SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Hebrews 6 Foundational Teachings - Laying on of Hands?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Mattie

Hebrews 6 Foundational Teachings - Laying on of Hands?

Whomever the writer of Hebrew speaks in ch.6 to the Jewish believers of the "elementary principles of Messiah" or the beginning of the "oracles of God".

In these foundational truths he mentions several things:
1. repentance from dead works and faith toward God
2. doctrine of baptisms
3. LAYING ON OF HANDS
4. eternal judgment
5. resurrection from the dead

what was basic for the early believers is far-fetched for many of us today. and one of the foundational doctrines is the LAYING ON OF HANDS!

While I have many observations as to what this may be speaking of, I would like to hear your thoughts on what you think the laying on of hands as a foundational teaching is referring to...

2008/7/18 13:12Profile
DelightedInU

Escondido, CA

Re: Hebrews 6 Foundational Teachings - Laying on of Hands?

This is my own opinion, but from my understanding, I think that the laying on of hand is an act of faith for believers. I think that anyone can pray for someone to be healed or for general prayer, but the act of laying on of hands is a step of faith for us through which God can move (not to say He can't move otherwise). Also, I think that the Spirit can move powerfully through touch. How many times did Jesus heal through touching them? I don't have any specific scriptures to back it up, just from my general understanding of the Word of God. I'd like to hear what others think too.

2008/7/18 13:23Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Its an interesting verse, also the repentance from dead works part, many who has been belivers for some time yet dont know what this is.

what is a dead work?

if we dont know what a dead work is, how can you repent from it?

and if we havent repented of dead works, we are still building the foundation. We have not moved on, how can we build the first and second floor when the foundation yet has some important things unfinished?

so we have believers who have for years not moved up on the higher floors because they yet have not finished the foundation.

so if anyone dont know what a dead work is, it means you probably are still working on the foundation. Let us move on....

2008/7/18 14:16Profile
Logic

Re:

I would say that dead works are a form of dead faith.
Faith w/out works is dead, therefore, works w/out faith are dead.
Furthermore, That which drives works of faith(living works) is love, so, I would also say that all the things in 1Corinth 13:2-3 would be describing dead works (w/out love).

2008/7/18 14:43Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

Logic wrote:
I would say that dead works are a form of dead faith.
Faith w/out works is dead, therefore, works w/out faith are dead.
Furthermore, That which drives works of faith(living works) is love, so, I would also say that all the things is 1Corinth 13:2-3 would be describing dead works (w/out love).

also i think it has to do with our attitude, for example:

in the old covenant, we should pay 10%, but many did it, but they dident want to, they obeyed God but not from the heart.

so we can also do sometimes, with other things.

2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; [b]not grudgingly, or of necessity:[/b] for God loveth a cheerful giver.
2Co 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

so i think, however little our work is, or great, so we must do it as you mentioned with love and joy. If we do it grudgingly, or of necessity... it is a dead work.

we can do the works, but if we do them with the wrong motive they are dead works. Even prayer and bible reading and other good things. If we do them with wrong reasons or motives, attitude...i belive they are dead works.

If we give, and do not really want to it is a dead work. and ect...

2008/7/18 14:59Profile
intrcssr83

Logan City, Queensland, Australia

Quote:
by Mattie on 2008/7/19 4:12:54

Whomever the writer of Hebrew speaks in ch.6 to the Jewish believers of the "elementary principles of Messiah" or the beginning of the "oracles of God".

In these foundational truths he mentions several things:
1. repentance from dead works and faith toward God
2. doctrine of baptisms
3. LAYING ON OF HANDS
4. eternal judgment
5. resurrection from the dead

what was basic for the early believers is far-fetched for many of us today. and one of the foundational doctrines is the LAYING ON OF HANDS!

Sad but true: These are the things that the author of Hebrews considered to be the basics, the "milk". Yet most churches nowadays are barely able to articulate from scripture what these six principles actually are - in theory, let alone in pracctice - to the point that those who are actually ready to receive the "meat" are becoming fewer and fewer. Worse still, these meat-eaters easily become ostracized as they simply can no longer fit in with those who still need to suckle on milk.

Has everyone seen Willow Creek's "Reveal Now" report that Bill Hybels gave?

But getting to your question:
Quote:
While I have many observations as to what this may be speaking of, I would like to hear your thoughts on what you think the laying on of hands as a foundational teaching is referring to...

The first thing that came to mind was 1 Timothy 4:14
[i]Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders [b]laid their hands[/b] on you.[/i]

From a Charismatic/Pentecostal POV, I see this as being akin to praying over someone to receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit: the leaders of a church (Presbytry) would gather around someone and lay hands, asking that God empower them for ministry through the operation of spiritual gifts.

In this respect, one of the duties church elders have is to give impartation, instruction and moderation as to how the gifts are to be operated within the church.

The same could be said of the gift of prophecy in this context: In addition to speaking words of encouragement and forthtelling to build up and edify the body, an elder with the gift of prophecy can also impart spiritual gifts onto others, especially if you have a person like Timothy who was a prime candidate for higher ministry.

So coming back to Hebrews 6, I see two likely scenarios:
a) The Hebrews lacked instruction about the Spiritual Gifts and had probably haven't yet experienced the Baptism of the Holy Spirit
OR
b) They had been instructed and had the elders lay hands, only to later down the track "neglect the gift".

So whereas the Corinthians had an excess of Spiritual Gifts that lacked moderation, the Hebrews on the other hand were in lack.

2008/7/18 20:14Profile
BeYeDoers

Bloomington, IN

Re:

Quote:
So coming back to Hebrews 6, I see two likely scenarios:
a) The Hebrews lacked instruction about the Spiritual Gifts and had probably haven't yet experienced the Baptism of the Holy Spirit

This is highly unlikely, since Paul never goes on to teach them or even mention such things...it wouldn't make sense to tell them not to return to foundational teachings if they had never heard them to begin with.

2008/7/18 20:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy