SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : How Did the Early Church Study Scriptures?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Mattie

How Did the Early Church Study Scriptures?

First let me say before any reads this discussion, I am in no way diminishing the importance of the study of Scriptures. I only have a question regarding how we are to properly approach Scripture in light of the new covenant and the book of Acts.

The early church only had their hands on the scrolls that could be read in the synagogues on the Sabbath. So in reality, wasn't the only chance they had to study Scripture on Saturday? And if so, how should we properly read the Scriptures?

Also, the scrolls they had did not have chapters and verses like we have in our bibles. So is a book such as Genesis meant to be read as a whole rather than in selected portions.

I am not trying to be rigid in saying there is only one way to read Scriptures, but I am asking in light of the way the early church approached the Word.

Any thoughts?

2008/5/21 13:22Profile
Compton

Re: How Did the Early Church Study Scriptures?

Hi Mattie,

You might find the book "Evangelism in the Early Church" by Michael Green helpful to your study on this question.

I've just cracked it, but Green proposes that the early Christians didn't regard the gospel as a school of spiritual truths as much as it was a report of facts.

Blessings,

MC

2008/5/21 15:44Profile

Re: How Did the Early Church Study Scriptures?

2 Thess 2:14-15
15 So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter.

Mattie their danger in giving or receving taking second hand information about the scriptures from mere man. I'm speaking of people who have the title of preacher or pastor without examining and comparing waht they are saying compared to the scriptures. There are some who with a sincere heart make every effort to teach and preach truth, there are others we will lead us a direction to enable the devil to kill, steal and destroy. They won't announce which they are, as a matter of fact, they will call which lead to evil, good and things that lead the good, evil. It is very dangerous to put ones faith in anyone who isn't an Apostle. The Apostles wrote the Word. When we quote a man are refer someone to a sermon, we better make sure he lines up with the Apsotles.
Moe

2008/5/21 16:19

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy