SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : David Wilkerson's VISION

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
IsaiahSix3

David Wilkerson's VISION

Hey everyone, I'm wondering if anyone here has read and has any opinion of David Wilkerson's prophecies in his book The Vision - written in 1973? I myself am normally very skeptical of any modern-day predictions, but I'm pretty startled by some of what he said, knowing how long ago he wrote it. Some things are really an accurate picture of what the world is like today... and I don't know how, without God's help... anyone could've seen any of it coming. I like and respect David Wilkerson as a pastor and I trust him. There's not many people I can say that about. I just wonder if anyone else has any thoughts on that book. What predictions do you see having possibly come to pass?

Isaiah

2008/7/9 10:51Profile
dohzman

Re: David Wilkerson's VISION

He says he's not a prophet but a watchman. That book and much of what he has had to say seems pretty right on. In one part where he talks about TV, looking at TV than and now, who would have thought? And it's getting even worse. After this next election you'll see the riots He spoke of.

2008/7/9 14:59Profile

Re:

I have issues with some of his "visions". He wrote a book some time ago called something like "Set The Trumpet To Thy Mouth"... and I read it and thought some of it was a little fruity.

Because of that I dont particularly endorse Wilkerson. He seems a little whacky at times, and at other times he can be very convicting.

... and it's odd... he looks a lot like Pat Boone.

Krispy

2008/7/9 16:05
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Krispy…

Quote:

I have issues with some of his "visions". He wrote a book some time ago called something like "Set The Trumpet To Thy Mouth"... and I read it and thought some of it was a little fruity.

Because of that I dont particularly endorse Wilkerson. He seems a little whacky at times, and at other times he can be very convicting.

Would you mind elaborating about what exactly you think is "wacky" from [i]Set the Trumpet to thy Mouth[/i]?

The first chapter is the only one that strikes me that it would be a bit controversial as it discusses what David Wilkerson sees will happen to America (“sudden destruction”). However, Wilkerson doesn’t really touch on too many of the specifics other than what he feels that the Lord revealed to him concerning Scriptural passages in the Old Testament about those things. He does mention signs regarding the end, including a future war in which oil fields would be set on fire (ironically, he published this book in 1986…several years before Saddam Hussein set the oil fields on fire in the first Gulf War in 1991). He also mentions economic uncertainty before the End. All of these things, according to Wilkerson, serve as “warning signs” before the End comes.

The rest of the chapters are less controversial to traditional holiness believers. Chapter 2 discusses the “horrible thing” – adultery, fornication and divorce – in the Church. Chapter 3 discusses personal idols within the lives of some believers (television, movies, music, etc…). Chapter 4 discusses “the music of devils in God’s house” – the essence of which I wholeheartedly agree (even though I don’t see it as much as a legalistic, black/white issue, but rather, an issue of compromise or an unhealthy desire to either appear worldly to win the lost or conforming our sacred music to our worldly tastes). Chapter 5 discusses the fallacy of building “megachurches” or running Churches like corporations (including those crazy seeker-church growth ideas). Chapter 6 discusses “pillow prophets” – those preachers who are afraid to offend or those who tickle our itching ears. Finally the last chapter discusses a need for the Church to sanctify herself from the things of this world.

I’ve read this book several times – including the foreword by Leonard Ravenhill – and have often been blessed by much of its content. I would hardly consider Wilkerson to be “whacky” by it. Then again, I agree with much of what he preaches anyway. As for Wilkerson’s book [i]The Vision[/i], I really don’t know what to think. I read it several years ago. Yes, the things that he says he saw in his vision are strikingly reminiscent to things in today’s world. However, the overall message of the book is NOT to “heed” his words, but to be ready for the End. I think that this is the same as with the rest of his books. In fact, my favorite book by Wilkerson is [i]The Cross and the Switchblade[/i] and [i]Hungry for More of Jesus[/i]. I feel encouraged to seek the face of God each time I read them!

:-)

2008/7/9 17:01Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
... and it's odd... he looks a lot like Pat Boone.

That's funny. I've always though Nicky Cruz looks a little like Eric Estrada.

MC

2008/7/9 17:35Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I personally don't care for David Wilkerson's "Vision." First off, he seldom actually tells what it is that he saw. Rather, he interprets what he saw, from time to time, telling exactly what it was he saw. Secondly, "The Vision" espouses a pre-tribulational rapture theory as part of his vision from God. The pre-trib rapture, while popular theology (and officially endrosed by the Assemblies of God, with whom Wilkerson was ordained under at the time), simply isn't Biblical. Thus, I must reject Wilkerson's vision as having been from the Lord.

2008/7/9 18:48Profile
theopenlife

Re:

I'm with KingJimmy, here, on having issues with visions from God including the pre-trib scheme of the Rapture. If you're pre-trib, chase that in another thread, but it blinks "Warning" to me.

I do think Wilkerson is a sincere man, though, and no charlatan.

2008/7/9 20:58Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Indeed, Wilkerson is sincere and no charlatan. When it comes to prophetic things though, he seems rather "hit and miss." We should not merely wink at the misses.

2008/7/9 21:05Profile

Re: David Wilkerson's VISION

Matthew 4 says, “And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread”. We link the LIVING bread with LOVE. Those that appear to be behind a block wood are considered "best" or "excellent"; however, such is Tower-of-Babel (hierarchy) like ideas. In righteous judgment, there is only good and bad, two paths, love (God) and hate. There are 2 ways [broad VS narrow (Matthew 7:13-14)]; two trees [good bring forth good fruit VS corrupt bring forth evil fruit (Matthew 7:15-20)]; and 2 foundations [rock VS sand (Matthew 7:24-29)]. Amen! God is good!

When we judge righteous based on the FRUIT of the LIPS, and words, there IS NO TOWER-of-BABEL ideas! We commit the sin of being a respecter of persons in JUDGMENT when we respect those that may be considered "best" or "excellent". Righteous judgment as the Master does is "good" or "bad". Certain people are paid more attention based on how high up we think they are based on a pulpit or appearance of boldness on the tower. Our economy is based on the sin of respecter of persons, partiality. Yes, there are some that are truly hungry and thirsty of God, powerful in scriptures. Some of these quotes are truly profound; in fact, some really can remind of the Word of God! However, we go to the favorite preachers (temples, physical churches) for all of our answers, not quoting the verbatim every word WORD OF GOD. People can truly be deceived and fall for anything.The Word of GOD is our answer as it was the Master, Lord Jesus Christ's answer to the temptations of the world! When we are tired, we turn the church buildings and stones into bread or into what we live by instead of searching (presenting) the scriptures!

2008/7/9 21:12
dohzman

Re:

I don't know---as to pre- mid or post we shall see. I do believe this though, I don't believe it will matter here in America because the chastisement will be so heavy in this country by the time the trib does get here, large parts of this country will be totally destroyed already.

Interesting observation though that he interpets his prophesys through the lense of the AG. While I don't believe that to be the case it is note worthy and something that could or should be observed in all who prophesy. Background checks anybody:)?

2008/7/9 21:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy