SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Pastor Hagee Apologizes for Anti-Catholic Remarks (what a sell out!!)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Pastor Hagee Apologizes for Anti-Catholic Remarks (what a sell out!!)

What a disgusting sell-out John Hagee is. Here is a high profile American preacher willing to sell-out the truth for politics of all things!

Now, you may not agree that Revelation 17 is describing the RCC. Personally I think it is, and it's so descriptive I dont know how anyone can say it isnt... but the point is, John Hagee preached against the Roman Catholic Church (a wretched false religion)... but in the interest of getting his favorite candidate elected he will do a 180 degree turn, and actually apologize for preaching against Rome!

There are plenty of reasons why we should avoid John Hagee... but now he has proven that he will turn his back on what he believes is true... for politics!

Enjoy the article, if you can read it without vomitting... Krispy

[b]Pastor Hagee Apologizes for Anti-Catholic Remarks[/b]
[i]by FOXNews.com
Tuesday, May 13, 2008[/i]

[i]Evangelical leader John Hagee, one of John McCain’s highest-profile supporters from the religious right, has apologized for comments he made that were offensive to Catholics.

In a letter Monday to Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights, Hagee wrote, “I want to express my deep regret for any comments that Catholics have found hurtful.”

Pastor Hagee, leader of San Antonio’s Cornerstone Church, has often made references to “the apostate church” and the “great whore,” terms that Catholics say are slurs aimed at the Roman Catholic Church.

In his letter, Hagee said he now better understands that the Book of Revelation’s reference to the Catholic Church by those two terms are “a rhetorical device long employed in anti-Catholic literature and commentary.”

“Neither of these phrases can be synonymous with the Catholic Church,” he wrote.

Donohue, accepting the apology, said on FOX News Radio: “I’m absolutely delighted … I haven’t seen such a quick turnaround in the 15 years that I have been president of the Catholic League.” He said he plans to meet with Hagee on Thursday.

Likening Hagee to two New York shock jocks who encouraged a pair of listeners to attempt to have sex in St. Patrick’s Cathedral in 2002, Donohue added that he is receptive to honest apologies.

“We’re not in the business of rejecting apologies whether it’s from Opie and Anthony or Pastor Hagee so now when we meet we can understand that this issue is moot and behind us and I think it’s a great moment that we can have some degree of reconciliation.”

Hagee’s endorsement in February had been difficult for McCain, as Democrats, Donohue and others called on the presumptive GOP nominee to reject the pastor’s support.

McCain said Tuesday he didn’t know if the new apology would stifle criticism, but said it was “helpful” and “laudable.”

“I believe the fact that these two individuals came together is a laudable thing and a testimony to both individuals and their principles, which are Judeo-Christian values,” he said, adding that his campaign had nothing to do with brokering the apology.

McCain, who has taken pains to gain the trust of the religious right, has rejected specific statements from Hagee — namely about the Catholic Church and blaming the sinful behavior of New Orleans residents for Hurricane Katrina — but would not denounce the pastor. Hagee apologized for the Katrina statements a couple weeks ago, saying it’s not his place to try to know the mind of God concerning the natural disaster.

Hagee has claimed that his “great whore” remarks were taken out of context, and that he was not directing them at the Roman Catholic Church. A spokesman said via e-mail Tuesday that Hagee “never used this phrase to refer to the Catholic Church.”

Donohue, who in February said that Hagee “has waged an unrelenting war against the Catholic Church,” said in a statement Tuesday that their feud is now history.

“The tone of Hagee’s letter is sincere. He wants reconciliation and he has achieved it,” Donohue said, adding that Hagee has spent “weeks” meeting with Catholic leaders.

“Indeed, the Catholic League welcomes his apology,” he wrote. “What Hagee has done takes courage and quite frankly I never expected him to demonstrate such sensitivity to our concerns. But he has done just that. Now Catholics, along with Jews, can work with Pastor Hagee in making interfaith relations stronger than ever. Whatever problems we had before are now history. This case is closed.”

Hagee is firmly pro-Israel and has praised McCain for sharing his values to that end. But he has condemned Catholics for what he sees as efforts to persecute Jews. In his 2006 book “Jerusalem Countdown,” Hagee wrote that history proves Adolf Hitler and the Catholic Church were linked “in a conspiracy to exterminate the Jews.”

In his letter to Donohue, Hagee indicated he no longer believes in such historical links.

“In my zeal to oppose anti-Semitism and bigotry in all its ugly forms, I have often emphasized the darkest chapters in the history of Catholic and Protestant relations with the Jews,” he wrote. “In the process, I may have contributed to the mistaken impression that the anti-Jewish violence of the Crusades and the Inquisition defines the Catholic Church. It most certainly does not. Likewise, I have not sufficiently expressed my deep appreciation for the efforts of Catholics who opposed the persecution of the Jewish people.”

Reacting to the letter, the Democratic National Committee again called on McCain to renounce Hagee’s endorsement Tuesday.

But McCain gave no sign of doing so. His campaign also rejects any attempts to draw comparisons between Hagee’s controversial remarks and those of Barack Obama’s former pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr.

Donohue told FOX News Radio that both McCain and Obama “have both gotten some bad advice on how to handle certain people who are close to them.”

But he said “I don’t really have a stink with McCain per se.”

FOX News’ Shushannah Walshe and Mike Majchrowitz and The Associated Press contributed to this report.[/i]

2008/5/14 8:28

Re: Pastor Hagee Apologizes for Anti-Catholic Remarks (what a sell out!!)

By the way... this thread will [b]NOT[/b] become a discussion about the candidates who are running for president. This is about John Hagee selling out for politics. Please help me not let this get into a discussion about McCain, Clinton or Obama.

Thanx...

Krispy

2008/5/14 8:33

I need more coffee... duplicate post...sorry!

Krispy

2008/5/14 8:35

Re:

By the way... Hagee has also apologized for this statement too:

[i]All hurricanes are acts of God, because God controls the heavens. I believe that New Orleans had a level of sin that was offensive to God, and they are — were recipients of the judgment of God for that. The newspaper carried the story in our local area that was not carried nationally that there was to be a homosexual parade there on the Monday that the Katrina came. And the promise of that parade was that it was going to reach a level of sexuality never demonstrated before in any of the other Gay Pride parades. So I believe that the judgment of God is a very real thing.[/i]

Why would a so-called "Man of God" apologize for saying that?? I have no problem standing up and saying that, and I wont apologize to anyone for it... it's [b]truth[/b]!

Preachers are NOT called to influence elections, they are called to preach the truth. Getting in bed with politicians is simply stupid and foolish.

American Christians [b]should[/b] vote as part of their civic duty. I'm absolutely all for voting and being informed, and involved to a certain extent... but what Hagee is doing is simply rediculous.

Anything that comes out of his mouth at this point is simply not to be trusted.

Krispy

2008/5/14 9:19
enid

Nottingham, England

Well, I didn't vomit, because Hagee's theology has always been questionable. Plus he has expressed anti-Jewish views in books he has written.

There is a lot of apostasy going on right now, it is so rampant you hardly blink an eyelid, even though we should be worried, alarmed and such like.

All this turning around back to Rome that seems to be going on in the name of 'unity' is so unreal.

God wants His people to be seperate, holy.

God help us to be so.

God bless.

2008/5/14 9:23Profile

Re:

What we need more than ever is men of God who are not afraid to preach the Word of God without apology... and preach it hard.

If you look at the revivals of the past, they didnt happen by getting all friendly with the world... and being spineless. God used men who took a strong stand against sin... personal sin and national sin... and proclaimed the judgement of God.

I too have trouble with Hagee's doctrinal positions, and was amazed at how wrong his latest book is on just about everything... but he had always had it right on the money when it came to the Roman Catholic Church... and then for him to recant? Amazing.

He says the RCC isnt an apostate church? Now he wants to join hands with Rome? Well... birds of a feather flock together.

The real lesson here for pastors is: Dont go around endorsing political candidates! It's one thing to preach on issues like abortion, etc... but stay out of the political bedroom when it comes to endorsing people. If you're properly teaching the Word of God, and you're listeners are growing in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ... God will guide them in their voting. We dont need to be told who to vote for.

That is a pathway wrought with peril!!

Krispy

2008/5/14 9:54

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
What a disgusting sell-out John Hagee is. Here is a high profile American preacher willing to sell-out the truth for politics of all things!

I believe John Hagee has the some of the same problems that many Christians have, including myself.
John 12:24
24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.
KJV

Is this verse talking about physically dead? Eventually yes when we are glorified, but no, now it is actually referring dying to our wants and desires that conflict with that of Christ's desires for our life and US dying to our own and them falling to the ground.

Hagee is trying to prevent something that he doesn't want to see happen, nor any true born again Christian will want to see happen. Hagee is well aware that it is very possible in the near future to become so antichrist in America, that the police will come physically remove Hagee and other preachers from their pulpits and take him them to jail and lock him up for preaching the simple gospel, setting aside all that other stuff he throws in. It is already happening in other countries. Hagee is trying to prevent this event in his own strength. Of course that opens up the thought of, do we use the things given us in our own strength to preserve the status quo of freedom of worship in America? I won't answer that to grant the wishes on politics but I will say, No I don't agree with Hagee going against what he really believes to be truth or apologizing for something that he still believes to be truth and no I don't agree with some of Hagees theology.
Thanks for posted Krispy I had not heard about this.

2008/5/14 10:14
reformer

Re:

Have you read the articles concerning Ravi Zacharias during NDP, refusing not to pray in Jesus name?

[url=http://www.sliceoflaodicea.com/?p=649]www.sliceoflaodicea.com[/url]

[url=http://www.ndptf.org/story/Index.cfm?Entity=9&Department=9&Dept_Order=1&This_TopicOrder=19&This_SubtopicOrder=2#5]Read the prayer here.[/url]

Someone mentioned the current apostasy that is going on in the world right now. Here we have a leader that has been very much influential in Christianity--his whole ministry is to defend the gospel. Its just another example to us all how many will bend their knew to being politically correct. We must first get it out of our mind that we are not a "Christian nation". If we can get that deception out of our minds like so many Christians have; we might be able to accomplish great things for God.

Edit: what I meant is so many people think we are a Christian nation. we are not a Christian nation. My thoughts go faster than my typing I think!!

2008/5/14 10:20Profile
reformer

Quote:

Don't hold back...tell us how you really feel!! :-P :-) :lol:

2008/5/14 10:21Profile

Re:

Quote:
Have you read the articles concerning Ravi Zacharias during NDP, refusing not to pray in Jesus name?

I think you mean he refused [b]to[/b] pray in Jesus name... thats what the link is about.

He's a sell-out too.

If you feel like you need to not mention Jesus' name, then perhaps that should be a sign that you ought not to be involved in that organization.

There are approximately 171,000 martyrs killed [b]each year[/b] because of their faith in Jesus... and Ravi is afraid of offending someone? Give me a break.

The Evangelical leadership in America is becoming more and more [b]pathetic[/b] with each passing day.

Krispy

PS: I'm feeling very fired up about this today.

2008/5/14 10:39

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy