SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Faithfullness

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Ema

Faithfullness

Nothing personal, just something I've been thinking/learning about these past couple of days.

All this week I've been dwelling on the thought of faith and what it means to be faithful. Does it really matter if I follow the word the way I am convicted to? Doesn't Jesus accept me regardless, especially since nothing I do can add or take away from Him?

For a couple of days kept coming back to John 1:42, "....now when Jesus looked at Him, he said 'You are Simon, the son of Jonah. You shall be called Cephas,' (which is translated A Stone.)

Today at the evening prayer meeting, we opened to Luke ch. 8 where Jesus quiets the storm, and the part that really spoke to me was when he said, (verse 25) "Where is your faith?"

Instead of trusting in God, they were consumed with fear.

While on this topic, I would like to add that while cleaning today I was conviced that my faith was strong enough if I should have to give my life for Christ. That was a laugh. Just after thinking this I stood up and scraped my back on the edge of a counter and Wow, did that hurt! Needless to say, I needed to ask God for forgiveness right then and there -which I didn't, but after getting over myself I finally came to my senses. I know this is a lame example of fear and lack of faith, but bear with me.

We talked about how we complained when we thought summer should've been here in early June, and it was still cold. Then summer came and we complain that its too hot. Instead of complaining, we should be thankful that there are changes in seasons! Who are we to order God around with different things, like ungrateful children?

-I think we got off topic because truthfully, it was very warm in church. But think about it, in the middle east the temperature would be about the same as Arizona in the summer, ...and back in the day, they didn't have air conditioning, and so they preached for pure love of God.

I believe that by always giving thanks, it is possible to remain faithful regardless of the circumstances.

We talked about how even though Jesus appeared to His disciples after his resurection, Jesus marveled at their lack of faith.

Luke 24:38-43 "And He said to them 'Why are you troubled? And why do doubts arise in your hearts? Behold my hands and feet, that it is I Myself. Handle Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have.' When He said this, He showed them His hands and His feet. But while they still did not believe for joy, and marveled He said to them, 'Have you any food here?' So they gave Him a piece of broiled fish and some honeycomb. And He took it and ate in their presence.

These were the disciples that followed Him everywhere! He was always with them, but they even struggled with faith! Sounds to me a lot like people in today's day and age. The Holy Spirit is calling, beckoning us, but because of our lack of faith nothing can be done. May God help us to pay attention nonstop.

Let us be faithful because He is faithful.

We also opened Genesis 22 where God asks Abraham to sacrifice, his son, Isaac. Abraham gathered things for an alter and his son said (vs 7), ...“Look, the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?”

(I don't know of any human being asked such a thing before, How could He answer His son that question?)

Abraham's response was simply, (8) “...My son, God will provide for Himself the lamb for a burnt offering.” So the two of them went together.

To think that back in the day they didn't have the Holy bible with all its goodness. They only had it partly and whatever the Lord spoke to them from time to time. Sometimes they would go years, without ever hearing any word from God.

Abraham had great faith, I don't understand how, but He did.

Needless to say, God stopped Abraham and sent a ram along for the offering instead; Abraham then gave God an offering of thanks.

We can learn a lot for this guy. He thanked God even though He just went through a really tough trial in his life. There were actually many others, but this was most likely the hardest one of all.

Had it been me, i probably would have questioned God, or my hearing.

Even so, you would think that nowadays people would be full of faith considering we have the whole bible and the Holy Spirit at our grasps.

Lord forgive us for ever doubting you!

May we pray in faith, fully! May we remain faithful to what is truth, always. Lest what we say and do is in vain.

To answer my above questions, Yes! It is important to do what the bible teaches, the way that I am led and convicted! Even if that means to have foot washing before communion, or covering my head when I pray, or wearing modest clothes on a daily basis. Or bless when I would rather cuss at someone/something. Or stand up for a soul or a cause when everyone else isn't.

And no, whatever I do can never add or take away from God, but what I do, or don't do will most definetly have an affect on me and possibly others too.

Rather than leaving room for being charged guilty, I would rather have a clear concious knowing that I did everything I knew I could do, right.

2008/7/14 4:25Profile

Re: Faithfullness

Quote:
All this week I've been dwelling on the thought of faith and what it means to be faithful. Does it really matter if I follow the word the way I am convicted to? Doesn't Jesus accept me regardless, especially since nothing I do can add or take away from Him?

Jesus will accept us, based on what HE has done. In are fallen state we have "earn" something in order to get; especially in the churches in America. What do I have to do to be saved? There is such an easy believism in our Church...almost like sacraments for the protestant church. We feel we have to earn something. But we don't fully realize that even our faith is a gift from God.

Quote:
All this week I've been dwelling on the thought of faith and what it means to be faithful. Does it really matter if I follow the word the way I am convicted to?

As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were your in your ignorance,
but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; because it is written, "You shall be Holy, for I am Holy." 1 Peter 1:14-16

2008/7/14 7:53

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy