SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Jesus Rebuked People and So Can I...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
wta

Canadian in America (Bremerton, WA) "A stranger in a strange land..."

Jesus Rebuked People and So Can I...

I wanted to get a general consensus on this idea... I've heard WAY too many people quote Jesus, Peter, Paul, John the Baptist and so on and say that they rebuked people who were in error with unkind, unloving words and so can I, it's scriptural! What do you think? Does this sound logical or do you think that something is missing from the equation.
Jesus called the Pharisees "white washed tombs and a brood of vipers" so I can tell religious leaders the same? My issue is that Jesus loved the Pharisees so much that he not only died for them but on the cross prayed our Father to forgive them. Are people today who are publically targeting professing Christians even REALLY loving with Christ's love the people they are targeting? The rebuttel is "we love God and the sheep so we are justified in saying unkind, unloving things."
Something scripture DOESN'T address in the attitude, emotions and spirit behind these mighty men of God when they stood up and called someone on the carpet. It doesn't say how, as they were rebuking a person, they at the same time where overcome with compassion for that person. I am supposed to believe the Jesus had a nasty, nose snarling, teeth grinding bitterness as we see many with as they "address their brother's sin". I wonder how many times Jesus had tears in His eyes when He rebuked someone? I've just notice so many quoting these biblical "references" and using them as platforms and soapboxes to say terrible, mean spirited things about people and my heart is really breaking.
I've also found that many in places of "authority" are actually teaching others that this style of communicating is "biblical" and expected from someone who is a "prophet" or "watchman". The part that really sends up red flags is that these people aren't actually "going" to the person to rebuke them, they are just publically saying it to "protect" the sheep and know full well that the person who is the butt of the rebuke will never even find out from this so called (usually self appointed) "prophet" or "watchman". Is something amiss?
I believe that we must be ready to suffer and die for someone to bring correction to them and I feel that is the Spirit of God's take.

Mat 7:1 "Do not judge so that you will not be judged.
Mat 7:2 "For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.
Mat 7:3 "Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?
Mat 7:4 "Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye?
Mat 7:5 "You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

The log is not out of our eye until we are willing to love God, our brother/neighbor, the lost and our enemies with a love that will suffer and die to help the person we're trying to remove the speck from their eye.

Thoughts?

All for souls,

wta

2008/6/30 1:39Profile
BrianPaul

Moorpark, CA

Re: Jesus Rebuked People and So Can I...

Its interesting to hear that you say you hear way too many people use certain passages of scripture to rail people for their sin. It seems at my church people dont rail people for sin enough. Anyway thats beside the point. I totally understand what you are saying. Also i do know there is a time and place for blasting a brother over his sin, and a time to have mercy on those who need it. We must use discernment here. Law to the proud, grace to the humble. Just curious, the church you go to, are they more hell firey or mercy driven when it comes to preaching. Just a personal thought i wonder if your church is more hell firey, people may not understand the difference when preaching and talking with people one on one. When talking to people you dont usually talking to them in the form of "Sinners in the Hands of An Angry God", you tend to be more compassionate.

Also one last point. I noticed the passage you mentioned at the bottom of the post. Just wanted to add though that the bible does call us to judge with righteous judgment.

2008/6/30 3:13Profile
dohzman

Pro 9:8 Reprove not a scoffer, lest he hate thee: Reprove a wise man, and he will love thee.
Pro 13:1 A wise son heareth his father's instruction; But a scoffer heareth not rebuke.

The real question is whether or not you know the person you desire to correct well enough to discern thier character, or else you're really being just like one who casts his pearls before swine.

2008/6/30 9:31Profile

If you cant rebuke someone with love in your heart... you have no business rebuking them at all.

Love should always be our motivator in anything we do. Now, does that mean we should always be sweet and kind and non-offensive? No. If I see my son about to get clobbered by a bear in our backyard I'm gonna be yelling to get his attention to the situation. Sometimes a rebuke comes with strong words. But in our feminized world today, where everyone is offended at everything, and we're all supposed to be politically correct and full of warm fuzzies... the Truth offends no matter how you say it.

The purpose of a rebuke is two-fold. At times the rebuke of a brother is for the brother alone... so that he will turn from his error and follow correctly. The other purpose is, at times, to protect and warn other believers... even to the point of using that brother as an example to others of what can happen.

If you rebuke someone because you have to be right, and it's a competition or a sport (a trap many of us have fallen into on this forum from time to time... myself included) ... then that is prideful and full of sin.

Krispy

2008/6/30 10:00
Psalm73

Arkansas

Re:

Ezekiel was called to warn the ungodly, the wicked of his ungodliness that he might turn from his wickedness and be righteous. The only way you are going to warn them, is to rebuke them by using the scripture. Know the scripture, compare the versions, see who is corrupt and who is holy.
The William Tyndale 1526 (Reformation) New Testament is clearly the text to rebuke all of sin. For it is said in Romans 3, let God be true and all men liars, and there is no righteous, no not one.
You really need to be rebuked of your ungodliness, if you want to be holy like Jesus Christ is. O generation of vipers, how can ye say well, when ye yourselves are evil?
Now those that rebuke will be rebuked by the adversaries themselves. Read David in the Matthew's BIble.
Proverbs 24:23 (1537 Matthew's Bible)¶ These are also the sayings of the wise. It is not good to have respect of any person in judgment.
24 He that sayeth unto the ungodly: Thou art righteous, him shall the people curse, yea the comity shall abhor him.
25 But they that rebuke the ungodly shall be commended, and a rich blessing shall come upon them.
26 He maketh himself to be well loved, that giveth a good answer

2008/6/30 12:08Profile
elanham

Maryland

wta

Just because you see a deficiancy in the life of another is not the green light to address that deficiancy. There is a certain soulish rush that comes when 'rebuking' someone. This can become addictive as you begin too see yourself as Gods committed agent to 'straighten' people out. Many who do this deem themselves as being spiritual yet they only succeed in demonstrating how unspiritual they are.

Consider Jesus' words to the pharisees. He said, "I have many things to say to you, but I will only speak that which the Father speaks". In other words Jesus could look into the hearts of the Pharisees and see all the corruption. He could have easily pinpointed and dealt with the issues that He saw, yet His goal was not to correct, rebuke or any such thing. It was to do the thing that would ultimately redound to the Glory of God, whether that was to rebuke which He certainly did at times or just be silent which He also did. I along with Krispy have been guilty of this giving of correction that is not founded on the ultimate goal of Gods Glory. So many correct but their correction comes without tears and without the pain that is inherent to a heart that is joined to the heart of the King who Himself is a man of sorrows.

I encourage you to look to the garden of your own heart. Their you will find enough little foxes that would spoil the vineyard of utter committment to Christ. When you have conquered those foxes then you will be able to see clearlyl to help your brother. Simply applying scripture to a problem can be as futile as trying to get the attention of a deaf man by screaming as loud as you can.

You need to endeavor to speak Gods council. And you will not get Gods council for another until you obey His council for your own life.

The endtime purposes of God can easily be frustrated by our zeal to bring correction that does not flow out of the Life and Heart of God.

Grace, Grace to you.

2008/6/30 12:25Profile

Re:

Quote:
Just because you see a deficiancy in the life of another is not the green light to address that deficiancy.

Absolutely... it's one thing to bring the truth to the unsaved. But when correcting a brother, 9 times out of 10 you need to earn that right. Otherwise it will not be accepted.

Krispy

2008/6/30 12:56
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: godly rebuttal

I have just recently rebutted 2 younger brothers. I did that after consideration and prayer. I knew they had a humble heart and could take it and thanked me for it.

I am always thankful for brothers who have the guts to rebutt me. I need this to be kept in check. We have to watch over each other. A godly rebuttal in most cases gives a good opportunity for maturity and love. Blessed is the brother who can take it and does not get offended.

There are rebuttals that are mean spirited or only half true. It takes even more humility and maturity to glean the truth out of it and take it in. Not many saints have the capacity for that.

narrowpath

2008/6/30 13:01Profile
death2self

Washington DC area

Re:

Quote:
Just because you see a deficiancy in the life of another is not the green light to address that deficiancy. There is a certain soulish rush that comes when 'rebuking' someone. This can become addictive as you begin too see yourself as Gods committed agent to 'straighten' people out. Many who do this deem themselves as being spiritual yet they only succeed in demonstrating how unspiritual they are.

Amen. It's important to test the spirit before one responds because if it's done in the flesh, then it will amount to nothing. If it's a rebuke at the direction of the spirit, then the person has to make a choice whether to (a) repent or (b) get angry.

I'm blessed to have pastors and brothers and sisters who are willing to confront me at the call of the Holy Spirit and are not defensive when confronted. I find that when I'm in a defensive it's generally because of self-protection.

Unfortunately maturing in Christ is an ugly process but the Holy Spirit is faithful to discipline us when we're wrong...

2008/6/30 13:23Profile
psalm1

wta wrote;
Jesus Rebuked People and So Can I...
I wanted to get a general consensus on this idea... I've heard WAY too many people quote Jesus, Peter, Paul, John the Baptist and so on and say that they rebuked people who were in error with unkind, unloving words and so can I, it's scriptural! What do you think? Does this sound logical or do you think that something is missing from the equation.
Jesus called the Pharisees "white washed tombs and a brood of vipers" so I can tell religious leaders the same? My issue is that Jesus loved the Pharisees so much that he not only died for them but on the cross prayed our Father to forgive them. Are people today who are publically targeting professing Christians even REALLY loving with Christ's love the people they are targeting? The rebuttel is "we love God and the sheep so we are justified in saying unkind, unloving things."
Something scripture DOESN'T address in the attitude, emotions and spirit behind these mighty men of God when they stood up and called someone on the carpet. It doesn't say how, as they were rebuking a person, they at the same time where overcome with compassion for that person. I am supposed to believe the Jesus had a nasty, nose snarling, teeth grinding bitterness as we see many with as they "address their brother's sin". I wonder how many times Jesus had tears in His eyes when He rebuked someone? I've just notice so many quoting these biblical "references" and using them as platforms and soapboxes to say terrible, mean spirited things about people and my heart is really breaking.
I've also found that many in places of "authority" are actually teaching others that this style of communicating is "biblical" and expected from someone who is a "prophet" or "watchman". The part that really sends up red flags is that these people aren't actually "going" to the person to rebuke them, they are just publically saying it to "protect" the sheep and know full well that the person who is the butt of the rebuke will never even find out from this so called (usually self appointed) "prophet" or "watchman". Is something amiss?
I believe that we must be ready to suffer and die for someone to bring correction to them and I feel that is the Spirit of God's take.

Mat 7:1 "Do not judge so that you will not be judged.
Mat 7:2 "For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.
Mat 7:3 "Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?
Mat 7:4 "Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye?
Mat 7:5 "You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

The log is not out of our eye until we are willing to love God, our brother/neighbor, the lost and our enemies with a love that will suffer and die to help the person we're trying to remove the speck from their eye.

Thoughts?

All for souls,

wta

Truly a beautiful word in season!.......David

2008/6/30 17:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy