Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Psalm 23: Everyday Living

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Psalm 23: Everyday Living

A Brief Introduction

Psalm 23 is perhaps one of the greatest pieces of literature that has ever been written. Indeed, there are few passages of Scripture that can even begin to compare with the simplicity of thought, or beauty of the language invoked by its author. For sure, it is a psalm without equal within the entirety of the book of Psalms. Indeed, I personally like to think of Psalm 23 as the Psalm of Psalms.

From a preachers perspective, Psalm 23 is probably one of the most terrible passages of Scripture that one could ever preach from. Personally speaking, I cannot say I have heard many great sermons on this psalm. And such probably doesn't arise from the incompetency of the preacher who dared preach from this text. Rather, this psalm is just so majestic that it makes many a men look rather small. Furthermore, when compared to the majesty of the One with whom this psalm is about, the preacher begins to realize (as does his audience) just what a dwarf of a man he really is.

We must also mention something of the author of Psalm 23. The inscription associated with Psalm 23 tells us that it is a psalm of David. Within this psalm we get a glimpse into the life of a man whom God said was a man after His own heart. And it is with life that this psalm is concerned about. Great injustice is done by people who think of this psalm as something to merely read by the bedside of somebody who is sick or simply going through a hard time. Greater injustice is done to this psalm when it is merely read alongside somebody at their grave site. Far from being a funeral psalm, Psalm 23 contains a revelation that David had of the Lord who is intimately involved in every step of his life. From the green grass, to the still waters, to the cup that overflows... this psalm is about life. Namely, a life that is Davidic through and through.

It is with much interest then, that we must peer into Psalm 23 and examine its contents. For in this psalm without equal, we peer into the life of a man without equal, and how he relates to the God whom is without equal.

Exposition

"The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want." (v.1)

From the beginning, there are two characteristics we can immediately notice about this psalm. First, it is a confessional psalm. That is, David is declaring the things that the Lord is to him, and what He has done in his own life. It is his own personal testimony. Secondly, David's confession of what the Lord is to him is drawn out of experiencing the living reality of what he confesses. When David says the Lord is his Shepherd, he isn't simply making some lofty yet empty theological claim. Rather, it is a confession of something that he sees as an ongoing and abiding experience. There is a reality behind it all. It is a revelation David has had about who the Lord is in light of what His personal dealings with David.

Immediately in this verse we notice there is a connection between lordship and shepherding. That is, because the Lord is master of David's life, He is also therefore the one that takes care of David. The two positions, Lord and Shepherd, cannot be divorced from each other. Indeed, if a sheep is stubborn and will not give his life over to the direction of his shepherd, he will soon find himself wandering from the flock, isolated, and preyed upon with nobody to take care of him. Many Christians are like that. They want to trust Jesus as Savior, yet do not want to give themselves over to Him as Lord. Yet we see David was not such a man, as he recognized and confessed both things as true.

As a result of his confession that the Lord was his Shepherd, David expressed confidence that he would not want. This is not a name-it-claim-it type confession like you have in many Word of Faith circles today. Rather, this confession is an expression of confidence in who the Lord is, and His divine character. As Lord, He is sovereign and in control. As Shepherd, He is intimately concerned about me. Therefore, David expressed great confidence that the Lord was able, and would actually take care of him. May we have such a trust!

"He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul;..." (vv.2-3a)

The imagery here continues on with the shepherd theme from verse 1. Here David recognizes that the Lord directs him in all his wanderings. His confession is that he doesn't have to go wandering around aimlessly to find the things his soul longs for. Rather, David's confession is that the Lord has long since met those needs. Instead of having a soul that is constantly itching to find the latest and greatest spiritual fad, David confesses God has already brought him to the place of abundance. Indeed, far from having a, "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence" mentality, David is confessing that wherever he is in life, the very place that he is standing, that is the place where the grass is greenest, for that is the place to where the Lord has led him thus far.

Thus, the Christian need not wander from church to church, or revival meeting to revival meeting, constantly in search of some new source of blessing. For wherever you are, that is the place where the Lord has chosen to lead you in order to bless you. The church hopping practices of many professing Christians today I believe can be traced to a lack of simply trusting the Lord as their Shepherd. For if they truly did, then they would understand that the place they are presently at is the place that the Lord has directed them to. For if you are truly looking to the Lord to take care of you and your needs, then your reliance upon man to give you the spiritual fix you are desiring will fade away.

"...He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake." (v. 3b)

The point of all our wanderings (holy wanderings at that), David says, is ultimately for His name's sake. Such is the ultimate "purpose" that should drive our lives. It's not about us, it's all about Him. His purpose ought to be our purpose. For at stake here is God's name, which is the very representation of His character. For when God's name is magnified and exalted, men gain a glimpse into exactly who God is. Therefore, whatever we may go through in life, such ultimately is for the purpose of demonstrating who God is to this lost and dying world. And such a demonstration can only be made as we walk the paths of righteousness.

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me." (v. 4)

This verse is almost always used to comfort those who are going through difficult times, especially in the contexts of a funeral. However, as I said in the introduction to Psalm 23, we have to remember that this psalm is a psalm about living, not dying. Indeed, while one can use this psalm in the hospital or at the grave site, I must note again the nature of this psalm is confessional and relates to life. And here David is confessing a present ongoing reality. Here David doesn't say "whenever I walk..." rather he says "even though I walk..." That is, David looks at all of life in this way, as a walk through the valley of the shadow of death.

It is here, in our walk through the valley of the shadow of death, in this life, that we must especially learn to trust our Shepherd. For one potentially fatal characteristic of sheep is their poor eye site. Even though they can see up to nearly 260 degrees with their eyes, the depth and clarity of their vision is very poor. Such becomes even more problematic when walking through a dark valley. For who knows what danger lurks in the darkest corners of that valley?

Interestingly enough, while sheep lack clarity and depth of vision, they have an acute sense of hearing. The ears of a sheep are so finely tuned that they are able to distinguish each others unique bleating sounds. Now, if sheep can distinguish the voice of one sheep from another, how much more do you think they can identify their masters voice? Is it no wonder then, that Christ said in John 10 that His sheep know His voice, and another they simply will not follow? He said He calls them each by name, and leads them as they respond to His voice.

It is the nearness of God that David takes comfort in as he makes his way through the valley of the shadow of death. Because His shepherd is nearby, David finds comfort and security in the midst of darkness. God is with him! And so long as David remains within the reach of his Shepherd's rod and staff, he has no reason to fear. As one brother pointed out to me, it is interesting that David finds "comfort" from something as hard and unforgiving as a rod and staff. One does not tend to associate comfort with something hard that constantly pokes and prods you along the sides. Now, what is that rod and staff that comforts David? Would it not be anything less than God's very word?

"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows." (v. 5)

Here the Shepherd metaphor that dominates this psalm comes to an abrupt end. Now David moves from pastoral imagery to that of a man enjoying a banquet as an honored guest. Even though, as we shall shortly see, have moved on from the Shepherd metaphor, the theological theme David is reflecting upon is still the same.

Here David dines at a lavishly prepared table that is marked by the cup that isn't just full, but overflowing. Yet, like the walk through the valley of the shadow of death, David is perfectly at peace, and altogether not troubled by ever present danger. Instead of being crippled in fear, David is abounding in peace and joy. David is not preoccupied with his troubles, rather, he is busy counting his blessings.

Yet, think of all the troubles David faced in his life, where eating in the presence of his enemies wasn't a mere metaphor, but a reality. T hink of how he dined with king Saul, who was constantly out to get him, even attempting to spear him on a couple occasions. Or consider David's son, "the young man Absalom," who regularly ate at his fathers table. Yet it was not long before Absalom would attempt a coupd’état, attempting to steal the kingdom right from underneath his father's nose. Or think even of our Lord Jesus Christ, who regularly sat at the dinner table with Judas Iscariot, the very man who would betray Him. Yet, in a manner that is entirely Davidic, these troubles did not rob them of their peace or their joy. They were still able to enjoy the blessings of God.

Why was David and Jesus able to do this? As David points out in this psalm, it entirely is because of the Lord's anointing. To anoint somebody before a meal was to bestow upon them great honor. They are the honored guest of the banquet. God has chosen them! Thus, while aware of the present troubles, they recognize the Lord is with them through it all. In fact, the tricky situation they presently are in is of the Lord. "You prepare a table..." David says. In other words, whatever situation one is in is recognized as having been prepared by the Lord Himself. For God is sovereign and God is in control.

It is amazing though, how quickly we panic and lose sight of these things when hard times come our way. The stock market falls out, gas prices soar, and war is ever threatening. Somebody is out to get our job, destroy our home, and take our ministry away! In such times we pout, we mummer, and we complain. Yet, if we were thoroughly Davidic in our mindset, this would not be the case. Indeed, to the degree we get depressed in such circumstances shows us to the degree we are not Davidic! Additionally, the degree to which we gripe and complain about our trouble is the degree to which we rob God of His sovereignty. David would have us to remember that no matter what our circumstances are, God is in control, God has ordained the situation, and God has selected you! Therefore, enjoy what the Lord has prepared for you, and eat it with gladness of heart.

"Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life..." (v. 6a)

"Surely!" David exclaims. As if he could expect nothing other than these things to follow him wherever he went. As a perfume leave's behind its scent even after a person leaves the room, so David expects goodness and lovingkindness to leave a trail where ever he travels. Indeed, how could it not? Having been anointed with the oil of gladness above all his fellows, and rejoicing in the midst of tribulation, how could one not but leave an unforgettable impression on the memory of those who saw him in the midst of those trials? Here is a man who ate his dinner in the very midst of his enemies! He didn't sit around, being unable to eat, thinking "Absalom is out to get me... Absalom is out to get me..." Rather, he simply dove on in and slopped everything up! Such is entirely otherwordly. And people remember when they see otherwordly men who bear such fruit. Such men are Davidic.

"...and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever." (v. 6b)

This is David's final confession in this psalm. He has a made up and resolved mind: He will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Such is a continuation of the otherwordly ways of David. And being that David is continuing on in his otherworldly expressions, I don't think he has in mind here the tabernacle of Moses. Rather, it is much more keeping that here, he is thinking about the heavenly tabernacle, the one made without human hands. Many people cheapen the lives of Old Testament saints, and treat them as if they were unsaved and spiritually dead, or at best, people who were familiar only with external regulations, types, and shadows. However, here we see that David resolves to be continually heavenly minded. He wants to walk about, as my pastor would say, "with his head in heaven's floor." Have you such a mindset, or does this "Old Testament saint" have you beat?

2008/7/3 0:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy