SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Regarding debate with (wof) people

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Compton

Re:

I also have to agree, I've known some good Word/Faith brethren, which is another reason to simply avoid open combat with factions of the church whenever possible---it gives us time to see how things develop in one another's walks with the Lord. (edit: acts 5:38) Not all of those who attend Wof churches, believe everything associated with Wof...

At the risk of appearing to pander here, I do think it's worth mentioning that I don't think I've ever known a prayer-less Wof person. I've seen prayer-less Baptists, Methodists, and United Brethren...but the Wof expectation that God will move on their behalf seems to inspire at least a form of confident petition.

We may often disagree with the nature of some Wof prayers, but it occurs to me that not praying at all, as some Christians fail to do, might just be a greater error then praying wrongly.

At further risk of pandering...despite my disagreement with much of what is happening under the name of Lakeland, I am nevertheless challenged by the commitment of those people who would drop everything they are doing to drive half way across the country to attend revival meetings. I realize the content of the meetings is objectionable, and their motives for attending may be up for debate...but their enthusiasm and belief is certainly evident.

MC

2008/7/8 19:27Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: heresy

Hi everyone.

About heresy,

I think that heresy has as much(or at least also) to do with [i]contending for[/i] [b]views or doctrines[/b] to the disunity of the body, as it does with false doctrine in particular.

Perhaps it could be put this way also: heretics [u]promote and contend for[/u] false, [b]and/or[/b] divisive doctrines, [u]to the disunity of the body[/u].

G139
αἵρεσις
hairesis
hah'ee-res-is
From G138; properly a choice, that is, (specifically) a party or (abstractly) disunion. (“heresy” is the Greek word itself.): - heresy [which is the Greekord itself], sect.

Acts 20:30 comes to mind for instance.

On that phrase, [i]...to draw away disciples after them[/i] in Adam Clarke's commentary in E-sword it says

[b]To draw away disciples[/b] - To make schisms or rents in the Church, in order to get a party to themselves.

The Lord Jesus said,

[b][color=660000]My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me. If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or [i]whether[/i] I speak of myself. He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.
[/color][/b]

- from John 7:16-18(KJV)

Chris

2008/7/8 21:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy