by far the following, which can be read online by following the link:

http://www.psychoheresy-aware.org/ccmpccbk_online.html

I think it'd do believers a great service to read this brief and poignant book.

2008/7/29 11:16
Ruach34

Beijing

Re:

My wife is a Psychologist, a neuropsychologist specifically. She carries that title with much dignity and humility. She understands that it is only a means to step foot into a world that is sucked into 'self-image boosting,' just feel good, humanistic and paganism. This 'title' allows her to step where someone else probably could not go. I consistently lift her up in prayer as without she could not do what she has been enabled to by the HOLY SPIRIT at work in her. So the title itself is only a means to...not the chief end.

Please apply much grace to your opinions on Psychologists/psychiatrists/counselors. They can be used by GOD and they can be used by the powers of darkness. Please be careful not to blanket a statement on the whole lot of them.

During the training my wife went through she had to be videotaped in her 'sessions.' It was apparent that the LORD was blessing her work because, without a doubt, when the subject turned to forgiveness through JESUS, or healing by His blood the video would be out of tape.

After she was endowed with the title of Doctor of Psychology, we believed strongly that we were to go into private practice. (I say we because the decision involved both of us.) In her intake sheet she has included a question about religious preference or church affiliation. Some leave blank but many insert their denomination etc...This question alone has led to much of her 'counseling' ending up in prayer, exhortation and discipling. The stories she hears, the damage done by husbands, churches, pastors, relatives and the like are astounding and jaw-dropping. I could not, in one hundred lives, imagine such evil was possible. This is where the light shines the brightest, and my wife, a NeuroPsychologist, endowed with a title of Doctor can be led and empowered by the HOLY SPIRIT to speak truth and apply grace to sin and death. Surely where sin abounds, grace abounds all the more. O praise GOD that he sees fit to use anyone, in any capacity as we remain willing without any conceit in opinion or personal belief.

This may be a solitary case of such a work, but, believe me, it is possible. With man nothing is possible, but with GOD all things are possible. So, let GOD be true and every man a liar.

Yet, there are, LORD willing, many cases of such a work across this land and the world.

Please pray for my wife and lift her up to our FATHER in heaven that He might be glorified in this work. Pray that she might be kept in the blood of JESUS CHRIST and be endued with the power of the HOLY SPIRIT.

if anyone would like, PM me and I can send you the link to her website.

2008/7/29 12:44Profile
Limey153

Berkshire, England

Counselling is fine as long as it is biblical and that the counsellor is one who walks with God and well aquainted with his word. One could even argue that certain letters from the apostle Paul are a form of counselling. Afterall he writes to people/churches who have issues and gives Godly advice and counsel regarding those matters.

2008/7/29 12:58Profile

Re:

Ruach34... I dont think any of us are referring to what your wife does. It sounds to me that she is very well balanced.

Having said that, most counseling in the church has become nothing more than a Christianized shadow of secular pop-psychology... feel good about yourself, and you'll be better. You need to be happy, and if things or people in your life dont make you happy... then change your situation so you are happy.

The cross wasnt designed to make us feel good about ourselves.

But like I said, I think most of us here would not have any problem with how your wife conducts her counseling

Krispy

2008/7/29 13:28

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy