SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : A lesson is that is no longer taught by many.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

A lesson is that is no longer taught by many.

This is a true story...

In September of 2005, on the first day of school, Martha Cothren, a social studies school teacher at Robinson High School in Little Rock, did something not to be forgotten. On the first day of school, with the permission of the school superintendent, the principal and the building supervisor, she removed all of the desks out of her classroom. When the first period kids entered the room they discovered that there were no desks. Looking around, confused, they asked, 'Ms. Cothren, where're our desks?'

She replied, 'You can't have a desk until you tell me what you have done to earn the right to sit at a desk.'

They thought, 'Well, maybe it's our grades.'

'No,' she said.

'Maybe it's our behavior.'

She told them, 'No, it's not even your behavior.'

And so, they came and went, the first period, second period, third period. Still no desks in the classroom. By early afternoon television news crews had started gathering in Ms. Cothren's classroom to report about this crazy teacher who had taken all the desks out of her room.

The final period of the day came and as the puzzled students found seats on the floor of the deskless classroom, Martha Cothren said, 'Throughout the day no one has been able to tell me just what he or she has done to earn the right to sit at the desks that are ordinarily found in this classroom. Now I am going to tell you.'

At this point Martha Cothren went over to the door of her classroom and opened it. Twenty-seven U.S. Veterans, all in uniforms, walked into that classroom, each one carrying a school desk. The Vets began placing the school desks in rows, and then they would walk over and stand alongside the wall. By the time the last soldier had set the final desk in place those kids started to understand, perhaps for the first time in their lives, just how the right to sit at those desks had been earned.

Martha said, 'You didn't earn the right to sit at these desks. These heroes did it for you. They placed the desks here for you. Now, it's up to you to sit in them. It is your responsibility to be good students, to be good citizens. They paid the price so that you could have the freedom to get an education. Don't ever forget it.'

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - Is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it.

These men only saved physical lives of their fellow countrymen or gave an extended period for many to accept the real sacrifice made at the cross by Jesus for eternity and eternal freedom to worship Him forever. This abundance of material things that Americans have enjoyed have turned many away from Him in America. It has been a stumbling block also for many who have fell into jealousy towards Americans because they don't have as much freedom or stuff in their country.

The love of Jesus in these hearts of these men over the years of history had provided love for others and they have sacrificed for the children for freedom and against evil people who serve other Gods.
I realize this is not a popular subject on SI. However it is my theological viewpoint from His Word. I believe Jesus' death and that alone saved me and also guides me others in service to HIM. I'm thankful for Jesus sacrifice and I'm certainly thankful and certain he has in the past and will continue to provide the strength for whatever is needed to serve Him but I don't have to wait for the great tribulation to enjoy the salvation that he provided for me and others. Living in a free country or enjoying freedom is certainly not a requirement to be His child or to serve Him but from what I read of His Word, He desires to bless those who honor Him and provide their needs for etenity.

2008/5/25 21:41

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy