SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : Charles G. Finney books recommendations ?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Alf

Miami, FL

Charles G. Finney books recommendations ?

What are "must read" Charles Finney books ?

thanks in advance !

2008/6/19 11:51Profile
Fuegodedios

Richmond, VA

Re: Charles G. Finney books recommendations ?

Power from on high.

2008/6/19 12:03Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: Charles G. Finney books recommendations ?

Hi Alf...

If I have understood correctly, Charles Finney only wrote one book. He personally penned his autobiographical memoirs, entitled [i][url=http://www.gospeltruth.net/1868Memoirs/memoirsindex.htm]MEMOIRS OF REVIVALS OF RELIGION
[/url][/i]. This is the only definitive manuscript ever completed by Finney. The rest of his "books" were actually compilations taken from sermons that Finney preached. As such, and due to the fallible nature of notetaking, the rest of these books should be taken with a "grain of salt."

Finney was reluctant to write in terms of both doctrine and testimony. In his memoirs, he explained this hesitation:

Quote:
I have spoken of myself as connected with these movements; but only as one of the many ministers and other servants of Christ, who have shared prominently in promoting them. I am aware that by a certain portion of the church I have been considered an innovator, both in regard to doctrine and measures; and that many have looked upon me as rather prominent, especially in assailing some of the old forms of theological thought and expression, and in stating the doctrines of the Gospel in many respects in new language.

I have been particularly importuned, for a number of years, by the friends of those revivals with which my name and labors have been connected, to write a history of them. As so much misapprehension has prevailed respecting them, it is thought that the truth of history demands a statement from myself of the doctrines that were preached, so far as I was concerned; of the measures used, and of the results of preaching those doctrines and the use of those measures.

My mind seems instinctively to recoil from saying so much of myself as I shall be obliged to do, if I speak honestly of those revivals and of my relation to them. For this reason I have declined, up to this time, to undertake such a work. Of late the trustees of Oberlin College have laid the matter before me, and urged me to undertake it. They, together with numerous other friends in this country and in England, have urged that it was due to the cause of Christ, that a better understanding should exist in the church than has hitherto existed, in regard especially to the revivals that occurred in central New York and elsewhere, from 1821 and onward for several years, because those revivals have been most misrepresented and opposed.

I approach the subject, I must say, with reluctance, for many reasons. I have kept no diary, and consequently must depend on my memory. It is true, that my memory is naturally very tenacious, and the events that I have witnessed in revivals of religion have made a very deep impression on my mind; and I remember, with great distinctness, many more than I shall have time to communicate. Everyone who has witnessed powerful revivals of religion is aware that many cases of conviction and conversion are daily occurring, of the greatest interest to the people in the midst of whom they occur. Where all the facts and circumstances are known, a thrilling effect is often produced; and such cases are frequently so numerous that if all the highly interesting facts of even one extended revival, in a single locality, should be narrated, it would fill a large volume.

I do not propose to pursue this course in what I am about to write. I shall only sketch such an outline as will, upon the whole, give a tolerably clear idea of the type which these revivals took on; and shall only relate a few of the particular instances of conversion which occurred in different places.

I shall also endeavor to give such an account of the doctrines which were preached, and of the measures which were used, and shall mention such facts, in general, as will enable the church hereafter, partially at least, to estimate the power and purity of those great works of God.

But I hesitate to write a narrative of those revivals, because I have often been surprised to find how much my own remembrance of facts differs from the recollection of other persons who were in the midst of those scenes. Of course I must state the facts as I remember them. A great many of those events have been often referred to by myself in preaching, as illustrative of the truths that I was presenting to the people. I have been so often reminded of them, and have so often referred to them in all the years of my ministry, that I cannot but have strong confidence that I remember them substantially as they occurred. If I shall in any case misstate the facts, or if in any case my recollections shall differ widely from those of others, I trust that the church will believe that my statements are in entire accordance with my present remembrance of those facts. I am now (1867-68) seventy-five years old. Of course, I remember things that transpired many years ago more definitely than those of recent occurrence. In regard to the doctrines preached, so far as I was concerned, and the means used to promote the revivals, I think I cannot be mistaken.

To give any intelligible account of the part which I was called to act in those scenes, it is necessary that I should give a little history of the manner in which I came to adopt the doctrinal views which I have long held and preached, and which have been regarded by many persons as objectionable.

I must commence by giving a very brief account of my birth, and early circumstances and education, my conversion to Christ, my study of theology, and my entering upon the work of the ministry. I am not about to write an autobiography, let it be remembered; and shall enter no farther into a relation of the events of my own private life than shall seem necessary to give an intelligible account of the manner in which I was led, in relation to these great movements of the church.

I would definitely recommend this book. It is extremely telling of the thoughts and attitude of Charles Finney in his own words.

:-)

2008/6/19 17:06Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Power from on high.

Amen. I have benefited from this small volume immensely.

Read the 1944 version online here:
http://www.gospeltruth.net/1944power_from_on_high/power.htm

2008/6/19 18:06Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

I suggest you read none of them.

If you want to read something regarding revival and godliness, read Jonathan Edwards instead.

2008/6/19 19:00Profile
Alf

Miami, FL

Re:

cool now i know what to look for, as for the not reading any of them and Johnathan Edwards instead, i will eventually get to all of Edwards books so its no biggie and most likely before finney's. But again, thanks for the heads up peeps. God bless.

2008/6/20 8:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy