Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
tjservant

Indiana USA

The Best Safeguard Against False Doctrine

The Best Safeguard Against False Doctrine

Quoting JC Ryle . . .

Many things combine to make the present inroad of false doctrine peculiarly dangerous. There is an undeniable zeal in some of the teachers of error: their "earnestness" makes many think they must be right. There is a great appearance of learning and theological knowledge: many fancy that such clever and intellectual men must surely be safe guides. There is a general tendency to free thought and free inquiry in these latter days: many like to prove their independence of judgment, by believing novelties. There is a wide-spread desire to appear charitable and liberal-minded: many seem half ashamed of saying that anybody can be in the wrong.

There is a quantity of half-truth taught by the modern false teachers: they are incessantly using Scriptural terms and phrases in an unscriptural sense. There is a morbid craving in the public mind for a more sensuous, ceremonial, sensational, showy worship: men are impatient of inward, invisible heart-work. There is a silly readiness in every direction to believe everybody who talks cleverly, lovingly, and earnestly, and a determination to forget that Satan often masquerades himself "as an angel of light" (2 Corinthians 11:14). There is a wide-spread "gullibility" among professing Christians: every heretic who tells his story plausibly is sure to be believed, and everybody who doubts him is called a persecutor and a narrow-minded man.
All these things are peculiar symptoms of our times.

I defy any observing person to deny them. They tend to make the assaults of false doctrine in our day peculiarly dangerous. They make it more than ever needful to cry aloud, "Do not be carried away!". If any one should ask me, What is the best safeguard against false doctrine? -- I answer in one word: "The Bible: the Bible regularly read, regularly prayed over, regularly studied."
We must go back to the old prescription of our Master: "Diligently study the Scriptures" (John 5:39).

2008/7/19 18:47Profile
Compton

Re: The Best Safeguard Against False Doctrine

Good article tjservant,

MC

2008/7/19 19:59Profile

Nice!

2008/7/19 21:07
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Quote:
There is a morbid craving in the public mind for a more sensuous, ceremonial, sensational, showy worship: men are impatient of inward, invisible heart-work. There is a silly readiness in every direction to believe everybody who talks cleverly, lovingly, and earnestly, and a determination to forget that Satan often masquerades himself "as an angel of light" (2 Corinthians 11:14). There is a wide-spread "gullibility" among professing Christians: every heretic who tells his story plausibly is sure to be believed, and everybody who doubts him is called a persecutor and a narrow-minded man.

It's almost as if Ryle had been frequenting these forums even back in his day.
Quote:

And we know that things only wax worse and worse. If it was like this back in the late 1800's, how much more relevant must his words be in these last and ultra-deceptive days? The gap is probably just as large between the worth of a nickel in 1888 and the worth of one now in 2008.
Quote:
"The Bible: the Bible regularly read, regularly prayed over, regularly studied."

Yes, this is the only effectual antedote to counter the poison of error. If only believers would genuinely read their Bibles and allow God to perform heart surgery in the private chamber. If only we would read, if only we would believe, and if only we would obey.

[i]"Diligently study the Scriptures"[/i] (John 5:39).

2008/7/19 21:10Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Very timely! Thanks!

:-)

2008/7/19 22:05Profile
Nellie

Re:

Very good.
A Scripture comes to mind.

Study to show thyself approved UNTO GOD,aworkman that needeth not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15.

God Bless all,
Nellie

2008/7/19 22:14Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Quote:
If it was like this back in the late 1800's, how much more relevant must his words be in these last and ultra-deceptive days? The gap is probably just as large between the worth of a nickel in 1888 and the worth of one now in 2008.

The disparity just .. throttles the mind. "Ultra" indeed. He were are in the very thick of it ...

Quote:
There is a morbid craving in the public mind for a more sensuous, ceremonial, sensational, showy worship: men are impatient of inward, invisible heart-work. There is a silly readiness in every direction to believe everybody who talks cleverly, lovingly, and earnestly, and a determination to forget that Satan often masquerades himself "as an angel of light" (2 Corinthians 11:14). There is a wide-spread "gullibility" among professing Christians: every heretic who tells his story plausibly is sure to be believed, and everybody who doubts him is called a persecutor and a narrow-minded man.

Symptoms then and now ... the plague.

An astute piece TJ.

2008/7/20 11:28Profile
suzy

Devon, England

May thanks for an excellent, timely post. Yes, this wonderful Bible has the answer. The more I read it, the more I love it, the more I discover and the more it fascinates me!

Suzy

2008/7/20 11:59Profile
Fuegodedios

Richmond, VA

This is a very wonderful message from Mr. Ryle. I have been blessed by SI to find out about such a man. I am in the process of reading his book called Holiness and WOW!! the first chapter on sin is amazing. May God grace us with more men like Mr Ryle in our day. Men that will proclaim truth. Thanks tjservant for posting this.

2008/7/20 12:07Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Excellent article! It is a keeper - one I will have to copy/paste into my documents to share with another audience!

God bless you for sharing this!

ginnyrose

2008/7/20 16:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy