Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Playing the Fool

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
pastorfrin

Playing the Fool

Playing the Fool

1 Samuel 26:21
Then said Saul, I have sinned: return, my son David: for I will no more do thee harm, because my soul was precious in thine eyes this day: behold, I have played the fool, and have erred exceedingly.

The fundamental wrong of [Saul] was that he failed to submit himself to the one King.… In that terrific hour when the prophet told him of his rejection, we have these words, “… to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.” Therein lay the man’s failure, that he had not obeyed, that he had not hearkened.… Created by God, being in myself all that I am by God’s creative act, called by God to high, dignified destiny, equipped by God with all that was necessary for the fulfilment of that destiny; “I have played the fool” in that I have forgotten God to whom I owe myself, my destiny, my equipment.…
The man who forgets God is self-centered. Every man lives under the government of God or of himself. The man who forgetting God, neglecting Him, disobeying Him, living without Him, finds his soul circumferences around the center of his own desire, lust, passion, will and waywardness, that man inevitably in some hour of crisis will be compelled to the confession, “Behold, I have played the fool.”
To every man … who is saying in the deepest of his soul almost in despair, “Behold, I have played the fool,” I say, “See the Christ!” He has come to the foolish to make them wise, to the ruined to redeem them, to the lost to find them, to the impure to purify them … to the souls that have unutterably and disastrously failed to realize within them the original intention and lift them into the place of fellowship with God.

G. Campbell Morgan, The Westminster Pulpit.

2008/5/12 4:54Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy