SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : A Mother's Day Truth. (Mothers can)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread









 A Mother's Day Truth. (Mothers can)

Reflections of a Mother
Author Unknown

I gave you life, but cannot live it for you.

I can teach you things, but I cannot make you learn.

I can give you directions, but I cannot be there to lead you.

I can take you to church, but I cannot make you believe.

I can teach you right from wrong, but I cannot always decide for you.

I can buy you beautiful clothes, but I cannot make you beautiful inside.

I can offer you advice, but I cannot accept it for you.

I can give you love, but I cannot force it upon you.

I can teach you to share, but I cannot make you unselfish.

I can teach you respect, but I cannot force you to show honor.

I can advise you about friends, but I cannot choose them for you.

I can tell you about drink, but I can't say "no" for you.

I can warn you about drugs, but I can't prevent you from using them.

I can tell you about lofty goals, but I can't achieve them for you.

I can teach you about kindness, but I can't force you to be gracious.

I can love you as a child, but I cannot place you in God's family.

I can pray for you, but I cannot make you walk with God.

I can teach you about Jesus, but I cannot make Jesus your Lord.

I can tell you how to live, but I cannot give you eternal life.

I can love you with unconditional love all my life... and I will.

Always,
Mom



 2008/5/10 11:10









 Re: A Mother's Day Truth. (Mothers can)

Dear Moe,

These are some nice-looking, pithy statements, but I am not sure who they are directed at (the child or the self) and what their purpose is? Perhaps to raise the self-esteem of mothers? Or to draw attention to themselves and make them appear more sensitive and well-meaning?

These things you have written are not untrue, but there is so much more than things being true in letter. "For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life." Any word in our mouth which is not breathed upon by the Spirit of God cannot give life. For if it originates in the flesh, in it there is nothing good or life-giving. On the contrary, real understanding--even of motherhood--comes from being perfectly joined to the Lord so that the words we speak are His words and not ours.

In what you have shared here, I notice a repetition: "I ... , I ... , I ... ." Moe, this is the very self that the Lord has called to [i]deny[/i], not reassert. He said, "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; [i]for without Me you can do nothing[/i]" (John 15:5). This is a not just a doctrinal statement.

Let us not focus on what we can or we can't do--for ultimately those things do not matter. When the Lord calls us to do something, [i]He[/i] will give us by His Spirit in us the ability to carry it out--but our sufficiency to do His will is of Him and not of ourselves.

Quote:
I can teach you about Jesus, but I cannot make Jesus your Lord.



Do not teach your children about Jesus, but show them the resurrected Christ in you--yieldng to the Spirit of the Lord, living under the perfect law of liberty in full, real dependece on Him, and bearing much fruit. When they see Christ in you, they will recognize Him as their Lord. You don't want them to mentally agree that He is Lord, but to know Him:

Jer 9:23 Thus says the Lord: "Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, Let not the mighty man glory in his might, Nor let the rich man glory in his riches;
Jer 9:24 But let him who glories glory in this, [u]That he understands and knows Me[/u], That I am the Lord, exercising lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth. For in these I delight," says the Lord.


Words--even biblical words--will not do the trick. We are not called first to tell others [i]about[/i] Christ, but to walk even as He walked, and thus show them (unintentionally) that our Redeemer lives (in us)! It is high time we stopped cheapening the abundant life in Christ to mere words we speak, true in letter, but devoid of power.

In Christ,
Slav

 2008/5/10 17:45









 Re:

I understand your reasoning with these lines and I agree with you. I almost changed the first line before posting this about the Mother giving life. I full well expected at least one negative rebuttal of this. First of all I'm a male and not a Mom. I am married to a Mom. The general intent of the writer I believe was to bring glory to the Lord and speak of the love for her child, although I can't say that because I don't know who the author is. As I said once on a post on SI. I am convinced if I made a post and only wrote one line that said:
THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD.
I would get a reply of someone saying, "what are trying to say Moe he is not mine too.
Thanks for the reply and I agree with you. No problem.

edit:
The man after God's own heart.
Ps 23:1-24:1
The LORD is [b]my[/b] shepherd; [b]I[/b] shall not want.

2 He maketh [b]me[/b] to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth [b]my[/b] soul: he leadeth [b]me[/b] in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though [b]I[/b] walk through the valley of the shadow of death, [b]I[/b] will fear no evil: for thou art with [b]me[/b]; thy rod and thy staff they comfort [b]me[/b].

5 Thou preparest a table before [b]me[/b] in the presence of [b]mine[/b] enemies: thou anointest [b] my[/b] head with oil; [b] my[/b] cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow [b]me[/b] all the days of [b]my [/b] life: and [b]I[/b] will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.


KJV

 2008/5/10 18:38









 Re: edited

Quote:

moe_mac wrote:
I understand your reasoning with these lines and I agree with you. I almost changed the first line before posting this about the Mother giving life. I full well expected at least one negative rebuttal of this. First of all I'm a male and not a Mom. I am married to a Mom. The general intent of the writer I believe was to bring glory to the Lord and speak of the love for her child, although I can't say that because I don't know who the author is. As I said once on a post on SI. I am convinced if I made a post and only wrote one line that said:
THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD.
I would get a reply of someone saying, "what are trying to say Moe he is not mine too.
Thanks for the reply and I agree with you. No problem.

edit:
The man after God's own heart.
Ps 23:1-24:1
The LORD is [b]my[/b] shepherd; [b]I[/b] shall not want.

2 He maketh [b]me[/b] to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth [b]my[/b] soul: he leadeth [b]me[/b] in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though [b]I[/b] walk through the valley of the shadow of death, [b]I[/b] will fear no evil: for thou art with [b]me[/b]; thy rod and thy staff they comfort [b]me[/b].

5 Thou preparest a table before [b]me[/b] in the presence of [b]mine[/b] enemies: thou anointest [b] my[/b] head with oil; [b] my[/b] cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow [b]me[/b] all the days of [b]my [/b] life: and [b]I[/b] will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.


KJV

 2008/5/10 22:05









 Re:

Moe,

I don't think you have understood what I had written, and therefore your agreement is not as valid. Which is also confirmed by the Scriptures you have quoted to make your point. I was not rebutting the letter of what you had posted, but the spirit of it.

Quote:
I full well expected at least one negative rebuttal of this.



If a brother rebukes me, "Slav, what you are doing is not of the Lord and you must repent of it," can I then say to him, "Oh, yes, brother, I completely understand and agree with you" and then continue practicing the very same thing? The latter fact will in actuality undermine my response.

What I can do, is bring the matter to the Lord and seek understanding from Him, in order to decide where I must stand. For this is not a minor thing, and even if it were, I cannot dismiss it lightly. As Christ's elect, we are to walk [i]in the truth[/i], and nothing but the truth, which is a distinct and narrow path. But saying we have understood, and quickly moving on, is not the same as [i]conforming to[/i] the truth and the standard the Lord has revealed to us and is calling us to.

 2008/5/11 7:39
roadsign
Member



Joined: 2005/5/2
Posts: 3777


 Re: A great message for moms

Moe_mac, I found your post very encouraging today!! I confess, as a mother of four now grown-up children, the temptation has always been (and still is) to wish that I were God – to control them, and make them be what I want them to be. But, your post reminds me that I am not God, and it is not my job to mold my children by control, manipulation, and domination. But there is one thing I can do:

Quote:
I can love you with unconditional love all my life... and I will.



Interestingly, last night a mother-in-distress called me – all upset because she believes she is failing as a mom and is ruining her children. Really, she has been trying to squeeze them into a mold- her expectations, and because she has taken on an impossible task, she is finding herself wrought with fear, anger, anxiety, and sense of failure. She is trying to do what is impossible. I told her, "You are not God! But you need God!"

Your post is perfect for her too!

Diane


_________________
Diane

 2008/5/11 8:04Profile
crsschk
Member



Joined: 2003/6/11
Posts: 9192
Santa Clara, CA

 Re: A Mother's Day Truth. (Mothers can)

To tell you the truth I think some of us need to look at the peevish spirit that comes out into something as simplistic as this ...

Good grief, it's mothers day. I will be visiting mine at her grave site this afternoon.

"[i]I can love you with unconditional love all my life... and I will.[/i]"

And it is reciprocal.


_________________
Mike Balog

 2008/5/11 10:43Profile
roadsign
Member



Joined: 2005/5/2
Posts: 3777


 Re: Treasure to one, rubbish to another

Quote:
Any word in our mouth which is not breathed upon by the Spirit of God cannot give life. For f it originates in the flesh, in it there is nothing good or life-giving.


Not true at all! God uses innumerable means of speaking his truths – and penetrating through our stubborn mental resistors. He has used all kinds of “unsanctified” sources to speak to me. What might seem like fluff to one may be just the right word from the Lord for another. He may even use:
Quote:
something as simplistic as this



Indeed, some of the most penetrating truths seem simplistic. But then again, it depends who is reading the message. It may not be meant for everyone – like this one. I sent this poem off to some Christian moms who have struggled intensely with guilt – for years: Mother’s guilt. It’s a wretched condition. This poem hits the mark – bull’s eye!

Regardless of its source, it can be God’s means of prodding through layers of self-effort to expose a stubborn idol: our own strength and wisdom – the product of works-doctrine. The GOOD NEWS of the Gospel is that Christ can set us free, and empower us to live righteously in HIS strength – by his Spirit. And in his strength we Moms can be empowered to offer our children the very best gift ever: the lavish love of Christ.

There will always be the hordes who use such a poem as this one to strenghten their faulty beliefs. But then, hasn't that been happening with the Bible - for centuries?


Diane
8-)


_________________
Diane

 2008/5/11 14:07Profile









 Re:

Quote:

NotMe wrote:
Moe,

I don't think you have understood what I had written, and therefore your agreement is not as valid. Which is also confirmed by the Scriptures you have quoted to make your point. I was not rebutting the letter of what you had posted, but the spirit of it.

Quote:
I full well expected at least one negative rebuttal of this.



If a brother rebukes me, "Slav, what you are doing is not of the Lord and you must repent of it," can I then say to him, "Oh, yes, brother, I completely understand and agree with you" and then continue practicing the very same thing? The latter fact will in actuality undermine my response.

What I can do, is bring the matter to the Lord and seek understanding from Him, in order to decide where I must stand. For this is not a minor thing, and even if it were, I cannot dismiss it lightly. As Christ's elect, we are to walk [i]in the truth[/i], and nothing but the truth, which is a distinct and narrow path. But saying we have understood, and quickly moving on, is not the same as [i]conforming to[/i] the truth and the standard the Lord has revealed to us and is calling us to.



.................................................
Hello,

Let me explain!!!
I was in agreement with you, in that, yes a Mothers do give physical birth, but God originally breathed life into man’s nostrils and gave life and then took a rib from man and made women. We also know the rest of that passage.

He who abides in me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without me you can do nothing"

That’s very true.

I submit to you that the reason God created us is because when he created the world and saw that it was good, he wanted someone to share it with, and then he made us man in his own image and gave us dominion over some things. God loves seeing his children happy and joyful and trusting in HIM. He does not get nitpicky in our language to others especially when we tell others about our love for them, because he knows our hearts. Yes there is much more to the truth, man messed it up and Jesus came to unite us with a Holy God.

Where would we be if God had not of made women? Maybe still in the garden. JOKE.

Honestly, I was really not in agreement with you in this statement Let us not focus on what we can or we can't do.

What we can and can’t do is exactly what we need to focus on, only when we do, realizing he gives the strength and the increase to do anything, just as you said and gave the scripture reference. What we can do if a gift from HIM but we CAN AND MOTHERS CAN .

If you saw no rebuke from God, in my reply, I believe then you are very safe in not accepting it either. We are only subject to Godly Rebukes, when they come from God, and yes often they come from through other brothers and sisters mouths and sometimes they are just rhetoric. Knowing the difference is discernment.


To summarize: It is not what the poster, the preacher or the person says, but what is God's saying to us.

Happy Mother’s Day.

 2008/5/11 14:30
moreofHim
Member



Joined: 2003/10/15
Posts: 1632


 Re: Mother's day

I thought this was very nice. Unless you're a mother, you don't know how much pressure there is to be the perfect parent. You feel so responsible for your children and for their outcome. I think it is an important reminder that we as mothers are not in control- God is. We must do the best we can (with the Lord's help of course) and leave the rest to the Lord.

I was really grieved to come on here and see the nit-picking I see so often when I come on here. This is just someone trying to post something encouraging for mothers. I am afraid that many will be afraid to post anything for fear they will be nit-picked to death. Not everything everyone says is going to be 100% perfect, 100% theologically correct or 100% spiritual. A critical spirit is not a nice thing to run into all the time. It makes one very self conscious about everything they say.

Anyway, thanks for the post Moe_mac. Some people do get some encouragement from it :)

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers!!! May the Lord bless you and encourage you and may you feel loved today!

In Christ, Chanin


_________________
Chanin

 2008/5/11 17:57Profile





©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy