SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Does God honor an unanointed preached word?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Does God honor an unanointed preached word?

Here is a theological question I have been wrestling with of late, and would like your input on it. It is often said and taught that God honors the preaching of the gospel, even if the word that is being spoken is not an anointed "now" sort of word... all simply because the preacher at some point in his postured sermonizing rattled off a few verses from his bible. Is this true?

I ask because I'm attempting to wrestle with something I saw at a "revival" meeting, where the preacher did a pitiful and horrible job preaching Psalm 23. And by that I mean he did what a lot of preachers do: read a passage and then offer the first thought that pops in their head, nevermind that thought has nothing to do with what was just read. It had no anointing on the message. Yet, he received a tremendous response for his "prayer line" in which some things happened that were absolutely fleshly/soulish.

Yet, even in this I believe at some point, something of God was birthed into it all. I did eventually sense God's presence in a strong way, and people really seemed to be blessed. What do you think?

2008/5/4 0:07Profile
BVO

ohio

Re: Does God honor an unanointed preached word?

I heard said of Thomas Boston, puritan, that he had a dream in which he saw satan preaching the gospel from the pulpit. In disbelief he asked how that could be. The response was as long as I preach without the power of the Holy Spirit I can do more damage to the kingdom of God than good.
I have seen what appeared to be results from a very soulish youth event and wondered at it. I have seen people be "affected" by christian entertainment that was false and my conclusion is that God is God and can save a life by the mouth of a donkey, but long term reality and fruit come from anointed truth. I am constantly amazed at the events that end up with 50 decisions out of 300 attending. That's great except they just attemped to duplicate the same weak message and soulishness that got the decision in the first place. I saw a while ago a quote that I don't remember who said but it was roughly that those who enter at the wide gate very seldom seek the narrow way. This has shown itself to be true in my experience. God bless you as you seek Him in this for understanding and wisdom. Love in Christ, Barry

2008/5/4 8:15Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Barry,

Thank you very much for good thoughts. Anybody else?

2008/5/4 8:29Profile

edit:NT:5548
chrio (khree'-o); probably akin to NT:5530 through the idea of contact; to smear or rub with oil, i.e. (by implication) to consecrate to an office or religious service:
KJV - anoint.

God's Word makes it plain that no preaching is anointed by great swelling words but the simple message of gospel truth. When the Apostle Paul was led by the Holy Spirit and wrote most of the New Testament, if you will notice, at times he ran sentences together, in the world's site anyway, as if he was only rambling or babbling.

There is nothing wrong with and it is good for a preacher to study the text that is on the his heart to preach, but most preachers today will not even think about getting in the pulpit unless they have everything outlined, laid out in a pre-planned fashion, a 5 point or 7 point sermon.

Most of the annointed sermons come from preachers who stand up before the people, as Peter did on the Day of Pentecost, with the word of God in their heart and preach it unrehearsed from their heart totally dependent and naked before him. Not in naked in clothing but in dependancy upon him.

Unlike the Apostle Paul, most of today's preachers will not vary very far from their outline, in fear of saying something that is wrong or fear the WORD will offend, and the sinner will feel their sinfuless, which is the only state we can come to the cross and be accepted and receive HIS forgiveness and HIS mercy and grace.

When a preacher, as the devil does, preaches a 99% truth and one lie, the sermon is not anointed, but God can still use HIS truth, not the preachers lie, and HE will use HIS truth to reach the lost. This type scenario happens much today in the church, a percentage of truth and a percentage of lies. It is up to the hearers to discern, by the Holy Spirit, exactly what the perfect and acceptable will of God is, so we can be equipped for every good work.

There is only one way one do that, if God allows us to discern truth. Many people are not dependant enough upon God, in any way, for HIM to allow them to discern truth, much less have their life totally surrendered to him, so God allows them to be deceived. In every area if we are not totally Dependant upon God, whether it is preaching or listening, we can be deceived. Especially when we get puffed up over our knowledge and our ability to use great swelling words in speech.

The devil is most effective when he can convince a person to believe that they are hearing truth from God, but it is not. In other words, since they heard some of the message is truth, it is all got to be truth, but that where the the deception is. I don't know if this was the exactly the question that was asked here but I hope it sheds some light on the subject.

Even many born again Christians don't study their Bible enough and spend time in prayer enough to discern whether the preacher is lying to them or not.

2008/5/4 12:16
roadsign

Re: anointed preaching

I admit, I am not sure what is meant by “anointed’. A lady once told me that her flute was anointed during worship. The meaning of the word seems somewhat subjective – the term we apply to something that feels God-like – implies that he’s “in it”, using it, or empowering it. By our standards, I suppose Jonathan Edward’s sermon “Sinners in the Hand of an Angry God” would not have seemed very anointed when he preached it (or rather read it with a monotone), but the results were remarkable. Still, if someone were to read that sermon today in the pulpit, it will not likely register the same way (or we’d all try it!). There is, of course, much more going on than just the words spoken in a sermon. We can’t easily measure what God is doing.

He can use “donkeys” and fools to bring conviction and revelation. He can use one sentence of a bad sermon. Let’s not underestimate the power of God where there are truly broken and contrite hearts.

God has used in my life some of the worst characters around, yes liberal preachers, even unbelievers to bring deep conviction to me through their messages. (I'm convinced that God's Spirit empowered them for that purpose, because what they said wasn't even congruent with their beliefs)

Let’s not underestimate God!

Most important, I think we need to be extremely cautious when criticizing a message. God may have used it to touch someone deeply, and the last thing they need to hear is how lousy it was.

I tend to be quick to criticize. Therefore I need to be “anointed” enough to be sensitive to what’s going on in the Spirit – so that I don’t cause my brother or sister to stumble (over any hurdle I may have erected).

EDIT: Of course none of this is meant to debunk the important discipline of good homiletics.

Diane

2008/5/4 14:59Profile
Baohongen

Runge, TX USA

On a college mission trip I easily heard the worst sermon I have ever heard preached. After it was over a woman ran down the aisle with tears streaming from her eyes and repented of her sin putting her trust in Christ. I decided it is true: God does work in mysterious ways.

It was an aweful sermon. It made no logical sense, and yet the Holy Spirit used that preacher on that day and spoke to that women's heart. As a result I do not think of annointed as having much to do with quality and much more to do with the power of the Holy Spirit at work through the preacher and the preached word.

I believe that without the presence of the Holy Spirit at work, a message preached on holiness for example can lead to legalism. That same message preached in the power of the Holy Spirit will bring conviction. The Holy Spirit works to bring people into relationship with God and away from stale religious ritual. It's about changing lives and not just changing minds. The work is not always visible at the invitation, but a deep work is taking place within the church and each member. I find my best sermons have me flat on my face the night before thinking "I'm in trouble." Almost every week the Holy Spirit leads me to the end of myself, so that he might reign and speak his word through me.

This is all of course just my opinion. I am still learning about these things, and I fully expect that to be a lifelong process.

Heath Powers

2008/5/4 22:41Profile
dohzman

Anointing is something set apart for God's service, in penecostal circles it has become known for a type of the moving of the Holy Spirit, a quickening to life, fruitfulness, etc... but the truth is it's suposed to be something/someone set apart for God's service (consecrated). I have seen backslidden ministers pray for people and they get healed, big major manifest healings. Some might be quick to give the devil credit, but I see God the Father circumventing the pulpit and touching His own blood bought child. I'm not so quick to give the devil credit because I believe in the soverienity of God in all things. I was recently visiting a church where the pastors sermon seemed ok but during altar time he proclaimed that he had the "anointing" and under the anointing he said that there would be 7 more years of prosperity and blessing, I got up and left.

I believe God will honor His Word no matter what. If people are at a service seeking I believe if just the Word of God is read out loud, no commentary/preaching/teaching nothing, just the Word Read, hungry hearts will hear the voice of God and respond. And the Father who knows the hearts of His children will move toward them in compassion.

2008/5/4 23:18Profile
roadsign

Re: the "danger" of preaching

Quote:
I believe that without the presence of the Holy Spirit at work, a message preached on holiness for example can lead to legalism. That same message preached in the power of the Holy Spirit will bring conviction. The Holy Spirit works to bring people into relationship with God and away from stale religious ritual.

Heath, your words bless and encourage me!

I confess, in my past I got turned off of preaching. Sermons deposited on me heavy loads, and, unknown to me, caused guilt to intensify over the years. This burden came to a head through severe trials when I was unable to fulfill normal responsibilities – let alone the demands of a “better” Christian. More than a few sermons nearly pushed me over the edge.

In a sense, a preacher holds a “bullet” in his hands. How he discharges it is a matter of life and death. A preacher can destroy listeners or he can lead them to the springs of eternal life. I praise God that he has used broken preachers, authors, friends, etc such as you to lead me to the Springs.

That reminds me of words by Richard Baxter:
“preaching as a dying man to dying men,”
and Ian Hall:
“What you ARE, your preaching IS. …
Remember, you can only preach what is truly yours.”

The act of preaching violates all natural predispositions. We want to cling to our own ability and strength, and to wrap it around ourselves like a security garment. And when entering that pulpit, oh, how tempting it is to wrap that garment still tighter. After all, the risk is enormous. Preaching is a spiritual duty deployed in a typically unspiritual environment. Congregants are absorbed in the temporal issues of life. Unless hearts are softened by the Spirit, there is a good chance that they will misinterpret the message: squeeze it into their own views of life. They may criticize the preacher, falsely accuse. The risk of being turfed is an ever present reality in this battle for the kingdom of God. But far more serious is the risk of preaching for the sake of popularity and the approval of man: self-preservation. And in that way the Spirit is quenched.

Quote:
I find my best sermons have me flat on my face the night before thinking "I'm in trouble." Almost every week the Holy Spirit leads me to the end of myself, so that he might reign and speak his word through me.

Praise God! And the result:

“Men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.” 2 Pet. 1:21

Quote:
This is all of course just my opinion. I am still learning about these things, and I fully expect that to be a lifelong process.

May this be so!

“It is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.”

Diane Eaton

2008/5/5 9:04Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Quote:
Here is a theological question I have been wrestling with of late, and would like your input on it. It is often said and taught that God honors the preaching of the gospel, even if the word that is being spoken is not an anointed "now" sort of word... all simply because the preacher at some point in his postured sermonizing rattled off a few verses from his bible. Is this true?

How do these verses fit in the mix?

Phl 1:14 And many of the brethren in the Lord, waxing confident by my bonds, are much more bold to speak the word without fear.
Phl 1:15 Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:
Phl 1:16 The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:
Phl 1:17 But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel.
Phl 1:18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.
Phl 1:19 For I know that this shall turn to my salvation through your prayer, and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ,
Phl 1:20 According to my earnest expectation and [my] hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but [that] with all boldness, as always, [so] now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether [it be] by life, or by death.

Paul rejoiced even though the man might preach "Christ of contention." Surely a man who with preaching like that wouldn't be considered "anointed."

"For I know that this shall turn to my salvation through your prayer." I'm curious as to why he says that right after he talks about some preaching with wrong motives? What is "this"? Is it those preaching "in pretence, or in truth?"

2008/5/5 10:46Profile

Re:

I think the first question should be... what does "unannointed" mean?

Obviously a blatantly false teaching is not annointed.

But KJ, you say the preacher did a horrible job preaching on the passage he read. What does that mean? You're trained, so you probably have a very systematic way of preaching, and a systematic way you like to hear preaching. There is nothing wrong with that. But I know for me, there have been times when I've brought a teaching to our body of believers where I had the teaching all mapped out and knew where I was going, and all the points I felt God wanted me to make... and in the course of the teaching I veered from where I thought I was going into a completely different direction... and didn't end up anywhere near where I thought I would... and God moved among those who were listening.

And if a stranger was there, and heard it, they might have come away with the same conclusion... that was a horrible teaching on that first verse he started out with. Yea, it might have been, but God took the whole thing in a different direction because He had somethings He wanted to do in a few hearts.

So... what is meant by annointed?

There are those who believe goosebumps are the standard by which we should judge annointing. We seem to be seeing a growing number of those folks popping up on this forum. Scripture is no longer the measuring stick, goosebumps are.

Obviously that's horribly wrong and spiritually immature.

Are we all annointed to preach the gospel? We are commanded to go into all the world and preach and teach and make disciples. Thats not the "world of the elect", as the some of the Calvinists here believe. It's the "whole world". If we are commanded, are we not also then annointed to carry it out?

Krispy

2008/5/5 11:29

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy