SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE (BIBLICAL SCHOLAR OR NOT?)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE (BIBLICAL SCHOLAR OR NOT?)

Biblical Scholars Challenge Pelosi's 'Scripture' Quote
By Pete Winn
CNSNews.com Senior Staff Writer
April 23, 2008

(CNSNews.com) - House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) is fond of quoting a particular passage of Scripture. The quote, however, does not appear in the Bible and is "fictional," according to biblical scholars.

In her April 22 Earth Day news release, Pelosi said, "The Bible tells us in the Old Testament, 'To minister to the needs of God's creation is an act of worship. To ignore those needs is to dishonor the God who made us.' On this Earth Day, and every day, let us pledge to our children, and our children's children, that they will have clean air to breathe, clean water to drink, and the opportunity to experience the wonders of nature."

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Blog/Default.aspx

2008/4/24 23:07
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE (BIBLICAL SCHOLAR OR NOT?)

Hi moe...

I think that I might have heard that "verse" somewhere in [i]An Inconvenient Truth[/i].

;-)

2008/4/25 0:36Profile
pastorfrin

Re: SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE (BIBLICAL SCHOLAR OR NOT?)

Quote:

moe_mac wrote:
Biblical Scholars Challenge Pelosi's 'Scripture' Quote
By Pete Winn
CNSNews.com Senior Staff Writer
April 23, 2008

(CNSNews.com) - House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) is fond of quoting a particular passage of Scripture. The quote, however, does not appear in the Bible and is "fictional," according to biblical scholars.

In her April 22 Earth Day news release, Pelosi said, "The Bible tells us in the Old Testament, 'To minister to the needs of God's creation is an act of worship. To ignore those needs is to dishonor the God who made us.' On this Earth Day, and every day, let us pledge to our children, and our children's children, that they will have clean air to breathe, clean water to drink, and the opportunity to experience the wonders of nature."

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Blog/Default.aspx

"The Bible tells us"
This is definitly not a quote; so how can one take something that is a positive statement that is taught throughout the Bible and turn it into a negative? Who does this edify?

2008/4/25 8:13Profile

Re:

I FOUND IT!!

It's in II Hezekiah chapter 13.

Krispy

2008/4/25 9:33
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
I FOUND IT!!

It's in II Hezekiah chapter 13.

Krispy

And depending on what translation and text you use it is either verse 23, 25, or in some cases it's omitted completely.

2008/4/25 10:33Profile
Compton

Re:

Of course we must remember to not take the verse out of context by also quoting the verse which precedes it, To thine ownself be true.

MC

2008/4/25 10:58Profile

Re:

Quote:
And depending on what translation and text you use it is either verse 23, 25, or in some cases it's omitted completely.

Ironically... among all the omissions in the NIV, the 5 books of Hezekiah are actually [b]only[/b] found in the NIV! Strange, very strange indeed...

(Some poor gullible soul is right now rifling thru his NIV looking for them... lol)

Krispy

2008/4/25 11:25
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi pastorfrin...

Quote:
"The Bible tells us"
This is definitly not a quote; so how can one take something that is a positive statement that is taught throughout the Bible and turn it into a negative? Who does this edify?

Actually, it appears that she was trying to quote it. It isn't a concept that she is relating, but a specific set of words that she seems to try and quote.

But why? What was she trying to say? Let consider her words: "[i]To minister to the needs of God's creation is an act of worship. To ignore those needs is to dishonor the God who made us[/i]."

I certainly agree that we should do our best to not pollute rivers and oceans. We shouldn't be given to litter. We should keep the world as lovely as possible because to do otherwise hides the fact that the "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork" (Psalm 19:1 - a [u]real[/u] verse).

Earth was created for mankind. God gave mankind dominion over the entire Earth and every creature in it. We are, of course, the caretakers of the world that God gave to us. We shouldn't be wasteful or bad stewards. Yet we have every right to use it as we see fit in order to make a living for ourselves and our family. We can use the plants and animals for food and clothing, and consume trees, sand and mud to manufacture our homes. We should be mindful of species and prevent their extinction -- in a similar manner to how God protected them from extinction during the Flood. If we chop down trees, we could easily replace them with seedlings. In a sense, we are simply fulfilling our role as good stewards.

The danger in Ms. Pelosi's remarks, however, comes in the idea of [i]Earth-worship[/i]. There are individuals who promote the value of the Earth ABOVE the value of human beings. They stray from simply warning individuals about good stewardship and venture into chiding mankind for eating meat, "slaughtering" trees, or using resources for our own benefit.

It has always amazed me that some people are far more concerned with saving whales and penguins than the inhumane slaughter of unborn children who feel the pains of their murder. I have read about activists who chained themselves to trees; yet, these same activists mock anti-abortion demonstrators as being "mindless radicals." There is something wrong with this picture.

A few months ago, I read some posts on a message board at an environmental website. The more radical (and applauded) environmentalists went so far as to say that mankind needs to revert back to dwelling in mud homes, use no "fossil" fuels, and reject the use of automobiles or airplanes. Ironically, these comments came from some of the leaders of the movement. The others seemed to feel badly that they still used automobiles.

This is when we cross the plane of common sense. Such environmentalists no longer appreciate their dominion over the Earth -- but desire the Earth to hold dominion over us. This is contrary to the will of God. And those same environmentalists are also the most ardent supporters of abortion. Why? Because a larger population would "rob" the Earth of its "precious" resources. In other words, the respect the creation more than the Creator.

As believers, we should set an example in word and action. We should appreciate the things that God has given us and serve as a good steward of his gifts. If we own a home, we should keep it clean as best we can. If we hunt and kill animals, it should be in the knowledge that it provides food and skin. We should probably do our best to recycle, since we don't want excess cans and trash in our cities and towns. But we shouldn't allow Earth worshippers to dictate the morality of our habits. That role is reserved for God and the conscience that He has given us.

:-)

2008/4/25 11:48Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Quote:

Compton wrote:
Of course we must remember to not take the verse out of context by also quoting the verse which precedes it, To thine ownself be true.

MC

Or what about this one from the book of 4th John (Lennon) chapter 1 verse 1: "[i]Imagine there's no Heaven; It's easy if you try[/i]..." I've heard many a politician quote this verse.

And what about the verse that is demonstrated around the world -- especially in Pelosi's district of San Francisco: "[i]Do what thou want, shall be the whole of the Law[/i]." Oh wait, I think that was from the Book of [u]Satan[/u].

:-(

2008/4/25 11:54Profile

Re:

CCChhhrrriiisss said:
In other words, the respect the creation more than the Creator.

Man you hit the nail right on the head and unlike Ms. Poloski you actually used scripture. This passage below so well describes Speaker Poloski and her followers about those things mentioned as well as other things that they promote and approve of.

Rom 1:24-28

24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, [b]and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised. Amen.[/b]

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

28 Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done
(from New International Version)

2008/4/25 14:53

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy