SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : How 'emerging church' movement could change U.S. religious landscape

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 How 'emerging church' movement could change U.S. religious landscape

[b]How 'emerging church' movement could change U.S. religious landscape[/b]

NEW YORK (AP) — Author Brian McLaren is among the most influential American religious thinkers of the last decade.
His break with rigid orthodoxy and embrace of new worship styles is at the center of what is called the emerging church — a movement that has gone viral. The emerging church reclaims ancient practices and prayers and creates new ones, while re-examining Scripture to learn how modern-day Christians should live.

Since no particular denomination is dominant in the view of McLaren and evangelical thinkers like him, their views have been embraced by a wide range of religious groups, including both conservative and liberal Protestants along with Roman Catholic congregations. ...

read more: www.usatoday.com

2008/5/12 17:32Profile
HindsFeet

Re: How 'emerging church' movement could change U.S. religious landscape

Honestly, I am confused by the emergent or emerging church. I'd would love to know where this movement stands doctrinally--esp. concerning the soverignty of God and redemptive work of Jesus.
Thanks for any insight or input on this..
shari

2008/5/12 19:43Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Quote:

HindsFeet wrote:
Honestly, I am confused by the emergent or emerging church. I'd would love to know where this movement stands doctrinally--esp. concerning the soverignty of God and redemptive work of Jesus.
shari

The Truth War by John MacArthur is a great book on this. They aren't sound doctrinally (the Bible isn't inerrant, people in other religions can get to heaven, etc.), but that may not be everyone. MacArthur zeros in on Rob Bell and Brian McLaren.

Jordan

2008/5/12 20:41Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
shari

There really isn't a doctrinal statement for them. They are varied. Some make a distinction between "emerging" and "emergent." The "emergent" side wants to change doctrines and challenge what has been beleived for centries. The "emerging" thinks highly of doctrine but believes we should be put the gospel in the vernacular of the people. There is probably a lot more that can be said but from what I know that is the main difference.

You could say that Rob Bell is "emergent" while Mark Driscoll is "emerging." If you are familiar with those two you can see there are some major differences while there are also some similarities.

I don't fall into either camp but I don't think it's quite fair to lump them all together.

2008/5/13 11:00Profile
HindsFeet

Re:

Thanks for the insight and synopsis--I am more familiar with Rob Bell/Nooma--

I will check out The Truth War....

Sadly, I have many friends in both emergent and emerging camps and friends in the Todd Bentley/Elijah List camps--all good people but swayed away...

All said---deception certainly abounds and we must be diligent to keep to the true Gospel of Jesus Christ!

Thanks again for the input and blessings to you....

2008/5/13 11:58Profile

Re:

Quote:

HomeFree89 wrote:
Quote:

HindsFeet wrote:
shari

The Truth War by John MacArthur is a great book on this.

They aren't sound doctrinally (the Bible isn't inerrant,

[b]people in other religions can get to heaven,[/b] etc.), but that may not be everyone. MacArthur zeros in on Rob Bell and Brian McLaren.

Jordan

This last groups theology has another name that they go by, but I won't start anything, by calling it or naming it.

2008/5/13 14:20
ExposingLies

Re:

Quote:
Sadly, I have many friends in both emergent and emerging camps and friends in the Todd Bentley/Elijah List camps--all good people but swayed away...

This tends to be the thought process of most SI users that are believers in Christ.

It's sad to see 'the only revival we can have is an old protestant/reformer/purtain revival'. GOD FORBID if He uses Pentecostals or the youth (emergent) :eek:

P.S. McLaren and Bell AREN'T the 'leaders' of this movement. No one is. They don't have a doctrine statement. So, one can say 'they believe this' but most wouldn't adhear to it because it's not organized.

2008/5/29 7:37Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

The fact that they have no doctrinal statement speaks for itself. It means anything goes, and they can change anything they say anytime they want to, because they have no accountability.

So, who wants to listen to them, do so. Who doesn't want to, doesn't have to.

I'm not listening to them.

Bye.

2008/5/29 7:57Profile
ExposingLies

Re:

Are you held accountable to your spending time with your parent? Hopefully not!

This mentality that you described, leads to OBLIGATION, not relationship.

Your not listening because your stubborn and hard-hearted. I hope God breaks you. (And if I ever get that way, may He break me too!)

2008/5/29 8:01Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

I don't spend time with my parents, because they are both dead.

As far as you are concerned anyone who doesn't accept lakeland or emergent is wrong.

So, I'm wrong.

2008/5/29 8:11Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy