SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Return, America, to the Lord your God

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

All the politics aside, the thrust of this original post is a call to a solemn assembly to repent of our sins collectively as well as individually.

Without a doubt this country didn't just stumble into being what it at least used to resemble without God. Could list all the benefits to the world that this country has bestowed upon the world not the least being that it has sent out more missionary's than any other on the face of the planet.(And just as well the atrocities)...

But the state we are in regardless of Government policies is one that we need to repent of and I don't see how any of us are not complicit in it.
No matter what our position is in this life we are guilty and even our righteousness is but filthy rags. What of our sins of omission?

I can only think of Daniel as it applies here.
What was it that he had been guilty of before he uttered this prayer from a broken heart? Seems to me he joined himself with the people when he said:

"In the first year of Darius the son of Ahasuerus, of the seed of the Medes, who was made king over the realm of the Chaldeans, in the first year of his reign I, Daniel, understood by the books the number of the years whereof the word of Jehovah came to Jeremiah the prophet, for the accomplishing of the desolations of Jerusalem, even seventy years. And I set my face unto the Lord God, to seek by prayer and supplications, with fasting and sackcloth and ashes. And I prayed unto Jehovah my God, and made confession, and said, Oh, Lord, the great and dreadful God, who keepeth covenant and lovingkindness with them that love him and keep his commandments, we have sinned, and have dealt perversely, and have done wickedly, and have rebelled, even turning aside from thy precepts and from thine ordinances; neither have we hearkened unto thy servants the prophets, that spake in thy name to our kings, our princes, and our fathers, and to all the people of the land.
O Lord, righteousness belongeth unto thee, but unto us confusion of face, as at this day; to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and unto all Israel, that are near, and that are far off, through all the countries whither thou hast driven them, because of their trespass that they have trespassed against thee.

O Lord, to us belongeth confusion of face, to our kings, to our princes, and to our fathers, because we have sinned against thee.
To the Lord our God belong mercies and forgiveness; for we have rebelled against him;
neither have we obeyed the voice of Jehovah our God, to walk in his laws, which he set before us by his servants the prophets. Yea, all Israel have transgressed thy law, even turning aside, that they should not obey thy voice: therefore hath the curse been poured out upon us, and the oath that is written in the law of Moses the servant of God; for we have sinned against him.
And he hath confirmed his words, which he spake against us, and against our judges that judged us, by bringing upon us a great evil; for under the whole heaven hath not been done as hath been done upon Jerusalem. As it is written in the law of Moses, all this evil is come upon us: yet have we not entreated the favor of Jehovah our God, that we should turn from our iniquities, and have discernment in thy truth. Therefore hath Jehovah watched over the evil, and brought it upon us; for Jehovah our God is righteous in all his works which he doeth, and we have not obeyed his voice.
And now, O Lord our God, that hast brought thy people forth out of the land of Egypt with a mighty hand, and hast gotten thee renown, as at this day; we have sinned, we have done wickedly.

O Lord, according to all thy righteousness, let thine anger and thy wrath, I pray thee, be turned away from thy city Jerusalem, thy holy mountain; because for our sins, and for the iniquities of our fathers, Jerusalem and thy people are become a reproach to all that are round about us. Now therefore, O our God, hearken unto the prayer of thy servant, and to his supplications, and cause thy face to shine upon thy sanctuary that is desolate, for the Lord's sake. O my God, incline thine ear, and hear; open thine eyes, and behold our desolations, and the city which is called by thy name: for we do not present our supplications before thee for our righteousness, but for thy great mercies' sake. O Lord, hear; O Lord, forgive; O Lord, hearken and do; defer not, for thine own sake, O my God, because thy city and thy people are called by thy name."

Daniel 9:1-19

2004/7/8 0:31Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re: The root of our common sin

Chanin – and others,

Your attitude displayed in your posting saddens this old praying man.
May I ask if you have spent quality time with these men and women at, for example Capitol Hill Prayer Alert, which you so distinctly label as of no worth in the process of bringing America back to God?
Sharing their burden, their daily struggle would soften any man’s, and woman’s, heart.

We surely need an awakening among us. Too mush dreams and vision, too little of a practical walk among men in authority positions, who Paul give highest priority in prayer.

As in so many other threads and postings, the initial target will be lost in a wave of words which contends with and contradicts the aim and purpose of God. This touches the root of our common sin – talking ourselves out of and away from solid responsibility as to Heavenly things. We cannot join a Christian heart in the work bringing an nation back to God because they do not belong to the same part as we, they do not think like we do.
Are we born of the same Spirit? Do we belong to the same Lord?
If so, Live it!! Live this reality in Spirit!!

Standing on prayer ground together, where the Holy Spirit has an opportunity to break our hearts and fill our minds with heavenly material will change societies. It will bring a House of Prayer for all peoples – an awakening.

Lars W.

2004/7/8 3:53Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

I hear your heart Lars. I am not against the solemn assembly. However, I recognized that specific dates were assigned to this project. It happens to coexist with the elections.

All the candidates have been select for this election. Being a christian, I have a hard time voting from someone who is not a christian. I know where God has brought me from. I know the world. How can I vote for the world?

Democrat or Republican, who is a christian? Is Cheney, is Edwards, is Condeleza Rice, is Paul Wolfowitz, is Rumsfield, is Colin Powell, is John Kerry, is President Bush a christian?

It is all a deception. Now having said this, if the Church were to repent, if believer's would begin living the Life, if they would sow and water, perhaps God would give the increase. It is up to God to make things right.

In terms of Daniel's heart, how many Americans, who are christians, would give up what this country gives them for the pilgramage that Daniel experienced? I myself struggle with this notion. Yet, I know all things work together for the good for those who love God.

Lars, you are right in that I do not know the men you speak of. And God will work His plan to perfection. I just see in Scripture, take Abraham for example, that men will err, yet God is faithful to His promises. Christianity is one heart at a time, there will be a nation of believers. Today is the day of salvation, let us seek to touch one heart today.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/7/8 12:01Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

Dear Jeff,
Thank you for kind response.
I am not very keen on voting for or against things which is of the world. Our latest election a couple of weeks ago was one regarding the EU Parliament – what could one say. . .
What we do is more or less missing the mark again and again by allowing ourselves to become entangled in party politics, religiously motivated defence of positions, majoring on minors.
Prayer at its best is influencing hearts. Prayer at its best is done concerning enemies, not for the sake of doing away with them, but . . .
This is work done by a Church which has to be wide awake.
Lars

2004/7/8 12:17Profile
TerryLee

Sweden

Re:

We are indeed looking forward to a steady flow of material from Richard Owen Roberts and men of his calibre and stature.
And we are praying for you, brother Greg.
Terry

2004/7/8 12:58Profile
moreofHim

Re: apology

Lars,

I apologize, for I was not refering to the group you mentioned -Capital Hill prayer. I actually didn't even see that in the thread until afterwards. Sorry about that. I was addressing groups such as repentamerica.com and the like.

I am very sorry that once again I have dissapointed you. I hope you are not saying that just because I have dreams that I am not walking in my spirituality. I hope by what I have presented on SI and what I present in my life as I live it- that I am walking in the surrendered life. That's what I hope and pray for.

Please accept my apology. I did not, again, mean to offend you or your group. May you be blessed.

In His love, chanin

2004/7/8 14:53Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re: No personal controversy

Chanin, and others. . .
I am not offended, there is no personal controversy to sort out.
I am targeting our common attitude as Christians. We are labelling each other according to certain categories chosen on the basis of personal preferences. The common denominator should be one which tries to recognize heavenly life and eternal values – one word for it: Christ.
What perplexity this will bring to us all. An urgent, ever deepening willingness to assist in prayer and comfort. A heartbreaking experience of the trials and pain seen in other men’s search for truth and, as in this case, a serious effort regarding societal change.
There is no room for – and I do not point a finger – flakiness, shallowness, lopsidedness, pride, and you are able to add many other definitions.
It is at the point where the real work to bring forth true revival is about to begin that these diversions, divisions and deviations set in to take us off the proper track – even in our small treads and discussions.
Lars

2004/7/8 15:18Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Iwpray,

In my short time as a believer I have begun to see the things that do seperate us. As I grow in the Lord, I also see more clearly the depravity of man. I see the influences of the world in myself and other believers. The call to maturity in Christ will enable us to discern between darkness and light. It is Christ alone who can take away the world from us.

I see an unwillingness to give up the things of this world. I see men adrift in the sea of confusion. This is the work of Satan. The power of creating deception, the power of influencing the formation of philosophies among the brethren is overwhelming many. We get caught up in the moments of the day, and miss the Life and all His promises.

Thankyou for your love of the brethren,
In Christ
Jeff

2004/7/8 18:16Profile

An incredible opportunity

This is an incredible opportunity to for us all to walk together and pray together for the sake of a real revival.
Let us join forces and try to live up to all the niceties we so easily toss around.
Hanna

2004/7/9 4:05
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Hello Brother Jeff,

Quote:
I see an unwillingness to give up the things of this world. I see men adrift in the sea of confusion. This is the work of Satan. The power of creating deception, the power of influencing the formation of philosophies among the brethren is overwhelming many. We get caught up in the moments of the day, and miss the Life and all His promises.

I have felt this many times in my Christian life and have struggled with it much. One thing I have noticed on a personal level is that since abandoning nearly all sources of secular media in my life (TV, radio, newspapers, magazines, etc.) I am getting to where I hate sin when I see it. I mean, I actively hate sin on a continual basis and feel a lot less inclined to have to struggle against it so much. Now this would include the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes especially.

There is something about the media's influence that carries with it a deadening effect upon the conscience. I believe if we give it some time and allow ourselves to be 'detoxed' from from the gross saturation of sin that the media exposes us to- we can begin to walk in total victory over those things. There is much more to sin and this issue than I have stated, but this is a good starting point. Here is a link to a little paper I have frequently taught on this subject.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=3364

God Bless,

-Robert

2004/7/9 9:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy