SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Press Conference on Psalm 15

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
JoanM

Press Conference on Psalm 15

There was a time in America and in the church when words from the pulpit moved presidents to speak and the press reported it. Here are excerpts from an article by John Frame, printed in Leadership magazine that I heard and saw today.

[i]Sandwiched between the worst one-two punch in our country’s history – the Great Depression and World War II – was a bright spring day in 1938.

March 5, 1938, to be exact.

If ever a nation needed a message of hope and assurance -- it was then. And if ever a nation needed an echo of that same message, it is today!...

That morning, Roosevelt had attended services at St. John’s Episcopal Church seeking divine guidance as head of the nation. Stirred by the sermon he’d heard, at a press conference immediately following, FDR said something – not political – but prophetic.

... he opened the briefing in a way that startled the reporters.

When asked what counsel he could give this weary nation, in that trademark voice, Roosevelt boomed: “I ask that every newspaper in the country print the text of the 15th Psalm. There could be no better lead for your story.”

Those were the president’s words when questioned on the state of our country – and they pointed much deeper to the state of our soul.... But the 15th Psalm? ... Exactly. And that’s what we need today all across our country.[/i]

Psalm 15 (so you don’t have to look it up)

1 LORD, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill?
2 He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart.
3 He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour.
4 In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoureth them that fear the LORD. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not.
5 He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things shall never be moved.

I will try to find a newspaper for March 5, 1938.

2008/7/28 3:57Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy