SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What's So Spiritual About Your Gifts?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
moreofHim

What's So Spiritual About Your Gifts?

I just read this small book by Blackaby recently. Of course, what I am familiar with is all the "tests" for spritual gifts. This book suggests that these tests mostly show what your talents are. And that the Holy Spirit is our "gift".

The main thing I took away from it was not to limit yourself to just those one or two areas that you think you are gifted in- but to step out of those areas because God wants to show what HE can do through you- not what you can do in your natural ability.

If we only do those things we think we are gifted in- that will mostly be in our ouwn strength and ability. Who will get the glory for that if you are already good at these things?

But if we are sensative to God's leading, He may want us to do many more things that are not in our area of "expertise" just to show the power of the Holy Spirit working through you (not our own power).

It does say that IF we have certain talents and abilities- to still use those for the body of Christ- where you see the need. I guess I see the truth in all of this- yet don't we all have certain callings and giftings as stated by Paul?

Still thinking all of this through.

Any thoughts from others. :-)

In Him, Chanin

2004/6/21 14:41Profile
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re: What's So Spiritual About Your Gifts?

First off, I must say, that I have been tremendously blessed by Henry Blackaby's ministry the last 5 years or so. Secondly, I have only read a small portion of the book, so I can't address your question specifically.

However, knowing what I know of Mr. Blackaby and seeing the fruit of his ministry I can state with much assurance that he is not denying Paul's teaching of spiritual gifts (callings) in Romans or Ephesians, etc. Brother Henry is simply trying to help people not limit the leading of the Holy Spirit to, as you mentioned, their expertise.

Have you read any of his other books? To get a better idea of where he is coming from, I'd suggest his curriculum, Experiencing God. There is a book, however, the workbook / Bible study is much better. It is excellent for a small group setting (or even with your prayer partner, spouse, etc. if no groups are available). The workbook is a 15-week study of how God reveals Himself to His people and then to the world. It is a great study and has changed my life. (The workbook is available through his web page or CBD.)

If you aren't able to do the study now, I'd also recommend his new book, Holiness. It is a collection of three of his sermons. Brother Henry's heart longs for revival. Reading these sermons you will get the feel for his ministry and see that he is not negating any Biblical teaching on spiritual gifts. These sermons will also challenge you spiritually. It is a really intense book! Here is the description from his web page:

"If there is anything that characterizes God's people in America today, it is the loss of the fear of God," states Henry Blackaby. When you do not fear God, he contends, you will not fear sin. The troubling result of this issue is that many Christians fail to recognize that they have sinned against God. The lack of holiness within the Church has reached epidemic levels. "True revival can only come," notes Blackaby, "when the people of God return to a healthy, holy fear of Him." God, in His holiness, is grieved by our lack of it. In this worthy book, Blackaby urges believers to look inward, to see sin from God's perspective, and to live to the standard that He has set in Scripture. He writes, "The salvation of the nation has little to do with Washington or Hollywood--it has to do with the people of God!" As referenced in 2 Chronicles 7:14, Blackaby notes that the redemption of America lies in the repentance of the people of God. He challenges readers by adding, "If America depended on your prayer life, would there be revival?" Revival waits on the holiness of His people; this book provides the path that will lead us back.

His web page also has his speaking schedule in case he is near your area. If you are able to go, Henry will sit and talk with you about any questions you may have. He really has a pastor's heart to shepherd the flock. I do know he'll be in Texas over Labor Day weekend.

I hope this helps.

[url=http://www.blackaby.org/]Blackaby.org[/url]
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2206&forum=40#13981]Conference[/url]

2004/6/21 15:56Profile

The Gifts and Callings of God are without repentance, Scripture declares; thus, you're quite right in your asking whther or not Believers have certain gifts etc etc.

When I was in Bible College our professor gave each one of us a few sheets of paper that would in the end, after filling out the appropriate boxes, "show us what our gifts were".

I refused to take the test, as did one other student.

Why?

Because a sheet of paper tells me nothing; God is the One who sets Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, Pastors and Teachers in the Body....

We SHOULD use our "natural" talents where the need is present; yet, we must see that nothing about our "natural" talent is "just natural"; God gives ALL good gifts to His People, and thus we should affirm that all of our being is in Christ and all of our movement stems from our relationship with Him.

Many talk about a "giving" ministry or a "prophetci" ministry etc etc...

Paul said in 1 Corinthians that we could ALL prophesy....

As for the "giving gift", every true Child of God gives when there is a genuine need, regardless.

The point?

Each of us has a gift from God, and we are to use those Gifts to bless the Church.

Daniel

2004/6/21 15:57
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Miss Chanin,

Your posts are always very though provoking and convicting. When you exhorted us to desire eagerly other gifts it made me think of the verse in 1Corinthinas 12 “31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.”

The “more excellent way” he goes on to speak of in Chapter 13 is love. Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part; but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away (verse 8-10).

Before I read your post the tile, “what is so spiritual about your gift”, made me really think of the purpose of the gifts we as members of the church all have. Hebrew 2:3-4 speaks, “How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him; God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?”

I think that if our motives are pure (for the glory of God), The Holy Spirit will continue to bear witness with us with gifts according to his will. If we have heard him, we must continue to testify this, one to another, and indeed to the whole world. The way I see it, his gifts validate our testimony.

Romans 12:3-9 “3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, F50 according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith. 4 For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office: 5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another. 6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; 7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; 8 Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, F51 let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.”

Therefore, if I understand correctly, our gifts are proportional to the measure of faith that God has dealt to all of us who believe in his name. Jude has exhorted us to contend for more faith, “Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.” (verse3)

James

2004/6/21 16:20Profile
moreofHim

Re: gifts

Thanks for your replies. Yes, Matthew, I have read Holiness. Very good.

Jimm, you brought up a good point about love being the more excellent way. I can never go wrong with love (and the other fruits of the spirit.) If nothing else- i think having and showing love (and peace and gentleness and kindness, etc...)well, you just can't go wrong with those.

Here are a couple of things in the book which stood out to me:

"We've often heard people confess to being "far from the Lord"- while in their next breath telling us what their "spiritual gift' is! This is impossible.

We must understand a simple principle: If you do not walk in the Spirit, you do not have a spiritual gift. Apart from the Holy Spirit, whatever "gifts" we display can only be our natural talents, drawing attention to self."

"The gift of the Holy Spirit is primarily about God and His work, not about you and your work."

"In equipping us to do God's will, the Holy Spirit doesn't give us a talent, skill or ability to use as we desire, He gives us HIMSELF, then HE accomplishes the Father's will through our lives. -

If we are content to serve God by giving our own greatest effort(our own talents) the result will be:
we don't need or rely on the Holy Spirit because we are confident in our own abilities and are under the delusion that we have everything under control. [b]The world, therefore, looks at the church and sees good people doing good things for God, but they don't see the power of God working through His people to accomplich what only HE could do."[/b]

in Him, Chanin

2004/6/21 17:00Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

"We've often heard people confess to being "far from the Lord"- while in their next breath telling us what their "spiritual gift' is! This is impossible.

There are exceptions to this rule. The High Priest responsible for the death of Christ prophesied that it is better that one man should die. He was very far from God. Though, in general, it's a good rule of thumb to believe if somebody is not living their life for God, then they are probably not going to be used in any of the gifts.

Quote:

If we are content to serve God by giving our own greatest effort(our own talents) the result will be:
we don't need or rely on the Holy Spirit because we are confident in our own abilities and are under the delusion that we have everything under control. The world, therefore, looks at the church and sees good people doing good things for God, but they don't see the power of God working through His people to accomplich what only HE could do."

AMEN!!!!

It is sad though that often today the case is we are more concerned about using natural talents rather than the power of the Spirit. Yeah, we talk about 'God sized ideas', vision, felt needs, etc., yet when things are broken down, all this translates into "we are going to do things without the power of God."

2004/6/21 17:10Profile
moreofHim

Re: gifts

Jimmy,

Quote:

yes, i wondered about this statement also. there were just a few things that kind of gave me the feeling that maybe he was tyring to argue against another teaching that he didn't particularly like. do you know what i mean. i think many of the things he said were good- but i am wondering if it's just a reason to argue someone's elses ways of doing things.

see, i am still thinking about all of this. it didn't "rest" with me. hasn't yet.

thanks.

In Him, chanin

2004/6/21 17:22Profile
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re:

Henry is also very fond of quoting John 15:5

"I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.

Thus, one who claims they are "far from the Lord" would not be "abiding" in Christ and therefore able to do "nothing". Perhaps brother Henry was addressing something specific that was said. I know in the past he has addressed false teachings like the Purpose Driven Life series, but exposing false teacher has not been the main focus of his ministry (as it is others). I would have to believe that if Henry felt lead to address this issue, it was because it was a grievous error in someone's thinking, and not simply for the sake of "arguing". That is not his style. Just from reading this brief quotation from the book, John 15:5 sounds like where he is going with that statement. That would also answer the response about the high priest, sometimes we are in fellowship with God, and other times we are not. If that is not satisfactory, we can always look to Baalam's donkey as an example of God using someone (something) that is not in a proper relationship with Himself.

Lord willing, I hope and pray to go to the conference that I mentioned in Texas. As long as the Lord allows both Henry and I to be there, I would be happy to ask him personally to address the question. If I can articulate the question the way you would like it proposed I will present it to him. (Unless you get an answer before then.)

2004/6/21 18:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy