SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Question: turning stones to bread

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
BeGods

Question: turning stones to bread

Hi everyone, I'm preparing a Sun school lesson for tomorrow and it just occured to me I don't thoroughly understand a part of my lesson.

The verse from Matthew 4 which talks about Satan tempting Jesus to turn the stones into bread... my lesson is talking about how Jesus resisted this sin. But I can't put my finger on why it would have BEEN a sin if He had done it. How do you explain why that would have been sinful exactly? Thank you for any help you can give me!!

2008/6/7 13:56Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: Question: turning stones to bread

Jesus did not use the power of God for his own self, he did give bread to several thousands later on, he used the miraculous powers to give bread to others, but not for himself.

We can learn from this i think, if we feed ourself with the power God gives us, we sin. If we only use this power for our own good.

my thoughts on it.

2008/6/7 14:19Profile
Logic

Quote:
BeGods wrote:

The verse from Matthew 4 which talks about Satan tempting Jesus to turn the stones into bread... my lesson is talking about how Jesus resisted this sin. But I can't put my finger on why it would have BEEN a sin if He had done it. How do you explain why that would have been sinful exactly? Thank you for any help you can give me!!

[b]Mat 4:2[/b] [color=990000]And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward hungry.[/color]The term "hungry" isn't a good word which we use today.
After 40 days of fasting, Jesus most likely did not have any fat for His body to use as fuel, therfore His body was consuming it's self, muscle and organs; sufering from malnutrition now.
Jesus was more than hungry, He was , in fact, starving.
The stones that HE saw actualy looked like loaves of bread [img align=left]http://www.biblepicturegallery.com/Thumbs/pa/world/places/palestne/wildness/Stones%20sometimes%20look%20like%20baked%20loaves%20like%20thes.jpg[/img]
When you are starving and you see food, your flesh is so week(Mat 26:41b, Mar 14:38b) your mind will play tricks on you.
This is when you are most open to sugjestions, Then comes the devil...

[b]1Jn 2:16[/b] [color=990000]For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.[/color]
I use this verse alot as you can tell, however, ut does tell us what part of us is being temped.

lust of the flesh - [b]Mat 4:3[/b] [color=990000]And when the tempter came to him, he said, [b]since[/b] you are the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.[/color]

Notice, the word "since"? The devil wasn't throwing doubt to Jesus, HE knew that HE was God, and the devil knew that HE knew.
Therefor, I believe the best Greek word for "ει" - ei, is best translated, "since" or "all though", and the like.

The devil was saying, in other words, "Hey, your God and You know it, what are you doing here in the wilderness starving to death?' 'Look at those rocks, don't they look like delicous loaves of bread? Make them into bread and save your self, eat!"

lust of the eyes - [b]Mat 4:8[/b][color=990000] Again, the devil took him up into an exceedingly high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;[/color]

pride of life - [b]Mat 4:6[/b] [color=990000]And said unto him, [b]since[/b] you are the Son of God, cast yourself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning you: and in their hands they shall bear you up, lest at any time you dash your foot against a stone.[/color]

Jesus was being tempted to do something of His the initiative of/from the flesh.
Satan was tempting Him to use His Godness, if you will, to do something for His own gain.

[b]Heb 4:15[/b] [color=990000]For we have not a high priest who cannot be touched with the feeling of our weaknesses; but was in all points tempted like we are, yet without sin.[/color]

2008/6/7 16:06Profile
rometown

Lansing, MI

Is that devil still using that old trick? I am sure of it.
1st John 2:16 [color=3333FF]For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.[/color]
There is a old saying that simplifies this even further [color=3333FF]" the devil is trying to get you to do things another time or another way either way he gets you"[/color]
Lord Bless,

2008/6/7 22:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy