SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : 149 days until the Lilburn, GA, USA Revival Conference

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 149 days until the Lilburn, GA, USA Revival Conference

149 days until the Lilburn, GA, USA Revival Conference

First we must have a small company of believers who can pray or are willing to learn how to pray. To make sure that they will take the prayer meeting seriously, let them be told that prayer is the most important function of the church—even more so than preaching. The minister will not feel offended at this if he be a true man of God. “We will give ourselves continually to prayer and the ministry of the word” (Acts 6:4). No matter who the minister may be, his church can be no better in God’s sight than its prayer meeting.

Secondly, we must have for a leader a man who will take his office seriously enough to prepare his heart and mind for the high and holy ministry of leading his brethren out to meet God. A prayerless leader will kill the meeting. He must wait on the Lord to prepare his heart and to get his mind filled with the items of God’s business which need to be prayed about. He who puts nothing into the meeting will bring nothing out of it. Prayer is the one thing we approach without preparation.

As to how to proceed: cut the preliminaries to the bone. Let there be three or four requests for prayer, definitely stated in a few words; no speeches about details. Give the people plenty of opportunity to present their prayer needs. If they do not respond quickly, let the leader introduce some prayer requests. As each request is presented, ask someone to volunteer to present it to the Father. When enough volunteers have been secured to take care of three or four requests, then go to prayer.

Repeat this process. Never ask for a lot of requests and then say: “Now, let us go to prayer. Who will lead us?” The result of such a course is that most of the requests receive no attention. If the people should be slow to volunteer in accepting a request to pray for, ask them to take one or another of the requests.

In a short time a prayer meeting that was once dull will become so blessed that everyone will be sorry that the meeting cannot go on longer. And no one will look at the clock—unless some inconsiderate person prays too long.

The people must be brought back to simplicity. The common practice of making use of many words in prayer by those who are fertile-minded and fluent of speech should be discouraged. The prayer meeting—of all places—is not the place for such a practice. It has the effect of brow-beating the timid, slow ones into silence. We cannot impress the Lord with words, and we should not try to impress our brethren with long prayers.

It is good to begin with the petition, “Lord, teach us to pray” (Luke 11:1). The Lord’s method of prayer is efficient, time-saving. In a public prayer meeting, where there are many who are eager to participate, time is a very important consideration. Let us learn from the Lord how to compress a lot of meaning into a few words.

Take the prayer of the “publican”: “God—be merciful—to me—a sinner” (Luke 18:13). With seven words the publican addresses God; makes his petition; tells the Lord who and what kind of a person it is that is seeking His favor. Time: about three seconds.

Take the petition of the disciples (Luke 11:1). With eleven words they addressed the Lord, made a great request, indicated for whom the request was made, and pointed to John and his disciples as an example. Time: about five seconds.

Now look at the “model prayer” (Matt. 6:9-13). There are only sixty-seven words in this prayer, but with these few words the Lord makes a majestic approach to the Father, makes seven major petitions, and closes with a mighty note of praise. Time: about forty seconds.

“After this manner pray ye!” Long prayers, supplications and intercessions should, as a rule, be made in the closet or when praying with “two or three” others. If one has a heart full of prayer, let him pray briefly several times about several different things, instead of making one lengthy prayer.

We should never go into a prayer meeting without something to pray about. And a prayer leader should have a reserve of requests either in his mind or notebook. Be it remembered that in real prayer meetings, the church is doing business with God. Therefore let there be a full agenda. Let the “Order Department” of Heaven be swamped with requisitions!

Pray first for the prayer life of all Christians. Pray for revival. Pray for every member of every family in the church. Pray for the convicting, converting power of the Holy Spirit. Pray for the sick, the tempted, the backslidden. Pray for the whole Body of Christ. Pray for our nation and for all nations. Pray for all in authority. Pray for the ministers and the missionaries by name.

It is a helpful plan for each member to have a notebook in which each request for prayer is entered with the date. Each request should be kept before the Lord until it is answered. Then mark it “answered”.

The problem of the prayer meeting is prayer—not numbers. Prayer is scarce. Men of prayer are scarcer yet; but the knowledge of what to pray for and how to pray—is the scarcest of all. -A.E. Reinschmidt

FREE EVENT TO ATTEND, PRE-REGISTER HERE: http://revivalconference.eventbrite.com/

2008/5/25 12:29Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: 149 days until the Lilburn, GA, USA Revival Conference

Praying for the conference...and spreading word about it to anyone who might be interested!

Just this week, I was hanging up some Conference posters at a public gazebo at the University. After looking at what I was posting on the bulletin board, a skaterboarding student asked me, "[i]What's a revival[/i]?" Needless to say, he left after about twenty minutes fully aware of his need to seek the Lord.

:-)

2008/5/25 14:44Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Just this week, I was hanging up some Conference posters at a public gazebo at the University. After looking at what I was posting on the bulletin board, a skaterboarding student asked me, "What's a revival?" Needless to say, he left after about twenty minutes fully aware of his need to seek the Lord.

excellent testimony dear brother. For those intrested you can print off the poster for the event here and put it up in schools, bookshops churches, etc.

[b]Conference Flyer (pdf) [/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/revival/revivalconference_2008_georgia.pdf

2008/5/25 20:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy