SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The old man, the new man

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
DirkW

Netherlands

The old man, the new man

How do you put off the old man and put on the new man?
Can anyone explain that clearly to me?

And say we have got feelings (fear for example) in our life (body/mind) , there are lies. How do we put them away so they won't bother us anymore? How can I biblically do this?

2008/7/5 14:20Profile

Re: The old man, the new man

Go to

http://www.victoryoversin.com/carradine/oldman.htm

I know this may be long but it has some good information on the questions you ask

2008/7/5 14:39
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

"Knowing this, that our old man IS crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin." (Romans 6:6)

Reckoning ourselves to have died with Christ, and that our old man IS dead, is the only way to overcome sin. Sin no longer has dominion over you, but it acts like it still does, and we fall for sin when we believe it, and not God.

Blessings,
-Eli

2008/7/5 17:48Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:
And say we have got feelings (fear for example) in our life (body/mind) , there are lies. How do we put them away so they won't bother us anymore? How can I biblically do this?

Remember that since the garden of Eden, one of Satan's tactics is to get us to doubt God's word. Sin is still there and given the opportunity will overpower us. But God deals with this by not only removing sin but by removing the sinner. The old master is still about but the slave that served him has been put to death.

Therefore "deliverance from sin" is probably a more accurate term than "victory over sin". Romans 6:7 implies a deliverance from a power that is still real and present. So it becomes a question of which set of facts you're going to live by, the tangible facts of what you "see" or the mightier facts of God's word that we are now "in Christ". My experience doesn't change the divine facts of God's word and Satan's attack is always on our assurance of His word. We walk by faith not by sight (2 Cor 5:7).

In Christ,

Ron

2008/7/5 21:33Profile

Quote:

DirkW wrote:
How do you put off the old man and put on the new man?
Can anyone explain that clearly to me?

I have been reading through a book called "Justification and Regeneration" by Charles Leiter , the forward was written by Paul Washer. I found the book on [url=http://www.heartcrymissionary.com/]HeartCry Missionary Society[/url]. It is a different interpretation on Romans 6 and 7. Typically we understand chapter seven to be about the believers struggle with sin. However the books understanding is that it is not about the believer, it is about different different personalities. If you are curious you can listen to the sermon series on [url=http://www.puritanfellowship.com/]Puritan Fellowship[/url].

I am not convinced about this interpretation yet. However one thing that did stick out at me is to get the believer to understand his position in Christ. Its the reality that we are dead and have been risen to new life. My understanding is that we focus to much on our wretchedness, not in the glories of Jesus Christ. Romans 6 makes this clear..."...walk in newness of life.", "knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him...", "consider yourselves dead to sin..." I don't believe Paul is telling us to focus our minds to be this way, like some self help motivator. I do believe we need to understand these things and apply to our heart, so that we will walk in the spirit.
Eph. 1:18 "I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints."

One think I know is that I haven't got to a deeper understanding of this. I do know that I often pray that God will show me my depravity so that I may cling to Him. But, I realized through reading this book, this prayer was commented on, why do pray that style, but not ask the Lord to show us the newness in Him? Show us His life. Show us who we are in Him. I often thought if I could understand my sinful nature I can better understand Him! However it would make me more depressed, seeing my sinful nature. It was eye opening for me to pray the opposite way.

I don't mean to turn this thread into a discussion on this book. But I thought it would be helpful with the questions you might have.

Read Colossians 3

Hang in there brother, seek Him.
Reformer

2008/7/6 8:37
roadsign

Re:Getting to the core of the meaning of salvation

Dirk, I believe that you have asked the most important question one could ever ask relating to the essence of what it means to be a Christian. It seems like the answer has all too often been hopelessly illusive. It got either entangled in a “works” philosophy heavily dosed with religiosity, or it got obscured in a web of theological jargon that leaves you scratching your head in bewilderment, wondering, “What did Jesus really mean by “My yoke is easy…. Come as a little child…? What is the new life?” You wonder, Why do simple truths get so utterly complex and illusive!

It took me years to discover the simplicity of Christ’s offer of rest and the joy of living in the power of the Spirit. (and it is still a daily battle) First I had to become aware of just how much I was depending on myself (the old man), and repent of that That was a long process of change. I also had to unravel the simple Biblical gems from the knotted masses in my understanding. And that took time. Really, I give God the praise for that. I could never have figured it out on my own. It was a work of the Spirit – in conjunction with a lot of indepth personal Biblical study and the hard knocks of life.

Others have undergone similar processes as me, and a few have written helpful books – based on their own spiritual journey. They help us get passed the obstacles. Praise God!

Here is one book I believe that has helped many see the biblical truths with more clarity:
“The Pressure’s Off by Larry Crabb. This is no easy believism philosophy (one of the many knots in the web.) Crabb explains the difference between living by works and grace in a way that hits home especially for many who have grown up in the church environment. l have offered the book to various people who were in a similar spiritual quagmire that I had experienced. You can order it on Amazon.com.

Now I share all that, but God may emply some very different ways in your life. Regardless of the means, it has become my understanding that when we get down to the core of good doctrine and internalize it, than the specific issues of life will tend to take care of themselves – ex fear, besetting sin, and so forth.

Based on my own personal experience, I might add that if you free yourself from the need for instant and tidy answers, and the need to have everything get fixed right away you will appreciate the ride better. For the sake of eternity, it’s worth it, is it not!

Blessings,
Diane

2008/7/6 18:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy