SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : A New Testament Answer to not having Tatoos!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

A New Testament Answer to not having Tatoos!

I completly disagree with not having Tatoos, the reason it came up is that me and a friend were discussing Todd Bentley and as most people consider teh levitical laws as the old covenant and now that the new covenant is in.
So both me and him were trying to find anything from the new testament that specifically deals with Tatoos to refute the idea!

I do not want basic things like

1Co 6:19 - Show Context
Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?

I just want something to refute this idea from the new testament as it is wrong!

2008/6/10 8:18Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: A New Testament Answer to not having Tatoos!

Tatoos? Tatoos?

All the things that are taking place in this world right now, and you major on tatoos?

Oh well, any takers?

2008/6/10 8:23Profile
Mattie

Re:

I have personal convictions that having a tattoo is wrong. But I wouldn't label everyone that has a tattoo a wicked person. I think it's based on personal convictions (Romans 14). It's a disputable matter.

In response to the verse you used, Paul is talking about sexual immorality. His purpose in saying the body is a temple of the Spirit is to say we must not give our bodies over to sexual sin but remember that our bodies are members with Christ.

Many who are in disagreement with tattoos use the verse in Leviticus where it says not to put any markings or tattoos on your body. However, the verse after also says we are not to shave the sides of our head. Does that mean I can't get skin fades? I think alot of it has to do with context, similar to the issue of head coverings in Corinth.

2008/6/10 8:56Profile
Thommy2

Wisconsin

Re:

I would agree with Mattie. I would not get any more tatoos (I received 5 prior to salvation) but I wouldn't drill anyone and say they are fallen from grace or anything like that. I hope they do recognize that we most likely will not have any tats on the new earth though

2008/6/10 9:20Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:

I completly disagree with not having Tatoos, the reason it came up is that me and a friend were discussing Todd Bentley and as most people consider teh levitical laws as the old covenant and now that the new covenant is in.
So both me and him were trying to find anything from the new testament that specifically deals with Tatoos to refute the idea!

Todd Bentley, because of so many so called miracles is going to give a 'green light' to a lot of very questionable and even demonic practices to people searching for it. The bottom line is, "Why would a person want to cover their body with tattoos that have a demonic feel to them?" We need to realize that these were pagan practices in the Old Testament and that is why the law was in place. Would you want to willingly, post salvation experience, identify yourself with the enemies of God? Todd Bentley identifies himself with what we understand to be dark and evil symbolisms.

Consider this passage from Romans 6:

[color=000066]I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye presented your members [as] servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity, even so now present your members [as] servants to righteousness unto sanctification.

For when ye were servants of sin, ye were free in regard of righteousness. [u]What fruit then had ye at that time in the things whereof ye are now ashamed?[/u] For the end of those things is death. But now being made free from sin and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto sanctification, and the end eternal life. [/color]

Typically when folk are truly born again they desire to [i]distance themselves[/i] from anything that even resembles this world. Paul says here in Romans, that we are now [u]ashamed[/u] of what we did while in sin. But this is not the case with many. They seek to legitimize their old sinful practices by somehow sanctifying them with a "Jesus" label. I used to be a _________, but now I am a Christian __________. And typically that _________ is the idol in their life that God has been trying to see them throw down the altar of for years (See Judges 2).

I do not want to be identified in any way, shape or form with the enemies of God. I want to distance myself from their practices. I want to forget those things that are behind- not sanitize them with some rhetoric and then bring them into my present life. What ever happened to dying to the Old Man? What ever happened to "You are not your own- you were bought with a price?" Did God give me permission to vandalize His property?

Quote:
In response to the verse you used, Paul is talking about sexual immorality. His purpose in saying the body is a temple of the Spirit is to say we must not give our bodies over to sexual sin but remember that our bodies are members with Christ.

Lots of youth are in to 'cutting'. We encounter this from time to time. The reminder that your body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit deals with what Stephen Told the Jews in Acts 7. He quoted from Isaiah 66: 1, 2:

[color=000066]Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and [u]where is the place of my rest?[/u] For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: [u]but to this man will I look[/u], even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word. [/color]

Where is the place of God's REST? Where can He abide without the stench of sin and compromise? Where can He go and not find the idols and altars to the gods of this world? Where can He go and not be vexed from day to day with reminders of former lovers? Can God rest in [u]me[/u]? Is He provoked to jealousy because my heart is still turned to the former things? Can He rest in me? I believe we need to live our lives in such a way that God is not provoked by the things I entertain or defend. I don't want to remind God of my sinful past. I'm not proud of it. What good is it to be broken over sin at the altar and then turn and embrace it there after?

2008/6/10 9:21Profile
ravenmolehil

North Carolina, US

Re: A New Testament Answer to not having Tatoos!

I think 2 Cor. 6 : 14-16 does apply in this case:
(if you keep in mind that 'many' of the artist are practicing Satanist, who pray over their needles before the cutting.
& that tattooing is vastly associated with the occult;
I know there are exceptions but we would be willingly ignorant to ignore the history behind such practices.
(Just key in the word 'Tattoo' in Wikipedia)

14Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
15And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
16And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

2008/6/10 10:12Profile
ravenmolehil

North Carolina, US

Re:

I won't post the link, but there is a pdf online that details a few of Bentley's tattoo's & it is rather disturbing

2008/6/10 10:16Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

This is what disturbed me is that Bentley as a person if he becomes say a youth role model!
He as a christian, once saved had tattoos! Which is completly wrong.
I personally hate to bring up the question.

We have a former tatootist who gave up tatooing because he came to Jesus! He is against people from having tattoos and so am I.

2008/6/10 10:35Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

I would have to agree with RobertWurtz and Ravenmolehill. Why embroil yourself in the implications and stereotypes that tattoos bring along? Why not instead endeavor to lead a clean, pure, unblemished life (if inward, so also shall it be outward) before the scrutinizing eyes of the god-haters around you?

Tattoos are not symbols of humility; believers should be growing in humility and Christ-likeness. Those who are Christ's no longer belong to themselves, but have been bought with the invaluable price of God's own blood. Therefore, it is not our decision to get a tattoo; it is God's, and those who intimately know God already know His answer to this and to other questions pertaining to the adornment of flesh and the conforming to the things of the world.

As for me, my God forbids me to treat my body as such, as a canvass for unregenerate man's artwork (and even in my unsaved state, I found the idea quite repulsive and "sleazy"); God compels His adopted sons and daughters to walk even as His Son did, blameless, without spot or blemish (for we walk and have our being in Christ our life, who is all of this), a pure testimony to all who see us, denying the chance for those who are without to find fault in our appearance, actions, demeanor and speech.

2008/6/10 10:41Profile
Thommy2

Wisconsin

Re:

I do think it's funny how we so quickly judge the empirical. LOOK he has Tatoos...that must be an unregenerate man's artwork! We are a funny creature (I judge too I always assume a guy full of tatoos wants to talk about them).
I would never encourage a brother or sister to be tatooed though. I think we could be better stewards with our time and money. Also a tatoo (although they can be very beautiful) is transient...so why bother.
But we need to stop screechin on an issue like this and save our energies to battle for the Trinity or Salvation by grace (the last sentence was inspired by a conversation with a United Pentacostal that told me I could lose my salvation if I did not remove my tatoos...goofy legalistic conversations...from someone who does not even believe in our Triune LORD)

2008/6/10 11:14Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy