See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : New Apostles

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
rowdy2

Southern USA

New Apostles

To be an Apostles you had to have been with our Lord from the beginning of His ministry and to have been present when our Lord revealed Himself to His Apostles after His resurrection.
You had to testify that the death, burial and resurrection of The Son of God are true and be condemned to die a martyrs death rather than deny our Lords resurrection.

A foundation is laid in the beginning and the teaching and the revelation of our Father by our Christ Jesus to Apostles and the Prophets were the foundational rocks of the Gospel with Christ Jesus being the Chief Corner Stone.

If anyone tries to lay a new foundation let him be accursed.

Eddie

2008/6/22 7:17Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: New Apostles

To be an Apostles you had to have been with our Lord from the beginning of His ministry and to have been present when our Lord revealed Himself to His Apostles after His resurrection.

That was a qualification to have been one of the 12 apostles. But what of the apostles Paul, Barnabas, Timothy, Silus/Silvanus, Adronicus, Junias, Apollos, and James the Lord's brother? None of them were thus qualified, yet, the Lord continued to raise up apostles even after the 12.

While what you say is partially true regarding the purpose of apostolic ministry, the apostle Paul himself offers a better purpose for the ministry of an apostle, which extends past the first century...

Ephesians 4:11
And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers,

4:12
for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ;

4:13
until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.

Apostles (along with other ministries) are given for the basic purpose of equipping the body of Christ (vv. 11-12) until we all attain to a corporate maturity. Since we have yet all to attain to this corporate maturity, the ministry of apostle has continued. It will continue UNTIL we attain this.

2008/6/22 8:29Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Re:

Reply to KingJimmy

I agree that our Lord revealed Himself to Paul and made Paul and not Matthias or any other man the Apostle to the gentiles And last of all he was seen of Paul also, as of [color=CC0000]one born out of due time.[/color]The added color is to point to the part I based my post on and my understanding on.

Respectfully, Eddie

2008/6/22 11:47Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I agree that our Lord revealed Himself to Paul and made Paul and not Matthias or any other man the Apostle to the gentiles And last of all he was seen of Paul also, as of one born out of due time.The added color is to point to the part I based my post on and my understanding on.

My point is Paul was but one of at least a dozen other apostles named in Scripture. The uniqueness of his apostolic ministry which served as the spearhead of world missions, as great as that is, doesn't change the fact that there were other apostles outside of the twelve and him.

Indeed, God continues to raise up apostles even in our own generation, and will continue to do so until the body of Christ attains to the fullness of the stature of Christ. We simply term these apostles as "missionaries." In fact, the word "missionary" has its linguistic roots in the word "apostle." But for whatever reason, we prefer the word "missionary," though the Scriptures never use this phrase. Yet we continue to affirm the calling of many as a missionary. And why do we do this in spite of there being no Scriptural support for the ministry of a "missionary?" Because when it all boils down to it, whatever title we may slap on them, we recognize these men and women who are called of God as walking in the modern day apostolic calling.

2008/6/22 22:37Profile
wta

Canadian in America (Bremerton, WA) "A stranger in a strange land..."

Re:

No question, a close study of church history shows there have been many with the gift of apostle including other biblical names mentioned such as Barnabas, Silas, Timothy, Titus, ect... Many more early church fathers were also apostles but all of them submitted to Mat 23 8-10 commands that we are all brothers and not to take titles so because of apostolic humility they present themselves as bond slaves or brothers...
Here is a link to the letters that weren't canonized but are still know as authentic early church leaders' letters...

http://www.ccel.org/fathers.html

The following is proof text that we still to this day are having the Lord add to the body apostles as I'm sure we all agree that the follow has not been fulfilled yet...

Eph 4:11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers,
Eph 4:12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ,
Eph 4:13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ;
Eph 4:14 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting,
Eph 4:15 but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ—
Eph 4:16 from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.

All for souls,

wta

2008/6/22 22:47Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Re:

Romans
17-18
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.

I believe what is clearly stated, they all have heard.

Eddie

2008/6/23 10:45Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

The New Testament speaks of 21 apostles: Matthais, Paul, Barnabas, Apollos, Andronicus, Justus.. "they were cheif amongst the apostles.."

Hippolytus one of the early church fathers lists 70 apostles:

[b]The 70 Apostles[/b]
[i]by Hippolytus[/i]

The Same Hippolytus on The Seventy Apostles.

James the Lord's brother, bishop of Jerusalem.
Cleopas, bishop of Jerusalem.
Matthias, who supplied the vacant place in the number of the twelve apostles.
Thaddeus, who conveyed the epistle to Augarus.
Ananias, who baptized Paul, and was bishop of Damascus.
Stephen, the first martyr.
Philip, who baptized the eunuch.
Prochorus, bishop of Nicomedia, who also was the first that departed, believing together with his daughters.
Nicanor died when Stephen was martyred.
Timon, bishop of Bostra.
Parmenas, bishop of Soli.
Nicolaus, bishop of Samaria.
Barnabas, bishop of Milan.

Mark the evangelist, bishop of Alexandria.
Luke the evangelist.
These two belonged to the seventy disciples who were scattered by the offence of the word which Christ spoke, "Except a man eat my flesh, and drink my blood, he is not worthy of me." But the one being induced to return to the Lord by Peter's instrumentality, and the other by Paul's, they were honored to preach that Gospel on account of which they also suffered martyrdom, the one being burned, and the other being crucified on an olive tree.

Silas, bishop of Corinth.
Silvanus, bishop of Thessalonica.
Crisces (Crescens), bishop of Carchedon in Gaul.
Epaenetus, bishop of Carthage.
Andronicus, bishop of Pannonia.
Amplias, bishop of Odyssus.
Urban, bishop of Macedonia.
Stachys, bishop of Byzantium.
Barnabas, bishop of Heraclea.
Phygellus, bishop of Ephesus. He was of the party also of Simon.
Hermogenes. He, too, was of the same mind with the former.
Demas, who also became a priest of idols.
Apelles, bishop of Smyrna.
Aristobulus, bishop of Britain.
Narcissus, bishop of Athens.
Herodion, bishop of Tarsus.
Agabus the prophet.
Rufus, bishop of Thebes.
Asyncritus, bishop of Hyrcania.
Phlegon, bishop of Marathon.
Hermes, bishop of Dalmatia.
Patrobulus, bishop of Puteoli.
Hermas, bishop of Philippi.
Linus, bishop of Rome.
Caius, bishop of Ephesus.
Philologus, bishop of Sinope.
Olympus and Rhodion were martyred in Rome.
Rhodion was martyred in Rome.
Lucius, bishop of Laodicea in Syria.
Jason, bishop of Tarsus.
Sosipater, bishop of Iconium.
Tertius, bishop of Iconium.
Erastus, bishop of Panellas.
Quartus, bishop of Berytus.
Apollo, bishop of Caesarea.
Cephas.
Sosthenes, bishop of Colophonia.
Tychicus, bishop of Colophonia.
Epaphroditus, bishop of Andriace.
Caesar, bishop of Dyrrachium.
Mark, cousin to Barnabas, bishop of Apollonia.
Justus, bishop of Eleutheropolis.
Artemas, bishop of Lystra.
Clement, bishop of Sardinia.
Onesiphorus, bishop of Corone.
Tychicus, bishop of Chalcedon.
Carpus, bishop of Berytus in Thrace.
Evodus, bishop of Antioch.
Aristarchus, bishop of Apamea.
Mark, who is also John, bishop of Bibloupolis.
Zenas, bishop of Diospolis.
Philemon, bishop of Gaza.
Aristarchus
Pudes
Trophimus, who was martyred along with Paul.

2008/6/23 12:35Profile
Logic

Re:

[b]Romans 16:7[/b] [color=990000]Greet Andronicus and Junia, my relatives who were in prison with me; they are prominent among the apostles, and they were in Christ before I was.[/color]
FYI, Junia was a woman also.

2008/6/23 14:45Profile
wta

Canadian in America (Bremerton, WA) "A stranger in a strange land..."

Re: New Apostles

Quote:

rowdy2 wrote:
You had to testify that the death, burial and resurrection of The Son of God are true and be condemned to die a martyrs death rather than deny our Lords resurrection.

A foundation is laid in the beginning and the teaching and the revelation of our Father by our Christ Jesus to Apostles and the Prophets were the foundational rocks of the Gospel with Christ Jesus being the Chief Corner Stone.

If anyone tries to lay a new foundation let him be accursed.

Eddie

When I first started studying scripture and read this the above verse I instantly concluded as you did rowdy2 because this verse on it's own logically seems to mean that this was the clear and defining definition for being an apostle. What I've learned though is that all scripture has to be balanced on a topic to define doctrine. Due to so many other verses we can see that the above verse is only applicable to replacing Judas's office and not for being a defining factor for all apostles.

All for souls,

wta

2008/6/23 16:14Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Re:

I find that I am still unswayed by your arguments.

I believe the Jesus the Chief Apostle and the twelve Apostles are the Foundational Rocks that Christ’s Church was built upon and we that precede them are builders.

1 Corinthians 3
10-23 KJV
According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon. For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble. Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are. Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness. And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain. Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are yours; Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours; And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's.

Eddie

2008/6/24 7:46Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy