SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Todd Bentley's TX Visit

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lawevangelis

Justin, TX

Re:

Mike, you have expressed my sentiments exactly. The so-called "experts" in some charismatic circles report on Bentley as if they can't be too hasty (shades of Treebeard for you Tolkien fans) while others (like Robertson's CBN) jump on the bandwagon.

Meanwhile, some have a problem with the use of (rightly deserved) sarcasm, but cannot debate (don't even try) the cold, hard fact that Bentley DOES NOT PREACH THE GOSPEL (yes, I am yelling). Apparently that does not matter to some. Does anyone know of a (real) revival in 2,000 years of church history that did not center on the Gospel?

Let it be said loud and clear, "Bentley is a false prophet!" There is an especially hot place in Hell set aside for Bentley and others of his ilk. I am angry at what I saw; it made me and everyone else on our team that went out there last Thursday sick. We have audio, video and eyewitness testimony to everything I wrote on the blog.

It seems to me that Jesus had some colorful things to say about the Pharisees in His day; "brood of vipers, whitewashed tombs full of dead men's bones" comes to mind. At least the Pharisees made a pretense of respecting the Word of God, which is A LOT more than what I can say for Bentley at his Denton, TX appearance. I wonder what our Lord would say and do?

Defending the indefensible is ludicrous. Bentley needs to be exposed in no uncertain terms. I can't be polite about false prophets. I don't pray fire down on him (he does that himself), but I do pray that he will be exposed in every city that he visits.

Why? One reason among many comes to mind; because of the children. Gullible parents drag their kids out to these events. Bentley prays the "anointing" over them, specifically. Something about a millstone comes to mind.

You want revival? Repent of your heresy and bandwagon-jumping. To your knees and to your Bible! Stop exalting fallen, perverted man and start following Jesus alone.

Jon

2008/7/8 10:50Profile

Re:

Amen crsschk.

I wonder what the Ravenhill's, the Bernard's, the Tozer's et al would be saying right now. Much of what I hear from them twenty/fifty years ago actually speaks of where we are at right now. They saw it coming and spoke against it. A soft Gospel and awe struck people looking for manifestations is something many of our forebretheren spoke of. Poonen, Wilkerson, and Carter Conlon also speak forcefully on these issues currently without even going to these events. They don't do 'reports'. Yet they are still very powerful in their discernment and speech. Carter Conlon was pleading in love for people to wake up to the falsehoods around us. He said that the falsehoods are to test the church as a judgment. My spirit agreed with that immediately and I wholeheartedly believe it. God will see if we are seeking signs or His Son. How would God have to go about doing that? But Brother Conlon's style, like Tozer et al is sincere, not curt, not sarcastic. That's not a blanket indictment against us here but is to say that we can all spill back into the flesh if we are not careful. I personally have seen what falsehoods do to deceive and am passionate against what I know to be false. If I overstep in emotion then it's only because I insist on making the point. But I must be careful which is why I believe much of this battle is not in words but in the prayer closet. I can't lift the veil but God can. The Tozer's of the world were filled with the Holy Spirit, their candor was within an anointing so they were perceived as authorities. People on websites and blogs, no matter how sincere or accurate in rightly divided doctrine are not perceived as authority, just people with a lot of opinion. Right or wrongly we're seen as stinging critics with arguments absent of love. Righteous anger is indeed angry but not bitter...I believe many ride that line. I never got that from a Tozer or a Ravenhill. They offended many and a few may have called them bitter, but that had more to do with their perception via offense rather than truth. Then again they had control of the stage and the message, they were not engaging in debate from a contrary position. So this forum is a different dynamic.

I'm passionate about truth and angry with the deception around us but I have to guard against bitterness to those who are deceived. As well intentioned as we are, we may not realize how we come across in stating our case. I'm not advocating soft by any means but taking a 'guarded approach' to make sure that any misunderstandings are more their perception of the message, and not our character unbound in passionate rebuttals or rebukes.

2008/7/8 11:10
rbanks

Re:

Brother Mike (moderator),

I don’t want you to assume, I want you to know I’m replying to you, that’s the reason I put your name and (moderator in parenthesis).

I can only assume your post was replying to me because you wrote “concern” in the reply post area. I looked back over the posts to see if anyone else had that name. Please forgive me and disregard if you were not replying to me.

The only other time you have replied to one of my posts was a sharp rebuke for asking questions to someone who asked a question, saying I was judging.

I don’t recall you ever saying anything good about anything I have written. You have accused me of being judgmental. I would like to know what you were implying in your long post.

I hope you weren’t accusing me of being soft on sin, or on any false prophet/teaching of anyone. I have walked in a building of hundreds of people and walked right up to a man who has written a number of books and also preached to thousands and looked him right in the eye and rebuked him for something he stated in one of his books. I could go on about other things but I want; because I am nothing. I can only say that I love Him because He first loved me.

I don’t know you and you don’t know me, but I know that I am born again and been filled with the Holy Ghost. I address my post to “whom it may concern”. Please tell me what part of my post was unbiblical and why did I get such a reply with the tone you wrote in.

If a moderator on here is above sin and any type of correction, then take my name off of SI and I will still love you and pray for you. If that sounds soft then so be it and if I have been to hard then please forgive me. In His grace I always desire to be.

Quote:

rbanks wrote:
To whom it may concern,

Jesus wept over Jerusalem. He being full of the Holy Spirit spoke grievingly to the religious leaders of His day and called them hypocrites and snakes because they were leading people to hell. He also willingly gave himself to be crucified for them. He also said the same judgment we use toward others would also be used toward us.

Are we being carnal in the way we conduct ourselves? Would Jesus make derogatory comments, would he conduct himself in humorous and foolish activities against those who were misrepresenting Him?

1Pe 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
1Pe 2:22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
1Pe 2:23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:
1Pe 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

If we are not going to strive to follow in His steps, then what is the whole purpose of saying we belong to Him, and that we are really seeking for genuine revival?

If things that are wrong don’t really grieve our heart but only gives us a right to show that we are more righteous or that we know better than they, how can we say we are filled with the Spirit that He was filled with?

Jesus was full of the Holy Spirit and tells us to be filled with the Spirit, and to walk in Love and sacrifice as He did. Being full of the Spirit, we should reprove darkness but not in the same attitude of others who are in the darkness. We are not to engage in the same type activities as people who don’t know God, Jesus expects better from His true followers. We are to live and walk in the fruit of the Spirit.

2008/7/8 14:05Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Sensitivity Training

Quote:
I can only assume your post was replying to me because you wrote “concern” in the reply post area.

?

Quote:
I looked back over the posts to see if anyone else had that name. Please forgive me and disregard if you were not replying to me.

OK, I will disregard brother ... It was a very general statement towards a variety of sentiment, across any number of postings, articles, what have you.

As to the rest of this ... apparently it does apply after all. You are way too sensitive

2008/7/8 16:26Profile
rbanks

Re:

Brother Mike (moderator),

Thanks for your response to my over sensitive post.

I believe you shoot a very straight arrow. I respect your strong witness for the true gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.

A friend in Christ,
rbanks

2008/7/8 17:22Profile
dohzman

Re: Lawevangelis

Lawevangelis said :"Let it be said loud and clear, "Bentley is a false prophet!" There is an especially hot place in Hell set aside for Bentley and others of his ilk."

The Word of God says: "Jud 1:9 Yet Michael the archangel, when he was disputing with the Devil in a debate about Moses' body, did not dare bring an abusive condemnation against him, but said, "The Lord rebuke you!"

I wonder which example is right?? or which example is righteous in the sight of God 2Ti 4:2 proclaim the message; persist in it whether convenient or not; rebuke, correct, and encourage with great patience and teaching.

Now I'm going to guess you're not yet 10 years old in the Lord, so because of that I'm going to refrain much of what I would say. The fact is if he has a demon and you are a real Holy Spirit Filled believer all you need do is cast it out, if he's following powers of darkeness, join with your witnessing group and bind and come against those powers, if you have the blessing of the Lord and He is with you than these powers will be bound and cast down and brought to naught.

Lawevangelis said: "I wonder what our Lord would say and do?" I think you may have reacted toward Jesus the same way these people did: Mar 3:20 Then He went into a house, and the crowd gathered again so that they were not even able to eat.
Mar 3:21 When His family heard this, they set out to restrain Him, because they said, "He's out of His mind."
Mar 3:22 And the scribes who had come down from Jerusalem said, "He has Beelzebul in Him!" and, "He drives out demons by the ruler of the demons!"
Consider this verse: 1Co 12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? ARE ALL WORKERS OF MIRACLES?

I don't like what I see/hear all the time in the church or in this revival, however I also am not willing to steal like a thief a real healing someone may have recieved at this revival because of my knowledge. I will however learn the lessons of a farmer and how to plant (make knowledge acceptable) and cultivate the hearts of men.
Lawevangelis
Your written words carry no authority, just anger (like one who stands outside a dark room and curses the darkness when all they needed to do was light a lamp and enter in that dark room to dispell the darkness), I'm going to guess your spoken words don't either. My advise to you is to make sure you have the blessing of God on your tongue and in your fingers before you do anything.
As to Bentley? Act 5:38 And now, I tell you, stay away from these men and leave them alone. For if this plan or this work is of men, it will be overthrown;
Act 5:39 but if it is of God, you will not be able to overthrow them. You may even be found fighting against God." So they were persuaded by him.

2008/7/8 19:45Profile
jiyouk

Re:

rbanks.
Fully agree with you brother.
One may be right but not conduct himself in a way that is right.
Bless you brother that you may be under both grace and truth (as you already seem to be heading), not leaning to the left or to the right.

2008/7/8 21:27Profile
rbanks

Re:

Quote:

jiyouk wrote:
rbanks.
Fully agree with you brother.
One may be right but not conduct himself in a way that is right.
Bless you brother that you may be under both grace and truth (as you already seem to be heading), not leaning to the left or to the right.

Thanks for the encouragement and for reading my post accurately.

In the church world where so much is going wrong today I still don't want to forget the words of Jesus who said they will know you are my disciples because you have love one to another.

It is so easy to get bitter today but the cause of Christ is greater than me, and I really do want to have the right attitude.

I just want to follow in His Steps which is impossible to do unless He lives in me to will and to do of His good pleasure.

Thanks again brother and may God richly bless you!

2008/7/8 22:06Profile
DelightedInU

Escondido, CA

Re: Todd Bentley's TX Visit

Hello All,

I was very excited when I first heard about Todd Bentley and the Flordia Revival. I believe in the power and workings of the Holy Spirit but I also have a healthy skepticism, as I believe that it should line up with what the scriptures teach. God has brought me from a place of flat out denial of these kinds of teachers and happenings to an openess.

I am sad to read this blog and that Todd is not preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ at his events and that it seems that he's only speaking about his own divine revelations and works. I'm also concerned about stories of his violence.

Anyways, I'm basically writing cause I'm going to go see him in LA later this month and see for myself. I'll probably give you an update and my point of view, which will hopefully be a little less bias than this one.

The most important thing is that God is glorified through all and above all.

Seeking Truth and God's Power,

Jennifer

2008/7/13 23:37Profile
FireinmyBones1

Michigan

Re:

Regardless of your opinion of Lakeland and/or Todd Bentley, I think it would be hard for any true believer to "bear witness" IN THE SPIRIT with the supposed "report". You may bear witness with your natural man and your carnal senses, however, the letter reeked of a worldly, sarcastic journalistic style. The writer wrote skillfully and with great precision, however, the spirit coming from the letter was not helping it at all. I would find it very hard to believe that anyone would be convinced to "leave the dark side" (...my words...) by reading this. If we confront what we feel to be error or heresy it needs to be in love. And no love is not an exposure of wrongdoings only. There is a softness and a humility attached to loving rebukes. The example of Jesus' dununciation of the pharisee's and sudducee's does not apply in this situation. The reason being that the tactics of the critics bare a closer resemblence to the pharisees than the critiqued. This is just one man's humble opinion, and I mean no offense by it again. If the brother who wrote the article in question reads this, please don't take this as a rebuke to you, for that is not at all the tone in which I'm writing it. Just stating my opinion and trying to help...God bless!
Jeff

2008/7/14 0:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy