SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Men's Ministry Upstart

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread

Re:

Building Brothers believes that the primary reasons for this crisis within the church are:
There are very few viable models for men to follow.

Churches are not considered as a [url=http://www.buildingbrothers.org/site3/main.asp?PG=00&Sub=04&Q=Masculine]masculine (safe) place for men.[/url]

Churches need to build a [url=http://www.buildingbrothers.org/site3/main.asp?PG=00&Sub=04&Q=CoreLeadership]leadership core[/url] of men that the rest of the men can trust.

There is little expression of male identity within the church.

http://www.buildingbrothers.org/site3/main.asp?PG=01&Sub=00

2008/7/17 18:50
Compton

Re:

Quote:
It should also be noted that Eldridge's book of being a manly man is looked at through the lense of the upper-middle class yuppie type. He's a prisoner of his cubical, thus, needs a William Wallace like experience to live through.

Jimmy,

That's a valid comment that I think even Eldridge would agree with. His 'ministry' can perhaps best be understood through the sociological lens of the middle aged suburban male who feels his manly life has been reduced to a stifling, safe and meaningless treadmill towards retirement, and whose spiritual life has been domesticated with flowers and curtains and scented with a bathroom air freshener.

I almost imagine that City Slickers would make a good John Eldridge ministry movie. ;-)

MC

2008/7/17 18:51Profile
Zionshield

Ohio

Re:

Concerning John Eldredge:
Rather than respond to any particular post I thought it necessary to respond in general to the misgivings about this man's work. Have those that oppose his books been in depth with his teachings? What I am hearing consistantly among this thread as well as another blog I read today are misrepresentations that could only be made by skimming over or hearing someone else's take, but certainly not delving into what is being taught (it would seem). If you have read in depth lets discuss it, because I am well acquainted with his work also. I would be delighted to do so.

Not since the Lord used Watchman Nee's "The Spiritual Man" and some of Jessie Penn-Lewis' work have I come to see so much of what the enemy does in attacking the saints. Eldredge has accurately identified subtle tactics evil spirits use daily against us (mostly in "Waking the Dead", but also in "Sacred Romance".

I don't think I've ever read anyone that understands and explains so well the unfaithfulness in our lives. Look at how full the OT is with charges against Israel for their harlotries. The Lord taught me in my own life concerning a verse in Isaiah (don't know where right now) The Lord charged Israel with finding her strength again. They would leave Him, so He would deal with them and wait for their strength to fail (like our old man) but she found strength renewed in her adulteries. I saw this in me. The Lord would chastise me, I would grow weaker and thirsty for Him...on my way back to being single minded and full of light, but then an old "lover" would come around and my Adamic strength would be renewed. A lover might be food, football, people, an emotion...anything you go to to find comfort and strength except Jesus. I'm sorry if I'm not making sense. Have I been clear enough to be understood a little?

One other example is in "Journey of Desire". I have been most recently going down a path the Lord is changing me concerning my hope and my real home. I did not realize how much I'm trying to find my life here in experiences, vacations, days off, etc... "You are dead and your life is hid with Christ in God" ...I'm gaining a reality of this truth in daily life now. John deals with this a great deal in this book.

I will not make this any longer, but there is so, so much that God is revealing to His people through this man. When I picked up "Wild at Heart" as I held it I felt the presence of the Lord and I knew I needed to read it. It broke up ground in my heart and revealed a terrible wound that has constantly undermined my walk with God. John Wesley admitted not being able to reach certain people in his congregation, people like me. Eldredge has and is. I thank God for him.

2008/7/20 23:14Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
When I picked up "Wild at Heart" as I held it I felt the presence of the Lord and I knew I needed to read it

Thanks Zionshield,

A friend of mine gave me a copy of Wild at Heart and the Journey of Desire. He was really going through a personal crisis at the time, and the Lord seemed to use these books in his life much in the same way you testified. During this trial in his life, his giving me those books was a very meaningful and personal affirmation of our friendship. I read both books, and we had some crucial times of fellowship discussing them, as well as trying to build one another up during his painful season.

Your testimony here is a reminder to me to measure everything I say by how it helps Christians on their way with Christ...not offer my opinions just because I can. My comments below needlessly devalued Eldrides work, and I regret that now.

It's a problem I tend to have. Pray for me.

I'm realizing these days how little I've been living with the awareness that in an instance I could be facing our Lord. I do not think I will be so clever on that day.

Well, overlook my comments if you could.

Blessings,

MC

2008/7/20 23:54Profile
Zionshield

Ohio

Re:

Thank you Compton,

You have blessed me tremendously. I believe Andrew Murray was right when he said that "humility is the glory of man". What a beautiful garment it is that compells me to worship the Worthy Lord to Whom we delight in bowing to. I will pray for you (I also need your prayers).

2008/7/21 21:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy