SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : dreaming dreams

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

dreaming dreams

I think I am getting old; I have begun to 'dream dreams'. This one came early yesterday morning.

I was watching a broad sweep of sandy beach. The tide was coming in relentlessly; each wave came further up the beach. My attention was taken by a single pebble. It stood upright like a lonely sentinel against the incoming tide. As the waves reached the pebble there was a brief splash and then it vanished under the persistent tide.

My thought was 'what a pointless exercise in resistence'. Then the dream went into playback in slow motion and I watched again as the wave hit the pebble. The wave splash became a cascade of droplets. They caught the sun and for the briefest of moments a shimmering rainbow was visible in the spray; then it was gone.

And the thought came, crystal clear, that God had seen the rainbow and been pleased. It was as though human observation had only seen the apparent pointlessness of the momentary resistence but in God's heart the beauty of the rainbow-flash was printed indelibly.

So in our eartly battle what are we living for? Spectacular successes or moments which please God? Is it my job to turn back the tide or to remain faithful in the spot where God has placed me?

2004/6/21 5:35Profile
moreofHim

Re: dreaming dreams

Ron,

thank you so much for posting this! It is beautiful. I understand this so well since this has been one of the main ways for the Lord to speak to me. Wow, what an encouragement for you. These little things, these little messages can mean so much. isn't it amazing that He can care so much to let us in on these things?!

This has been an encouragement for me today as well. Yes, He is a God that is interested in the details of our life.

Stay faithful, even though you may feel opposition or feel alone or feel that you are not doing some great big thing. God is pleased.

In Him, Chanin

2004/6/21 9:21Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re: dreaming dreams

Quote:
I think I am getting old; I have begun to 'dream dreams'.

Well, if you never have dreams, that may be the case. But I'm 21 and I dream lots of dreams every night and morning! I have my whole life. I think it may be because (1) I think too much when I'm awake and (2) I have a big imagination. I have actually been surprised to find that others don't dream like I do. I thought it was a normal thing everyone experienced.

Quote:
So in our earthly battle what are we living for? Spectacular successes or moments which please God? Is it my job to turn back the tide or to remain faithful in the spot where God has placed me?

I think I'm learning to please God in moments. I've been one to think so far into the future all the time, that I don't live in the present. Plans are good and so is wise living, but I've learned to just be ready for anything. Yes, I have my standards, and the way I've thought for years, but if God wants me to change any part that makes up who I am, am I willing? Or am I going to cling to my wisdom, my rules, my spirituality, my plans?

This life isn't about us. The more flexible we are to God's ways and His direction, I think the more He can accomplish through us. Whether you're a carnal Christian, or a spiritually prideful one, I think we all need to be challenged to find the middle of the two extremes. The focus of life shouldn't be on our personal gain or comfort, or even our Christian rules, but rather how we can be more like Jesus. Everyday we have opportunities, or could, to exercise Jesus' love to others, and not just with pure, clean, good Christians like ourselves, but with the offending, self-seeking, worldly unsaved peoples.

2004/6/21 14:38Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Re: What is your life?

Philologos

That was a beautiful post! Am I right to assume that you were making a reference to the passage in Joel 2 “28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: 29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.”

There was something very spiritual about that story, and I am still chewing on it. It makes me think of that passage in James 4 “Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.”

While we are on this topic, I must tell you all that I have encountered a few young men who see visions. We are certainly in “those days”, and it is not a thing to be grasped that the Spirit of the living God lives in us. What a wonderful exhortation! You have made my day.

James

2004/6/21 15:34Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Am I right to assume that you were making a reference to the passage in Joel 2 “28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: 29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.”

yes.

2004/6/21 16:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy