SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : 143 days until the Lilburn, GA, USA Revival Conference

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 143 days until the Lilburn, GA, USA Revival Conference

143 days until the Lilburn, GA, USA Revival Conference

"And this is the boldness which we have toward Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He heareth us. And if we know that He hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions which we have asked of Him" (1 John 5:14-15).

One of the greatest hindrances to believing prayer with many is that they do not know if what they ask is according to the will of God. As long as they are in doubt on this point, they cannot have the boldness to ask in the assurance that they certainly shall receive. They soon begin to think that if once they have made known their requests and receive no answer, it is best to leave it to God to do according to His good pleasure. The words of John, "If we ask anything according to His will, He heareth us," as they understand them, make certainty as to answer to prayer impossible because they cannot be sure of what really may be the will of God. They think of God's will as His hidden counsel. How should man be able to fathom what really may be the purpose of the all-wise God?

This is the very opposite of what John aimed at in writing thus. He wished to rouse us to boldness, to confidence, to full assurance of faith in prayer. He says, "This is the boldness which we have toward Him," that we can say, "Father, Thou knowest and I know that I ask according to Thy will. I know Thou hearest me." "This is the boldness, that if we ask anything according to His will, He heareth us." On this account, He adds at once, "If we know that He heareth us whatsoever we ask, we know," through this faith, "that we have," that we now while we pray receive "the petition," the special things, "we have asked of Him."

John supposes that when we pray, we first find out if our prayers are according to the will of God. They may be according to God's will and yet not come at once or without the persevering prayer of faith. It is to give us courage thus to persevere and to be strong in faith that He tells us that what gives us boldness or confidence in prayer is that we ask anything according to His will and He hears us. It is evident that if it is a matter of uncertainty to us whether our petitions are according to His will, we cannot have the comfort of what he says, "We know that we have the petitions which we have asked of Him." -Andrew Murray

FREE EVENT TO ATTEND, PRE-REGISTER HERE: http://revivalconference.eventbrite.com/

2008/5/31 14:14Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy