SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Lessons from the light

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Lor_E

Montana USA

Lessons from the light

“For the invisible things of Him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead...” Rom 1:20

Learn to commend thy daily acts to God, so shall the dry every-day duties of common life be steps to heaven, and lift thy heart thither.
--EDWARD B. PUSEY

Many mornings my husband and I walk our puppy, in part for exercise and in part for training. (Much is there that I can learn, even in the simple act of ‘the master’ teaching the ‘pupil’ simple things such as “Come”, “Sit”, “Stay”, and “Go”.)

The road is a quiet country road in between fields, and climbs right away up a rather steep hill. Often times I keep my eyes on the road itself, as looking up to the top makes it seem like such a long climb. I may look around here and there, glancing to the top of the hill simply to see my progress; but I watch my feet not wanting to trip over the many rocks in the road.

This morning, however, the spring had adorned the day with a pleasant combination of clouds and sun, the hint of light sprinkles of rain, and a gentle breeze. The birds seemed as caught up as I in the beauty of the morn’, as they sang gloriously all around me.

Once atop the hill I could see the full length and breadth of the entire valley out before me: the mountain ranges all around covered by cloudy light, the grassy fields green from all the recent rain, the layers of fluffy white clouds behind the layers of darker clouds hanging in various heights, which surrounded me in a ring dotting the horizon and playing hide and seek with the sun.

We walked to the end of the road quietly, listening to the tune of the birds and the harmony of the breeze. Upon turning to go back towards home I noticed away in the distance the slight hue of a rainbow illuminating a farmstead. It really wasn’t much of a rainbow, more like a piece of a rainbow as just a few of its colors were visible. Yet, the light was unmistakable, the place of the rainbow was lit, and the colors pure and clean. I could not seem to tear my eyes from it as I walked. I noticed that the more that I walked and watched the more bright the colors became. Soon the entire lower portion of the rainbow was in sight, extending from the ground upwards to a low cloud.

The rainbow of promise, I thought.
Not colors of the earthy, not browns and greens; rather the spectrum of the heavenly- colors formed from light through the misting of water. How amazing I found the entire panorama! Not only that which I saw with my eyes, but that which seemed to resonate in my heart.

The promises of God, the heavenly colors not always noticed or seen; yet, their reality was ever more present than even this glimpse of beauty. I watched and soon behind the first rainbow, the colors of another faintly gleamed. Soon the colors of the first bow became more solid, and the second one was still just colors not completely recognizable as a bow.

The further I walked, the lighted spectrums became less and less visible. I had almost wished to go backwards and view them again.
“No,”
“the promises of God are there whether or not you can still see them.”

We all must walk the path in front of us, keeping our eyes focused on the heavenly promises while walking on this earth, with all it‘s matter seeking to cling to us where ever we go. No, we have a heavenly home, whose brightness, purity, clarity, beauty, glory and holiness I can not comprehend, far above this earthy place.

I know that the light will break through at just the right time, in just the right moment to reveal more and more of those things we long for: layer upon layer, line upon line, deep calling unto deep

How can I grasp, that though often I feel as only clay,
God has given,
granted to us by His grace:
the opportunity,
the view,
the portion,
the blessing,
of being a part of His wonders on the earth.
Not only to be a part of the earth! NO.
Rather a part of His wonders.

“If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above,
where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
Set your affections on things above, not on things on the earth.” Col. 3:1,2

2008/5/31 14:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy