SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : New Bible translation promotes fornication

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 New Bible translation promotes fornication

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

A brand-new translation of the Bible – praised by Britain's archbishop of Canterbury, that nation’s senior Christian voice – flatly contradicts traditional core Christian beliefs on sex and morality.

Titled "Good as New," the new Bible is translated by former Baptist minister John Henson for the "One" organization, to produce what the group calls a "new, fresh and adventurous" translation of the Christian scriptures.

The 104th archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Rowan Williams – leader of the Church of England – describes it is a book of "extraordinary power," but admitted many would be startled by its content.

"Instead of condemning fornicators, adulterers and 'abusers of themselves with mankind'," says Ruth Gledhill, the London Times religious affairs correspondent, "the new version of his first letter to Corinth has St. Paul advising Christians not to go without sex for too long in case they get 'frustrated.'"

"The new version, which Dr. Williams says he hopes will spread 'in epidemic profusion through religious and irreligious alike', turns St. Paul's strictures against fornication on their head," adds the Times.

2004/6/24 12:54Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: New Bible translation promotes fornication

Quote:
Titled "Good as New," the new Bible is translated by former Baptist minister John Henson for the "One" organization, to produce what the group calls a "new, fresh and adventurous" translation of the Christian scriptures.

This has been something that has been on my heart for a long time. The proliferation of new translations of the bible since the 1970's has caused a confusion in my heart over my 7 year walk with God and I cant imagine being in the place of an old saint of God that has grown up using 1 or 2 translations now to see 100's of translations available and people flocking to each one for difference of preference. In my life I would confess that I have lost abit of a regard for the bible as Holy Scriptures and have lost much of my reverence for the Words of God. I personally am going back and reading the KJV bible more and finding that I am gaining back some of that reverence for the Words of God. This news story just shows the fruit of men at their worst toying with the Words of the Living God. How confusing this is becoming for Christians in our day and age. We must pray.

2004/6/24 13:28Profile
Zenas

British Columbia, Canada

Re:

For more on this new "translation", take a look at these sites:

http://www.canada.com/victoria/timescolonist/news/story.html?id=0f7f3674-6087-4957-9df3-dba2e13b29f5

and

http://www.o-books.net/goodasnew.htm

I suppose that a generation seeking to fashion a god according to its own whims and fancies needs a Bible that does the same. That the Archbishop of Canterbury would throw his weight behind the false doctrines promoted in this revisionist translation is a sad commentary on the state of the Church of England (The fact that there is such a thing as an "archbishop" is probably a large part of the problem, but that's another subject altogether). Praise God for those churches that haven't followed his lead and continue to preach the truth of God unadulterated.

2004/6/24 21:08Profile
DelightedInU

Escondido, CA

Re:

How sad!

How can people do that to God's Word?

As I read this I felt like I was kicked in the gut. And I still can't breathe well.

Sometimes I wish God would just Judge and smite these people that do this to His name...but that isn't very Christian-like is it? Like the Son's of Thunder who just wanted to call down fire on the city? I suppose I will have to pray about it instead!

2004/6/25 12:17Profile
rocklife

usa

Re:

God is going to judge all this. There is a curse reserved for those who add or take away to His word in Revelation.

Lord, please forgive our sins, please give us wisdom, please help Christians not get confused, please protect Your sheep, especially from the wolves posing as Christian leaders. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

2004/6/25 13:30Profile
DelightedInU

Escondido, CA

Re:

I know God is going to judge them but I want him to do it NOW! I want everyone to see their judgement, so they would take heed and not read the stupid "bible".

2004/6/25 14:22Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

I personally am going back and reading the KJV bible more and finding that I am gaining back some of that reverence for the Words of God.

As noble as that sounds... it is not really a solution.

NASB is better :)

2004/6/25 15:37Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

is that quote not specifically for revelation rather than for the whole bible?

2004/6/30 12:07Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

people are interesting, I can see how we sometimes want judgement for others, but do we really want God to come down right now? I guess we'd have to look at ourselves to see if we are ready coz we may be right there in the thick of it...

2004/6/30 12:10Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
people are interesting, I can see how we sometimes want judgement for others, but do we really want God to come down right now? I guess we'd have to look at ourselves to see if we are ready coz we may be right there in the thick of it...

Hi Welcome to the Site! Feel free to introduce yourself here: [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=13&641]Welcome & Intro[/url]. Yes its going to be an awful day when God judges peoples hearts but I think there is a principle in the scripture that is layed out where when Jesus comes in His glory the evil men will flee and hide themselves when the righteous will lift up their hands for their redemption draws nigh. I think if we are professing Chrisitans we should be in the place of not being ashamed when He comes but looking forward to that day and everyday living as if Jesus was coming back to judge the quick and the dead.

2004/6/30 12:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy