SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : 171 days until the Greenock, Scotland Revival Conference

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 171 days until the Greenock, Scotland Revival Conference

171 days until the Greenock, Scotland Revival Conference

Jesus had a humble heart.

He said of Himself, “I am meek and lowly in heart” (Matt. 11:29); and Paul tells us that He “made Himself of no reputation, and took upon Him the form of a servant, and...humbled Himself” (Phil. 2:7).

Bless His dear name! He did humble Himself, for though He was the Lord of life and glory, yet He stooped to be born of a lowly virgin in a manger, and wrought as an unknown carpenter for thirty years, and then chose to live with the poor, the ignorant and the vile, instead of the rich, the noble and the learned. While Jesus never seemed ill at ease or constrained in the presence of those who were mighty with this world’s greatness, or wise with its learning, yet His simple, humble heart found its mates among the lowly, hardworking, common people. He cleaved to them. He would not be lifted up. They wanted to do it for Him, but He slipped away for prayer among the mountains, and then returned and preached such a straight sermon that nearly all His disciples left Him.

Just a short time before His death, He took the menial place of a slave, and washed His disciples’ feet, and then said, “I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you” (John 13:15).

How that helped me in the training home! The second day I was there they sent me down into a dark little cellar to black half a cartload of dirty boots for the cadets. The devil came at me, and reminded me that, a few years before, I had graduated from a university, that I had spent a couple of years in a leading theological school, had been pastor of a metropolitan church, had just left evangelistic work in which I saw hundreds seeking the Saviour, and that now I was only blacking boots for a lot of ignorant lads.

My old enemy is the devil! But I reminded him of the example of my Lord, and he left me. Jesus said, “If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them” (John 13:17). I was doing them – the devil knew it and let me alone, and I was happy. That little cellar was changed into one of Heaven’s anterooms, and my Lord visited me there.

“God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble” (Jas. 4:6). If you would have a heart like that of Jesus it will be one filled with humility, that “is not puffed up,” that “seeketh not her own” (1 Cor. 13:4-5). “Be clothed with humility” (1 Pet. 5:5). -Samuel L. Brengle

FREE EVENT TO ATTEND, PRE-REGISTER HERE: http://2008scotland.eventbrite.com/

2008/6/8 1:33Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy