SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Do you have a big mouth?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
reformer

Do you have a big mouth?

Proverb 13:3 [b]"Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life; he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin."[/b]

Are we so quick to speak or type, not weighing our thoughts? Do we come out of the gate swinging with every word and action? I admit I can do this too many times. Before I was a believer, my mouth was full of ruin every time it would open, never considering my words. But now as a new creation I and we must consider all the possible effects from our words.

This truth has come alive to me this morning due to an issue I have at my job with someone who has broken an agreement. My personality wants justice and my mind analyzes the situation in every aspect! What to say? How to say? What if I do this or that? My imagination runs a story book and then I get to frustrated and angry it consumes me; ever do that? :-(

I wanted to share this word with you this morning, I know I have in the past not guarded my words in my speech in many posts and in my daily life. We(I)must weigh every word and its possible consequences to me and each person.

Provers 13:1 [b]"A wise son hears his fathers instruction, but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke."[/b]

I am so thankful to the Lord for showing me this, even if it may have stung me a bit!

[b]"How can a young man keep his way pure? By [i]guarding[/i] it according to your word"[/b] Psalm 119:9

In Christ
Mike

2008/5/13 7:00Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Do you have a big mouth?

I don't really know how big my mouth is, but it isn't that small.

Fact is, sometime, we just react. Like I did yesterday.

I was taking a 5 year old to school, and there were two older boys, about 9 years old, walking in front of us.

One of them dropped his lunch box, and started swearing all the time he was picking up the scattered food.

He sounded as if he was joking about it, not in anger, just laughing with his friend at what had happened.

As I went past, I shouted, "Mind your language! We don't want to hear that!"

They didn't say anything else, and I don't feel bad about telling him either.

Mine was a natural reaction to hearing what I heard.

In Acts 23, we see the apostle Paul react to being struck in face.

Who wouldn't? Well, maybe some would not, but I think I would.

However, James 3 speaks about the tongue, how it is a little member, yet can set a forest on fire.

Yes, we should guard our words and be swift to hear, slow to speak and slow to wrath, James 1.

Also, Hebrew 12 tells us that whom the Lord loves He chastens. So if we are not getting corrected, get worried instead. Maybe we are not worth correcting.

Good post.

God bless.

2008/5/13 7:44Profile
HopeinChrist

Re:

Quote:
I was taking a 5 year old to school, and there were two older boys, about 9 years old, walking in front of us. One of them dropped his lunch box, and started swearing all the time he was picking up the scattered food. He sounded as if he was joking about it, not in anger, just laughing with his friend at what had happened. As I went past, I shouted, "Mind your language! We don't want to hear that!" They didn't say anything else, and I don't feel bad about telling him either. Mine was a natural reaction to hearing what I heard.

I wonder what would have happened if you and your son had stopped and helped the boy pick up his food while gently telling him about the impact his words have on others and himself.

We all have experienced that knee jerk reaction to situations that arise suddenly and unexpectedly. We don't usually stop to consider the best way to respond. May the Lord all help us to be slow to speak but for some of us, Lord help us also have the boldness to speak. While an unrestrained tongue can do much damage a silent tongue can also be damaging. The Lord has given me grace to grow in this area. To speak in season. For most of my life I would have responded to the situation you shared with silence, which would be just as wrong.
Hope

2008/5/13 9:12Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

The sad fact is, this boy is known, and for the wrong reason, the one who dropped his lunch.

I've heard the way he speaks to his mother, and does not listen to her.

One day, I was taking some children to school, and he said to one of them, 'I'm not going to school today!'

I said nothing, but we walked on.

The fact is, this boy is never corrected, or doesn't listen when he is. Like I said, he is not unknown.

Maybe its because everyone seems to be so soft and mushy to him could be why he doesn't listen.

I know this much. He listened to me that day. He might never do it again, I might never say anything again.

But as for silence, consider this in Psalm 58v1, 'Do you indeed speak righteousness, you silent ones?'

Silence doesn't always work, sometimes, but not always.

As for the 5 year old, he's not my son, I was just taking him to school.

Bye.

2008/5/13 9:31Profile
HopeinChrist

Re:

Quote:
But as for silence, consider this in Psalm 58v1, 'Do you indeed speak righteousness, you silent ones?' Silence doesn't always work, sometimes, but not always.

I don't think you understood my post. I was not suggesting that you should have been silent.
Hope

2008/5/13 20:38Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy