SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Secretly, quietly, insidiously, plausibly -ryle

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Secretly, quietly, insidiously, plausibly -ryle

[b]Secretly, quietly, insidiously, plausibly[/b]

(J. C. Ryle, "Pharisees and Sadducees")

"Watch out for false prophets! They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves!" Matthew 7:15

"For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light!" 2 Corinthians 11:13-14

False doctrine does not meet us face to face, and proclaim that it is false. It does not blow a trumpet before it, and endeavor openly to turn us away from the truth as it is in Jesus. It does not come before us in broad day, and summon us to surrender. It approaches us secretly, quietly, insidiously, plausibly, and in such a way as to disarm our suspicion, and throw us off our guard. It is the wolf in sheep's clothing, and Satan in the garb of an angel of light--who have always proved the most dangerous foes of the church of Christ.

Let us be on our guard against the "insidiousness" of false doctrine. Like the fruit of which Eve and Adam ate--at first sight it looks pleasant and good, and a thing to be desired. "Poison" is not written upon it, and so people are not afraid. Like counterfeit coin, it is not stamped "bad." It passes for the real thing, because of the very likeness it bears to the truth.

Let us be on our guard against the "very small beginnings" of false doctrine. Every heresy began at one time, with some little departure from the truth. There is only "a little seed of error" needed to create "a great tree of heresy!" It is the little stones, which make up the mighty building. It was the little pieces of lumber, which made the great ark that carried Noah and his family over a deluged world. It is the little leaven, which infiltrated the whole lump. It is the little flaw in one link of the chain cable, which wrecks the gallant ship, and drowns the crew. It is the omission or addition of one little item in the doctor's prescription, which spoils the whole medicine, and turns it into poison!

Let us never allow a little false doctrine to ruin us, by thinking it is "but a little one," and can do us no harm.

There are three things which we never ought to trifle with:
a little poison,
a little sin, and
a little false doctrine.

Let us read the Bible regularly, daily, and with fervent prayer. Let us receive nothing, believe nothing, follow nothing--which is not in the Bible. Let our rule of faith, our touchstone of all teaching--be the written Word of God. "To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this Word, it is because there is no light in them." Isaiah 8:20

2008/5/7 3:27Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Secretly, quietly, insidiously, plausibly -ryle

It's strange how nearly all the Christian websites I visit seem to be mentioning false prophets.

Maybe God is trying to alert us.

There is also self-deception to contend with. If you are deceived by someone, when their deception is unveiled, then you can walk away from it. But how do you walk away from yourself?

When people want experiences, and they get one, they probably won't question the origin of the experience, because it happened in a 'Christian'
setting.

But we should question everything.

Quote, "but a little one".

Just a little one, a little sin, false doctrine or whatever it is, and a person could be lost for all eternity.

Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen. John 5v21.

2008/5/7 4:28Profile

Amen on the devil transforming himself into an angel of light. Christians be well aware of devil’s schemes. The only way that can be possible is to realize our sinfulness and throw ourselves upon the mercy and grace of Jesus and of what Jesus did on the cross and that take comfort in the fact that he didn’t stay on the cross or in the tomb. He is on the right hand of the Father interceding for whosoever will.

What is the leaven like? . Matt 13:33 Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened. Matt 16:6 Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.7 And they reasoned among themselves, saying, It is because we have taken no bread.8 Which when Jesus perceived, he said unto them, O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread?9 Do ye not yet understand, neither remember the five loaves of the five thousand, and how many baskets ye took up?10 Neither the seven loaves of the four thousand, and how many baskets ye took up?11 How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees?

What is Jesus saying? He is the bread of life. 1 Cor 5:6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

John 5:24-25
24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

His sheep hear his voice and they follow him. John 10:1-14
10:1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
2 But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.
6 This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them.7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
12 But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.13 The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.

Are there more than one fold as we recently heard on news broadcast? Beware of that following and the spokeman's following even when they team up and unite later on and they will unite later. John 10:16-18
16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.
17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

Rev 3:8-11
8 I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.
9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.
10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.
11 Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

Eph 6:14-18
14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

2008/5/7 4:36
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

This is timely truth. So let us beware of a
little poison, a little sin, a little false
doctrine!! Let us be Bereans and prove all
things according to the truth of His Word.

2008/5/7 9:53Profile
AWA40-2

Re:

How are we the Enemies of the Cross, can someone please answer this question for me?

1. Is it how we sin daily, in our thoughts, in our speech? Our doubts?
2. Is it how we deny Him when he beckons at our hearts to stop everything and to get on your knees and pray?
3. Is it how we turn our heads and look the other way when his Spirit is telling us you see that book, I want you to open it and I want you to turn to this chapter and read, and hear what I am telling You, will you obey me?
4. Is it when we forget that he is faithful?

How are we the Enemies of the Cross?

2008/5/7 10:20Profile
Nellie

Re:

This is very timely.
Thanks Greg for posting this, and thanks Moe_Mac for the Scriptures to back it up.
We are living in the last days, and I'm thankful for the people who love God on this site, and are willing to earnestly contend for the Faith.
Everyone should read this, and take heed.
Ask Jesus to help us all get in His Word, and not be deceived.
God Bless all,
Nellie

2008/5/7 10:46Profile

Re:

Quote:

How are we the Enemies of the Cross, can someone please answer this question for me?

1. Is it how we sin daily, in our thoughts, in our speech? Our doubts?
2. Is it how we deny Him when he beckons at our hearts to stop everything and to get on your knees and pray?
3. Is it how we turn our heads and look the other way when his Spirit is telling us you see that book, I want you to open it and I want you to turn to this chapter and read, and hear what I am telling You, will you obey me?
4. Is it when we forget that he is faithful?

How are we the Enemies of the Cross?

When HE died us for us we where yet sinners. We were brought near to him by his blood and been reconciled to the Father by him. Well his word says it better.
Rom 5:8-13

8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

11 And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

13(For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
KJV

Answer to the last question:
If we aren't enemies of the cross anymore we will be thankfully faithful. Not saying perfect or sinless, but we will sin much less.

2008/5/7 10:47
AWA40-2

Re:

Thank you Moe_Mac for answering my question.

1. What is the atonement?
2. And how does the atonement bring us closer to Christ?

2008/5/7 11:06Profile

Re:

Quote:

AWA40-2 wrote:
Thank you Moe_Mac for answering my question.

1. What is the atonement?
2. And how does the atonement bring us closer to Christ?

It took a spotless perfect lamb to atone for sins as a sacrifice in the Old Testament. Jesus was that perfect lamb who once and for all took away the sins of the world for whosoever will.
2 Cor 5:21
21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
KJV
That's why John said:
John 1:29
29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith,[u] Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.[/u]
KJV
Heb 10:13-14
13 Since that time he waits for his enemies to be made his footstool, 14 because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

Rom 3:25-26
25[u] Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past,[/u] through the forbearance of God;
26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.
KJV

1 John 2:2-7
2[u] And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.[/u]
3[b] And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.[/b]
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
7 Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.
KJV

1 John 4:10-19
10[u] Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.[/u]
11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
13[u] Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.[u]

14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.
15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love;[u] and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.[u]
17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.
18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
19[u] We love him, because he first loved us.[/u]
KJV

edit:
As Christians the only reason we can do that is because he lives in us. The mystery of the gospel.

Col 1:27-28
27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of[u] this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:[/u]
28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:
KJV

He sent the comforter (HOLY SPIRIT) when he ascended to the Father to guide us into all truth.

John 16:7-11
7 But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away.[u] Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you;[/u] but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; 10 in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11 and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.

Who is the promise for?
Acts 2:38-41
38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39[u] The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off-for all whom the Lord our God will call.[/u]
40 With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, "Save yourselves from this corrupt generation." 41[u] Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.[/u]

When we study the scriptures, we must rightly divide HIS gift of salvation that is given now, eternally FOR WHOSOEVER WILL with the earthly and eternal rewards given now and then. Now being earthly, Then being heaven.

Heb 11:6
6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is,[u] and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.[/u]
KJV

Hebrews 11 is the hall of faith chapter and it was partaining to provision given by God for Abraham and the other strong faith examples both here on earth and also when they went to be with Jesus.

2008/5/7 11:49

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy