SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Proverbs 18:24

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
5nva

Proverbs 18:24

I am curious on what some others know about this scripture. I thought that maybe some of you who have a little more experience with the manuscripts and translations could share some insight.

The scrpiture is Proverbs 18:24 and it's the first portion that I am questioning. The KJV and the NASB (which I use mostly) are very different. I use both translations for reading and studying and when I looked at this scripture and checked out the Hebrew it seems like the NASB is a more accurate translation.

KJV - A man that has friends must show himself friendly.

NASB - A man of too many friends comes to ruin.

Both translations have a reality and real truth to them but the NASB seems to fit better with what I ahve found in the Hebrew.

Does anyone have any insight to this.

Thanks,
Mike

2008/7/3 14:32Profile
rbanks

Re: Proverbs 18:24

How can you have too many real friends?

However, we must be friendly if we want any friends.

Jesus is a friend that sticks closer than a brother.

2008/7/3 14:38Profile
5nva

Re:

I understand your statement about having too many friends. However, I feel that is just an opinion and from my experience when a person has too many friends there is a greater risk that some of them may not be true believers and they will be open to compromise. That is why I'm thinking that the NASB has it right here.

Mike

2008/7/3 14:42Profile
rbanks

Re:

Quote:

5nva wrote:
I understand your statement about having too many friends. However, I feel that is just an opinion and from my experience when a person has too many friends there is a greater risk that some of them may not be true believers and they will be open to compromise. That is why I'm thinking that the NASB has it right here.

Mike

Maybe a good point!

But here is something to think about.

I always interpret scripture in context of what is stated before and after.

If the NASB here, is to be taken over the KJV then it is the only portion in serveral verses where a negative is thrown in. I mean even the later part of the verse is positive.

I believe the whole purpose here is positive, about what is needed, not a slap in the face about having to much of something, but the need.

Notice he ends the verse with; and there is a friend...

The verses before and after and the whole verse.

The bible should never be about what we want to hear whether right or wrong, but what is he saying to us here in context.

Just my thoughts and I believe we both have the spirit of God.

2008/7/3 15:16Profile
5nva

Re:

rbanks:

I don't see scripture that gives warning as negative. I also see the part as there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother to be speaking of Jesus. That is the encouragement of not having many friends because we have Jesus Christ as our Friend.

My questioning is coming from what the Hebrew is for the part that says "must shew himself friendly". Below is the Hebrew for that portion. When you look at the Hebrew for this scripture I can see why the NASB is different. Also it says this in the footnotes of the NKJV. "Following Greek manuscripts, Syriac, Targum, and Vulgate; Masoretic Text reads may come to ruin.

1) to be bad, be evil

a) (Qal)

1) to be displeasing

2) to be sad

3) to be injurious, be evil

4) to be wicked, be evil (ethically)

b) (Hiphil)

1) to do an injury or hurt

2) to do evil or wickedly

3) mischief (participle)

2) to break, shatter

a) (Qal)

1) to break

2) broken (participle)

3) to be broken

b) (Hithpolel) to be broken, be broken in pieces, be broken asunder

2008/7/3 16:17Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

John 15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

Friends are good and positive and of great help in time of need, but there is one Friend that is better than a brother, Jesus Christ.

That Friend is more important that a multitude of Friends. That is what I believe the KJV is speaking of. Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Commentary
Proverbs 18:24
      24. A man . . . friendly--better, "A man . . . (is) to, or, may triumph (Ps 108:9), or, shout for joy (Ps 5:11), that is, may congratulate himself." Indeed, there is a Friend who is better than a brother; such is the "Friend of sinners" [Mt 11:19; Lu 7:34]

Like these scriptures The Friend that is closer that a brother is the One we should make all friends to see in us first, Him being the reason we are friendly in Christ.

Mt 10:39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.
Mt 16:25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
Mt 19:29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

Proverbs 18:24 A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.

In Christ: Phillip

2008/7/3 18:07Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy