SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine :  Not to be called Rabbi, Teacher and Father...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
BenBrockway

Re: Not to be called Rabbi, Teacher and Father...

I, too, feel strongly about the "labeling" issue. It breaks my heart to see so many people caught up in status and popularity. Not only is it becoming more evident in the world, with "Reality shows," but even amongst Christians. It's the "I've gotta be somebody" syndrome.

I constantly find myself in this same struggle. I grew up a pastor's kid. My childhood life was all about looking good, showing people that we are a family who has everything together, and putting on a fascade. When I got old enough to work, I was bound and determined to be the center of attention, somehow. I wanted to start a band, be a promoter, own a well-established promoting company, and so on.

Several years ago, the Lord got ahold me and I have since ceased to try and establish a "label" for myself.

Today, I still struggle, though, not just with my own past, but the fact that in order for me to shepherd people within a church (trying not put a label on the desire God has placed within me), I have to make a label for myself. I have to have a degree or in some cases a doctorate.

Why can't shepherding be based upon one's relationship with the Lord and the calling that has been placed upon that person's life?

It befuddles me that "the church" is strongly against it's congregation to seek worldy things, and yet the church itself does not pay attention to it's own God-given wisdom.

I still have much to learn, but it is these such things that boggle my mind.

Ben

2008/6/23 15:38Profile
wta

Canadian in America (Bremerton, WA) "A stranger in a strange land..."

Re:

Ben,

For me I have learned that I must walk as the Lord would have me, humble and submissive to all His commands. By doing, He will build His kingdom on/around what He has made me to be. That has ment that I can't working within the post modern church any longer as they refuse to submit to all His commands. So My wife and I are staying true to our convictions as people gifted to govern His people and it's been AMAZING how he has brough people into our lives that we now minister to. We are tentmakers like Paul and Barnabas but at the same time helping to raise up or equip His saints for the work of the ministry and at the same time being true to our convictions. I hope this testimony will as some level bring hope to your situation. One thing I know for sure, He is worthy to finsh all that He's started, amen?

All for souls,

wta

2008/6/23 17:02Profile
roadsign

Re:

There are two precious testimonies here that I feel should be bumped up.

wta said:

Quote:
So My wife and I are staying true to our convictions as people gifted to govern His people and it's been AMAZING how he has brought people into our lives that we now ministry to.

wta, may you find God’s blessing as you allow him to place you in his Body – both to minister and to be ministered to. In this way you can enjoy precious give-and-take relationships: when you are all on level ground.

And Ben:

Quote:
I constantly find myself in this same struggle. I grew up a pastor's kid. My childhood life was all about looking good, showing people that we are a family who has everything together, and putting on a fascade. When I got old enough to work, I was bound and determined to be the center of attemntion, somehow. I wanted to start a band, be a promoter, own a well-established promoting company, and so on.

You were merely practising what you were taught: that is, by example. This kind of story is all too common!

Quote:
Several years ago, the Lord got ahold me and I have since ceased to try and establish a "label" for myself.

Today, I still struggle, though, not just with my own past, but the fact that in order for me to shepherd people within a church (trying not put a label on the desire God has placed within me), I have to make a label for myself. I have to have a degree or in some cases a doctorate.

Deeply engrained false notions about roles do not seem to uproot instantly. If only! They remind me of root fragments that are left behind when the weed is pulled. It has become my belief that our ability to recognize such weaknesses can propel us towards the Lord. We see our constant need for his mercy.

Quote:
Why can't shepherding be based upon one's relationship with the Lord and the calling that has been placed upon that person's life?

It befuddles me that "the church" is strongly against it's congregation to seek worldy things, and yet the church itself does not pay attention to it's own God-given wisdom.

Once institutionalized wheels are in motion and these faulty views about roles are inbred, it’s hard to stop the monster. I am reminded of a train headed down the track. You can’t just stop one wheel and expect the machine to come to a halt. You have to stop all the wheels. Regarding the institutionalized church, I’d rather leave that to God. It’s too big to handle.

Quote:
I still have much to learn, but it is these such things that boggle my mind.

Me too!

Diane

2008/6/24 8:46Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Thank you WTA and Diane for your input and precious words of wisdom. :-D

2008/6/24 23:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy